Asymmetrical/half body style yacht and the lack of sidedecks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PKPet

Sidedecks are important. Pilothouse trawlers
often lack sidedecks. Do owners of yachts without sidedecks find docking and placement of fenders challenging? Is an asymmetrical body style the solution to this problem? Opinions. Thank you for your thoughts.

I have a pilothouse with small enough side decks as to make traversing them hazardous.

I do not find that this is an issue docking at all.

With two on board one person is in thecockpit, and myself driving. My line is on a cleat at mid boat, rightoutside the pilothouse door. My other line is a bow line but thaty is much later in the process.

Singlehand I set up the cockpit line on a hook n moor boat hook, as well as the pilothouse line. pulling into the slip I attach the pilothouse line tight and ther boat will not swivel.

So No I would never trade my nice wide salon for side decks. In practicality they are just not necessary for docking.

Like ksanders, our sidedecks are only suitable for maintenance. We set fenders from the boat deck/salon cabintop, from near the pilothouse (side decks and Portuguese bridge), and from the aft deck. We have no problems with docking. My wife tells me where to put the boat, then she steps off and secures the stern. I place the bow where it is needed, then go forward and hand her the bow line. I have no issues single-handing either.

We also would not trade salon space for a side deck.

Good Luck

Initially I felt side-decks were a must-have. Seven years later, not so much. Hardly ever used. I use the pilothouse doors a lot and also the portuguese bridge. The aft door to cockpit, usually via the saloon from the pilothouse.

My boarding doors come onto the side decks, but if they entered into the cockpit I'd be ok without side decks at all.

I usually single hand. If there is current or wind and I need to get into a tight slip then there is usually someone on the dock to lend a hand.

Last edited:
Possum had very small side decks. The only way to the bow was to scuttle sideways with your heels hanging overboard. Didn’t bother me but my wife hated it.

The first time I saw an asymmetrical cabin I thought it was strange. The more I thought about it the better I liked it. Bigger cabin and my wife could get to the bow. On Boats with a wider beam it’s probably not so important.

I just open the helm window and reach out to secure lines or fenders to the cleat just outside. In some instances, I just reach out and grab onto the dock.

I like the side-decks (full walk around) but would also like a wider saloon.
IMHO, asymmetrical would be a very acceptable compromise

I am quite happy with having no side decks outside of the saloon. Before I purchased the boat, I thought usable side decks were a necessity for me. Coming from a sailboat, I couldn't imagine anything less. Side decks would be nice, but I'd not be willing to give up the saloon space to get them.

An asymmetrical would be nice. That said, you adapt to whatever your boat offers. As far as fendering, when I need to hang a fender where there is no side deck access, I hang them from the upper railings on the top deck.

Ted

My new boat has ZERO side decks. As OC Diver said, you adapt to what your boat has.

20190413_185305.jpg

My narrow unprotected side decks only bother me when making my way to the foredeck in very heavy seas. I use a lifeline, harness and lanyard during these times. Even with side decks, it is advisable at times.

I like the side-decks (full walk around) but would also like a wider saloon.
IMHO, asymmetrical would be a very acceptable compromise

I'm waiting for the day they start putting 'tip outs' on boats. LOL Yea right.

My narrow unprotected side decks only bother me when making my way to the foredeck in very heavy seas. I use a lifeline, harness and lanyard during these times. Even with side decks, it is advisable at times.

The 34AT has side decks, I think, about 8 inches wide with railings. So long as I have a clear path through the pilot house to the cockpit, I'm happy.

The boats with the asymmetrical cabins/saloon I believed are termed as Europa designed.

I had the same concern when placing an order for a boat with no aft side decks. After 1 year of using the boat: no major concerns. As others have noted, the useable space gained in the salon is well worth it. Our 45 ft boats interior salon area is as wide as many 50 ft. Plus boats.

I have a Pacific Trawler with essentially unusable side decks. Catalina Island has a unique mooring system which requires carrying a line from bow to stern outside the boat. There are many creative solutions to this problem for boats with no side decks. Otherwise, like most posters, I would not give up my saloon space for side decks.

Paul

Where we boat we are frequently going through the locks on the Columbia and Snake rivers. At times we're at the mercy of the lock master as to which side of the lock to moor on, so it's important that we have walkways on both sides. They're on the narrow side but workable.

When we were shopping for a boat one of the major things we had to have were side walkways. Aft cabin boats and designs like South of Heaven's just would not work for the way we boat.

I have a Pacific Trawler with essentially unusable side decks. Catalina Island has a unique mooring system which requires carrying a line from bow to stern outside the boat. There are many creative solutions to this problem for boats with no side decks. Otherwise, like most posters, I would not give up my saloon space for side decks.

Paul

It’s always interesting watching the show out there. Last year I watched a guy in a big sport fisher leave about 5 pm after drinking all day, and return an hour later, bouncing off the boats near him as he tried to reconnect to the mooring in some wind. Bozo the clown.

I Agree with your comments re Catalina mooring balls and lack side decks. Very doable.

Back
Top Bottom