Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #21
City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I have three. A self releasing halon positioned over each main engine, a CO2 self releasing and a second CO2 manual release. The boat was licensed for 50 day passengers before I bought it. Way more than needed but happy to get it.
I've been to 3 USN firefighting schools. The trick is early notification and quick action on your part. Fires usually start small and smoke and smolder for some time before flashing. A sensor that senses fumes, not just smoke or heat is a better defense. You may stop a fire before it starts.
A runaway diesel is very rare, most engineers never see one. Engines in good repair. receiving proper maintenance don't runaway. The best stop is a method that slowly stops the air flow. A very quick air stop can cause the engine to suck in seals and gaskets. From others experiences I prefer rags in the intake. They don't go far and are easy to clean out. I've only seen 1 runaway 60 years ago on a very big marine diesel. I was a boy watching my dad, a chief engineer evaluating the engine for a ship owner to determine if it could go longer before overhaul. Turned out it couldn't.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member
City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I have seen a few marine engine rooms with Fireboy Halon systems installed, including my boat. AFAIK, it is SOP to set up the system so that the engine stops when the Fireboy is triggered. Probably the main reason is to keep the diesel from ingesting the Halon and exhausting it, thereby keeping it from doing its job.

Can a diesel engine run on Halon in the absence of diesel, if the Fireboy system has triggered the stop solenoid? I really doubt that. That is why Halon, or modern day equivalents are used- it puts out fires by depriving them of oxygen. It doesn't burn itself.

How reliable are the Fireboy engine shutdown systems? Well, I suppose the Cummins type of energize to run is more reliable than the Yanmar type of energize to stop. No matter how the Cummins type loses its electrical energization- an electrical failure due to the fire or the Fireboy doing it, the engine will stop. But I will be that the difference is not material.

So, hook up your Fireboy to the engine stop system.

Not to hijack the thread but I also have Cummins with the "energized on"
And fire boy system.
Anyone ever have their fuel solenoid fail?
I always liked my detroits, on previous boat, for that reason they were energize to shut down.
Just another thing to go wrong, when picking up my new to me boat starboard fuel solenoid had a loose wire and shut down. Fortunately only took me a few mins to diagnose and back on the trail.
I've thought about carrying a spare but cummins told mr they sell very few of them.

Panacea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #23
City: Brookline
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Ken? Do you remember the Approximate Cost of installing a FireBoy System?
PO did it so I'm not sure though I should have the receipt someplace. I think the equipment alone was in the 4-5k range plus installation.

kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:43 AM   #24
Folks that have fuel tanks that are connected from a low point can find fuel valves made for house tanks that will self close in a fire.

$10-$15 or so might be a help.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:26 AM   #25
City: Melbourne, FL
Many newer fire control systems use FM-200 which is heptofleuropropane since Halon was ruled bad for the environment.

This will support life but not fire. You have to stop the engine and blowers to allow it to displace the air in the ER to stop the fire. The right way has dampers controlled by the fire control system that shut before deployment.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #26
City: Bass Harbor
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
The systems are easy to install. When I repowered I put in a Fireboy system. The procedure is basically as follows:

1. Mount the fire extinguisher bottle
2. Run wires from the bottle to the shut down control and to the helm station control/override panel
3. Run wires from the shut down control to the engine shut down solenoid and to anything else that needs to be shut down (blower, etc.). The only tricky part is connecting the wiring to the engine shut down solenoid properly, but that is easy if you have the wiring diagram for your engine.

My Fireboy shut down system has multiple relays to shut down blowers and the engine stop solenoid. Options are available for NO and NC solenoids (i.e., remove power to stop and add power to stop).

On mine the hardest part was pulling the wires in.

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote