Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
yamabuki's Avatar
 
City: Spring City
Country: USA
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 45
Auto pilot

We have a simrad auto pilot system that was working fine until the AP300 control unit packed up, we have seen a couple of units for sale but not sure how good and how long they will last and pricey, as everything else was working fine and the reversible pump was changed in 2007 and has done nothing much since.
Is there any way I can use the existing hardware with some different control head , simrad of course do not support this old stuff.
__________________
Advertisement

yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,676
If the pump is sized correctly, you should be able to re-use that. When we installed the Simrad AP24 in 2009, we kept the installed pump after checking the brushes. We still havenít had to mess with it after 15,000 miles.

The pump was unbranded. The old system was a Robertson. We sold the remote, computer and one control head on EBay for over $1,000. It made the upgrade pretty painless.
__________________

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
City: Hughesville, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 358
Which junction box or AP computer do you have with that system?
GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member
 
yamabuki's Avatar
 
City: Spring City
Country: USA
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 45
Auto pilot

Thanks you did ok, the replaced pump was a simrad RPU80/160/300 so I'm assuming it was the right one. I did wonder if any other conctrol head would work, like an AP 22 for instance.
yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member
 
yamabuki's Avatar
 
City: Spring City
Country: USA
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 45
Auto pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
Which junction box or AP computer do you have with that system?
Don't know so will have to crawl around and get some numbers.
yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,938
Are you talking about the control head not working or the computer?

If the computer, what is the computer model number?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
Guru
 
boomerang's Avatar
 
City: Kilmarnock VA
Country: united states
Vessel Name: YellowBird MMSI 367769170
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship m1 #149
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabuki View Post
Thanks you did ok, the replaced pump was a simrad RPU80/160/300 so I'm assuming it was the right one. I did wonder if any other conctrol head would work, like an AP 22 for instance.
The RPU 80, 160 & 300 are three different pumps. Almost any autopilot will drive the 80 as it is a low amp draw motor. The 160 is the most common pump generally found on boats 30-45' long. The 300 is a much larger pump and requires a larger junction box to drive it. You probably have the RPU160.
__________________
-Shawn-
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member
 
yamabuki's Avatar
 
City: Spring City
Country: USA
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 45
Auto pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Are you talking about the control head not working or the computer?

If the computer, what is the computer model number?
No itís the control head, everything else was working till that packed up and it was getting power to it.
yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member
 
yamabuki's Avatar
 
City: Spring City
Country: USA
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 45
Auto pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
The RPU 80, 160 & 300 are three different pumps. Almost any autopilot will drive the 80 as it is a low amp draw motor. The 160 is the most common pump generally found on boats 30-45' long. The 300 is a much larger pump and requires a larger junction box to drive it. You probably have the RPU160.
Thanks I was reading from the literature that came with the pump and covered all three.
yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member
 
yamabuki's Avatar
 
City: Spring City
Country: USA
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 45
Auto pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
If the pump is sized correctly, you should be able to re-use that. When we installed the Simrad AP24 in 2009, we kept the installed pump after checking the brushes. We still havenít had to mess with it after 15,000 miles.

The pump was unbranded. The old system was a Robertson. We sold the remote, computer and one control head on EBay for over $1,000. It made the upgrade pretty painless.
This system is a Robertson, taken over by simrad I expect. As it worked fine before calamity I assume the motor is the right size.
yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #11
Guru
 
River Cruiser's Avatar
 
City: UMR MM283
Country: US
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,334
There is a marine electronic seller on eBay, Iíve bought several items from him and have always been pleased with the condition. Max Marine is the seller, I would search his site for a replacement.
__________________
Ron on Northern Lights II
I don't like making plans for the day because the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
Guru
 
LarryM's Avatar
 
City: League City, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamabuki View Post
We have a simrad auto pilot system that was working fine until the AP300 control unit packed up, we have seen a couple of units for sale but not sure how good and how long they will last and pricey, as everything else was working fine and the reversible pump was changed in 2007 and has done nothing much since.
Is there any way I can use the existing hardware with some different control head , simrad of course do not support this old stuff.
A few years ago, with Simrad support's help, I upgraded a failed AP300X like yours with a later AP22 control head.

You should be able to use the AP11, AP20, AP21, or AP22 control heads, depending on the EPROM programming. They all use J300X (J300X-40) or J3000X junction units.

According to Simrad, in order to recognize the later AP20-22 series, the EPROM chip in the J300X has to be V1R8 minimum. It's P/N is 22081640. I last paid about $200 for V1R9 from Simrad in 2011, but they have since been discontinued.

There is an AP300X Control Unit on eBay right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/Robertson-Simrad-AP300X-autopilot-control-head-TESTED-WORKING/223269684257?epid=1225110255&hash=item33fbe90421:g :RLQAAOSwVYhb~9Zl:rk:31f:0 that looks pretty clean. It is about the same price as some of the later control heads but without the worry about EPROM compatibility or upgrading. Might be the easiest fix.
__________________
Larry
M/V Pelago
LarryM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:38 AM   #13
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 716
I replaced that same unit using a Simrad NAC-3 autopilot computer. The NAC-3 will drive a Robertson RPU 80/160. Mine is an RPU-80. It was literally plug-and-play. All other existing components, including the rudder position sensor were kept. I can't explain why, but underway in a following sea the NAC-3 controls the boat with far less squirreling if that is a word. Just yesterday in crossing the Gulf of Mexico from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs we hit (unforecast) heavy wind and waves with the waves quartering on the bow. The new unit kept us on track quite nicely but I could hear the pump constantly working. I couldn't be happier with this computer. I also purchased Simrad's WR-10 wireless remote. Plug it into your NMEA backbone. Mine worked flawlessy out of the box. I can make course changes from both helms with a keyfob controller. Highly recommended.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #14
Guru
 
Group9's Avatar
 
City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
I replaced that same unit using a Simrad NAC-3 autopilot computer. The NAC-3 will drive a Robertson RPU 80/160. Mine is an RPU-80. It was literally plug-and-play. All other existing components, including the rudder position sensor were kept. I can't explain why, but underway in a following sea the NAC-3 controls the boat with far less squirreling if that is a word. Just yesterday in crossing the Gulf of Mexico from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs we hit (unforecast) heavy wind and waves with the waves quartering on the bow. The new unit kept us on track quite nicely but I could hear the pump constantly working. I couldn't be happier with this computer. I also purchased Simrad's WR-10 wireless remote. Plug it into your NMEA backbone. Mine worked flawlessy out of the box. I can make course changes from both helms with a keyfob controller. Highly recommended.
Thatís good to know. Weíve got an old Robertson AP with an RPU 100 and have been thinking about the same upgrade to the NAC-3 but I was really hoping we could get away without changing the pump. I think Simrad recomends the RPU 160 for our size boat, but the RPU 100 has never seemed to have any problems. The installer I spoke with thought the RPU 100 would work, but Iím not convinced, yet, as to whether it is compatible. I guess I need to call Simrad and ask.
__________________
Living life at one quarter speed.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #15
Guru
 
catalinajack's Avatar
 
City: Edgewater, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Thatís good to know. Weíve got an old Robertson AP with an RPU 100 and have been thinking about the same upgrade to the NAC-3 but I was really hoping we could get away without changing the pump. I think Simrad recomends the RPU 160 for our size boat, but the RPU 100 has never seemed to have any problems. The installer I spoke with thought the RPU 100 would work, but Iím not convinced, yet, as to whether it is compatible. I guess I need to call Simrad and ask.
As I mentioned, our boat has the RPU-80 pump. The boat is a DeFever 44 and weighs 57,000 lbs. Never a problem driving the system even when it is being worked hard. If your existing pump works for you now it will work with the NAC-3.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #16
Guru
 
Group9's Avatar
 
City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
As I mentioned, our boat has the RPU-80 pump. The boat is a DeFever 44 and weighs 57,000 lbs. Never a problem driving the system even when it is being worked hard. If your existing pump works for you now it will work with the NAC-3.
Thanks, again. Our boat only weighs 40,000 lbs. So, yeah, Iím guessing that an RPU 100 should work fine. Iím sure going to find out before I buy another pump!
__________________
Living life at one quarter speed.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member
 
yamabuki's Avatar
 
City: Spring City
Country: USA
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 45
Autopllot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
A few years ago, with Simrad support's help, I upgraded a failed AP300X like yours with a later AP22 control head.

You should be able to use the AP11, AP20, AP21, or AP22 control heads, depending on the EPROM programming. They all use J300X (J300X-40) or J3000X junction units.

According to Simrad, in order to recognize the later AP20-22 series, the EPROM chip in the J300X has to be V1R8 minimum. It's P/N is 22081640. I last paid about $200 for V1R9 from Simrad in 2011, but they have since been discontinued.

There is an AP300X Control Unit on eBay right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/Robertson-Simrad-AP300X-autopilot-control-head-TESTED-WORKING/223269684257?epid=1225110255&hash=item33fbe90421:g :RLQAAOSwVYhb~9Zl:rk:31f:0 that looks pretty clean. It is about the same price as some of the later control heads but without the worry about EPROM compatibility or upgrading. Might be the easiest fix.
Yes looks good but ap300 are like hens teeth so will look to see what computer etc we have and see what other options I have, if able to use a more available control head would rather.
yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member
 
yamabuki's Avatar
 
City: Spring City
Country: USA
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 45
Auto pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
Which junction box or AP computer do you have with that system?
The junction is a J300x pn 22081830 with an IP44 protection (whatever that is) and the pump is RPU80.
yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #19
Guru
 
boomerang's Avatar
 
City: Kilmarnock VA
Country: united states
Vessel Name: YellowBird MMSI 367769170
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship m1 #149
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 527
Wow that surprises me that the PO allowed the boat to be rigged with such a small pump.
I don't know if you're familiar with the Hull Truth forum but there's an AP22 system with a j3000X junction box ,RFC35 compass & RPU80 pump for sale for $1000. Just an FYI.
__________________
-Shawn-
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member
 
yamabuki's Avatar
 
City: Spring City
Country: USA
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 mk11
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 45
Auto pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Wow that surprises me that the PO allowed the boat to be rigged with such a small pump.
I don't know if you're familiar with the Hull Truth forum but there's an AP22 system with a j3000X junction box ,RFC35 compass & RPU80 pump for sale for $1000. Just an FYI.
Thanks will look but we have that compass etc so really need the control head I hope. Re RPU 80 see thread #16.
__________________

yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012