Auto pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I forget which controllers you have and am too lazy to search the whole thread, but you should be able to find a manual for those heads which then provide instructions on how to set up and maybe factory reset the AP Computer/Junction Unit. I have the AP20/21 manual which I found online. I believe it was in the legacy/no longer supported section of the manufacturer's site.
Yes got the manual for ap300x install and set up which mentions a reset but not how to get it so maybe I have just got to get started and maybe it will be obvious, thanks

In my AP20 manual, the Installation Menu includes the 'functional category,' Master Reset, later referred to as 'Master Reset of Memories.' After performing the Master Reset, the warning message 'Installation Setup Required' will appear at the next and subsequent power ups until the installation process is completed.

In my AP20 manual, the Installation Menu includes the 'functional category,' Master Reset, later referred to as 'Master Reset of Memories.' After performing the Master Reset, the warning message 'Installation Setup Required' will appear at the next and subsequent power ups until the installation process is completed.

Great thanks.

Here's a link to the Robertson AP300X Instruction Manual. The Master Reset is the last item under Dockside Settings which are discussed on pages 95-100. If I were you, I would definitely start with a reset and go through all of the Dockside Settings and Sea Trial.:thumb:

Here's a link to the Robertson AP300X Instruction Manual. The Master Reset is the last item under Dockside Settings which are discussed on pages 95-100. If I were you, I would definitely start with a reset and go through all of the Dockside Settings and Sea Trial.:thumb:
Thanks and yes I intend to.

auto pilot

I have a Simrad AP22 auto pilot, two units, flybridge and lower station. The control head on the flybridge seems to have died but the lower unit is still functioning. Question is can I relocate the lower unit to the upper station? any advice?

I replaced that same unit using a Simrad NAC-3 autopilot computer. The NAC-3 will drive a Robertson RPU 80/160. Mine is an RPU-80. It was literally plug-and-play. All other existing components, including the rudder position sensor were kept. I can't explain why, but underway in a following sea the NAC-3 controls the boat with far less squirreling if that is a word. Just yesterday in crossing the Gulf of Mexico from Carrabelle to Tarpon Springs we hit (unforecast) heavy wind and waves with the waves quartering on the bow. The new unit kept us on track quite nicely but I could hear the pump constantly working. I couldn't be happier with this computer. I also purchased Simrad's WR-10 wireless remote. Plug it into your NMEA backbone. Mine worked flawlessy out of the box. I can make course changes from both helms with a keyfob controller. Highly recommended.
Hallo. New to the forum and triggered by this thread on Simrad AP's. I am replacing a J3000x junction box with the NAC3 like you have done and have 2 questions. I currently have an RFC35R fluxrate compass and am wondering if you have similar and if/how you have connected it to the NAC3. There are no obvious connections that are marked as such. Or did you need to install a new N2K compass on the backbone? Hope you can help. PS I also have an RPU80 and an RF300 rudder monitor which I understand will work directly with the NAC3.

Hallo. New to the forum and triggered by this thread on Simrad AP's. I am replacing a J3000x junction box with the NAC3 like you have done and have 2 questions. I currently have an RFC35R fluxrate compass and am wondering if you have similar and if/how you have connected it to the NAC3. There are no obvious connections that are marked as such. Or did you need to install a new N2K compass on the backbone? Hope you can help. PS I also have an RPU80 and an RF300 rudder monitor which I understand will work directly with the NAC3.

CK-R ,sorry for the late reply and I hope you've already gotten your answer but the RF300 and RPU80 pump will work with the NAC3 but the RFC35 compass will not. The NAC3 is way overkill for the RPU80, btw.

Boomerang, the NAC-2 computer is adequate to drive low-current draw hydraulic pumps such as the RPU80. The NAC-3 will drive high current pumps such as the RPU160. So, yes, if one already has in place an RPU80 pump, the NAC-3 is overkill as you say. Simrad's literature says the NAC-2 is suitable for boats up to 35 feet long. My boat is 44 feet long and weighs 56,000 lbs and came with an RPU80 pump. I chose the NAC-3 because I was concerned that, at some point, the RPU80 would fail trying to control so much weight. I wanted the ability to replace it with an RPU160 if, indeed, it did fail.

The output pressure of both is the same but the RPU160 has more than double the fluid volume capacity and double the flow rate. I do not know whether my system is too large in volume for my RPU80 nor do I know, if it is, whether my system would operate "better" with a RPU160.

But, when we crossed the Gulf of Mexico from Carabelle to Tarpon Springs on a night when we encountered unexpected very rough conditions, my system was very much put to the test. Piloting from the lower helm from where I could easily hear the pump at work, for twelve hours, that RPU80 absolutely screamed virtually constantly. Perhaps it was no big deal for that pump but I can tell you that I was just waiting for that pump to fail. I suppose from my experience one could deduce that the RPU80 is sufficiently large for my system. Or, the pump may be on its last legs.

The NAC-3 cost $400 more, not a lot to ensure future flexibility. I also wonder whether the NAC-3 has different algorithms to control heavier boats. Perhaps not.
CK-R ,sorry for the late reply and I hope you've already gotten your answer but the RF300 and RPU80 pump will work with the NAC3 but the RFC35 compass will not. The NAC3 is way overkill for the RPU80, btw.

Thanks for the reply! Meanwhile I have indeed settled on the NAC2. Only reason for the NAC3 consideration was potentially not having to replace the compass. But as my RFC35 is not compatible anyway (thanks for that info!) and the NAC2 came with a new compass and RF25N rudder indicator in the package, the NAC2 was the right choice. My RPU80 is indeed good enough for my 35ft PB Express Cruiser. Has served it well since 2003! Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom