Old 03-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #21
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
BTW, a slightly haywire AP setup at 7 knots is one thing, at thirty knots it is a disaster. So the fast outboard guys lurking here, don't go with a slow trawler setup.
Good point. Didn't think about that.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
One more thing about it... to add a second station to the lower helm only cost $50 for a second socket for the hand held controller. THAT was the selling point for me.
Yes I also added that plug to the lower station in case I ever want to use it there.

I will also add that when I did the installation, I used 3 mini shut off valves at the "T" and ran hydraulic hose (all purchased thru McMaster Carr) from there to the pump. This way I didn't loose more than a teaspoon of oil when I did the install, and if I ever have to replace the pump I can do it easily.

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #23
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Autopilot suggestions

Yes if you go into standby to dodge something before re-engaging the the AP reset the XTE. That's only if you use the Nav feature.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #24

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Autopilot with cable steering

How about installing an autopilot on a slow trawler with chain/cable steering? Does the steering have to converted to hydraulic or can the autopilot ram and pump just be added to the existing system? Looking for recommendations on a simple solution mainly just course keeping.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #25
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It may depend on your electronics, but if 0183 NE MA inputs to everything, switching brands is just a matter of figuring out wires...not really a big deal so go with either works for you stylewise or pricewise.

I asked Jason Kennedy with Standard Horizon what AP would work with my cp590 display. He replied any of the modern APs would work, getting the data wiring correct isn't a problem.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #26
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Skipper2

The most difficult thing when installing an autopilot on an outboard or sterndrive boat is fitting the rudder feedback sensor. Around 2007 Simrad introduced VRF (virtual rudder feedback) in the AP25/26/27 and on the newer AP24/28 systems, which eliminated the need for the rudder feedback sensor in many outboard powered boats. I believe the Si-Tex SP110 also has VRF.

The exposed position sensor is a huge PITA, just ask anyone with a center-cockpit boat equipped with an autopilot, or better yet, check it out on the forums. It is the single most common point of failure in these installations due to the exposed location.

That said, I've also heard that there can be a problem with VRF in some lighter boats with sensitive steering, at low speeds it does not work that well. I'm sure the builder, Rosborough Boats, could give you some precise guidance on this.

Perhaps by now, other autopilot manufacturers may also offer VRF, and I'm sure the steering algorithms continue to improve . You may want to include this option in your decision.

Best of luck
Old 03-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
How about installing an autopilot on a slow trawler with chain/cable steering? Does the steering have to converted to hydraulic or can the autopilot ram and pump just be added to the existing system? Looking for recommendations on a simple solution mainly just course keeping.
It's been a while since I've installed one but they used to, and may still, make electromechanical rams the you mounted next to and then attached to your rudder quadrant. They also have ones where a hydraulic pump is either directly mounted to the ram or close by linked to it via short hoses.The nice thing about those is that if your cable steering breaks you can in most cases still steer with the autopilot.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:37 PM   #28
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
A key thing is to ask how the autopilot software is updated. Some require (Raymarine) that you update them from an MFD of the same brand.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #29
FF
Guru

"How about installing an autopilot on a slow trawler with chain/cable steering?"

The simplest is to contact the fellow that was selling a Wood Freeman in the sales section.

The usual is to change the sprocket behind the wheel to a dual one and use a new chain on the new second sprocket.

If numerous long ocean passages are your deal, the WF would be worth the effort.

Personally I would not bother,, I would purchase an external drive unit as used on many wheel steering sail boats.
These use a large toothed pulley bolted in front of or behind the steering wheel.

A small motor operating a toothed belt makes the correction force.

These are modern sophisticated units , that do not require hyd pumps , rams or HD switching units.

They work because the wheel center does not shift over time , the joy of all mechanical steering.

You have it EASY!

Raymarine SmartPilot X-5 Wheel Pilot Corepack | E12133

Ray marine is only one example of this style autopilot, there are numerous others.

I would look on the SSCA forum for ideas from folks that have used them to cross many oceans.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #30

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Capt Bill and FF. Thanks for the suggestions

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote