Attessa IV collision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am resisting saying too much because we don’t have the facts. I do think many of the above observations are probably accurate.

My brothers and I all worked on these fishing boats when kids. The observations of exhausted, over worked, and a young wheel watch person all happen. Again, I am not casting blame, just my observations based on many years as a deckhand and then as a customer later in life.

SEAq, as I stated earlier, a lot, I am not saying all of the open party and charter fishing boats in our area don’t turn their AIS on. Many of us fishing are looking for them, and they don’t want to be found while fishing. Some will turn them back on while running, but it’s hit or miss.

Last edited:
Didn’t the carry requirements for AIS recently change and become much more stringent for passenger vessels, which presumably the charter boat was? Or maybe it’s just shy of 20M which is a significant transition point for a lot of regs.

Didn’t the carry requirements for AIS recently change and become much more stringent for passenger vessels, which presumably the charter boat was? Or maybe it’s just shy of 20M which is a significant transition point for a lot of regs.

Even though press reports refer to Prowler as a 65' vessel, its documented length is less than 60'. But I had also thought active AIS was required of all passenger carrying vessels (or at least those operating offshore), regardless of length. It is very common for these fishing boats not to have their AIS units on.

AIS on or off would not have affected the outcome in the above scenario. If they were equipped with AIS and decided to turn transmit off, it would be foolhardy to have also turned receive off. The 330' steel MV would have been impossible to not see, for anyone looking at the radar or AIS displays or out the front window. One must assume then that no one was looking.

AIS on or off would not have affected the outcome in the above scenario. If they were equipped with AIS and decided to turn transmit off, it would be foolhardy to have also turned receive off. The 330' steel MV would have been impossible to not see, for anyone looking at the radar or AIS displays or out the front window. One must assume then that no one was looking.

I wouldn't be so sure. First, if AIS is on then so should its collision avoidance alarm, which is much more automated than ARPA collision avoidance (which basically requires that individual targets be manually selected for tracking, guard zones notwithstanding). And, even if Prowler's crew managed to ignore its alarm, Attessa could also have received an AIS collision course alarm. Second, many AIS units, my Furuno FA150 included, do not permit a receive but don't transmit mode (although I recognize that newer models do).

DDW, I don’t think anyone is saying one particular thing caused it. Like most incidents both at sea and on land, it’s usually a series’s of events.

Sure, it's a chain of events, but that means you only need to break one link.

I'm a bit surprised that a charter fishing boat operating in crowded waters at night with a habit of turning the AIS transmit off could not have afforded the $300 or so to get one that allows 'stealth' mode (transmit off, receive on) as almost all recent models do.

I frequently operate with the AIS collision alarm off, because in close quarters there are too many alarms to be useful. But then I do watch the screens and even look out the window occasionally. We will find out what happened here as there are plenty of witnesses. As others have said mistakes do get made.

I've got one other question. This was a 60' fishing boat returning from a multi-day expedition with 28 on board? Those must have been some extremely crowded sleeping arrangements. The notes on the 330' Attessa IV says she sleeps 18.

I've got one other question. This was a 60' fishing boat returning from a multi-day expedition with 28 on board? Those must have been some extremely crowded sleeping arrangements. The notes on the 330' Attessa IV says she sleeps 18.

The Prowler is one of the mid to smaller size boats compared to the rest of the SD fleet. In the mid 80's, my younger brothers best friend was the Skipper. It had a very good rep back then as a boat that caught fish. It would do 1-2 day trips, but not the long range trips. I have not fished on it for along time, so all of my info is dated.

These boats were built along time ago, and are far from luxurious. The sleeping quarters are like coffins, and you have someone literally inches above you when in the rack. So yes, the sleeping arrangements are tight. I always tried to chose a rack closest to the door, and often there was only one on each side aft. I would bet the available egress would not be allowable on a new passenger boat. Note: none of these observations are directed at the Prowler in particular, just general comments about the sport fishing fleets.

Last edited:
Do you know what i hate is up here in the PNW is coming around a corner in a tight channel and having some honking big navy ship not having his transmit AIS on.

You guys see me, i can't see you .
You know everything about me from AIS and i'm not 16 ft long.
Use "The Radio" and let me know your coming.
**** happens

I wouldn't be so sure. First, if AIS is on then so should its collision avoidance alarm, which is much more automated than ARPA collision avoidance (which basically requires that individual targets be manually selected for tracking, guard zones notwithstanding). And, even if Prowler's crew managed to ignore its alarm, Attessa could also have received an AIS collision course alarm. Second, many AIS units, my Furuno FA150 included, do not permit a receive but don't transmit mode (although I recognize that newer models do).

The Queen of the North ferry up here hit an island and the AIS alarms sounded.
Two people on watch were to busy doing the naughty to notice.

The Queen of the North ferry up here hit an island and the AIS alarms sounded.
Two people on watch were to busy doing the naughty to notice.

Don't see how AIS played a role in that tragedy.

I'm reading comments here talking about Prowler returning from a multi-day fishing trip. Well, 1.5 day trip is what I show. What I show is that it did an overnight trip originating at 10:00 PM on the 25th. They had 22 Anglers and caught 28 California Yellowtail, 67 Skipjack Tuna, and 6 Yellowtail Tuna.

Then a 1.5 day trip originated at 9:00 PM on the 26th targeting bluefin tuna. That would have been the trip they were on at the time.

The San Diego Reader (a freebie mag.) reported the Prowler to be a total loss.

Yea, figured total loss. Looking at Prowler hanging in the slings, looks like the aft is sagging badly. Broken back. Done.

I think the lesson here is that as much as logic says this can't happen, it does. Even on US Navy Destroyers, with lots of man power and the best electronics, as we've seen recently. I'm sure if you asked either of these captains 5 minutes before the accident "what are the odds of a collision out here?", they'd both say nil.

You can never let down your guard, especially at night.

Not to be glib, but you wouldn't have because they were both asleep.

If in fact anyone had mentioned it was a possibility, as they should have (were ordered to do), the collisions wouldn't have happened.

I agree that vigilance at all times, a knowledgeable watch team, and a culture of double checking and triple checking are the keys to safety afloat.

Back
Top Bottom