Old 09-17-2012, 03:45 AM   #21

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Bank Repo. Started out at 30% below asking settled in at 20% below and it was a hell of a deal. Surveyed out at almost double what I paid. The PO took care of it and added a new generator, 160gpd watermaker, 2 new A/C's and added a bow thruster a year and half before I got the boat and then walked away 8 months later. It did have a bad aft fuel tank but the bank had a new one made and installed before I signed. NOTE: If a tank is empty have it pressure tested. The best 300 bucks I ever spent on a boat. That cost the bank another 8k.

knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #22
Guru

I bought my boat at the beginning of this year I must have looked at 30 boats Prices were all over the place The condition of the boat did not seem to figure into the price I finally paid 50% of asking price The owner owed asking price to the bank and paid it of berfore we closed the deal Husband died and wife wanted to get rid of the boat

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
Guru

There are lots of factors to consider when making an offer. Sometimes its things that come out of the blue that make a seller say yes. My boat's owner was advancing in years, didn't use the boat much that year, and had just gotten it out of the shipyard. I made a LOW but not absurd offer on a Thursday. PO asked if he could have 24 hours to think it over (we had gotten the "I'm tired of boat shopping we're about to buy one" bug) as I told him there was only one other boat in contention and we were buying it or his! The recent haulout bill and lack of use had prompted him to put the boat on the market seriously, what got us the boat however was on Friday the stock market took a BIG hit. Not only had his savings took a loss but he knew most of the people in the trawler market were in the stockmarket just like him, so some guy itching to write a check started looking good!
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Youngstown NY
Vessel Name: Vahevala
Vessel Model: 37' 1987 Newburyport
Great info, thanks! I think he has about 1/2 tank in there now.
Vahevala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

We're in NY as well. We're thinking maybe we sit on it for awhile. A friend said the same thing, dock reservations are due in Jan. so Dec. is a good time to move. The owner has it set for haul out end of Sept. The hard part is there are few diesel trawler/MY in this area. So we have literally put 2500 miles on in the past month or so driving around to find something. Going to Trawlerfest in Baltimore and hope to learn more, meet others of like mind and see some trawlers all in one spot!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Fort McAllister, Ga
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker
1st Post here and no I am not a yacht broker but I do have access to soldboats.com If you let me know the year and model I could email you the sold boats data.

For those not familiar with it ...when a boat that was listed on yachtworld is sold, the broker is required to report the acrual sales details. yachtworld takes that data and posts it on soldboats (paid access).

Is some of the info fudged ?.... maybe a little but not much (my opinion)
2002 Mainship 390?

Many thanks
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Can't seem to atttach this file type. Send me a PM and I'll send it to your email address
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Fort McAllister, Ga
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker
Can't seem to atttach this file type. Send me a PM and I'll send it to your email address
My email is bill3558@yahoo.com
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #29
FF
Guru

The hard part is there are few diesel trawler/MY in this area.

Why diesel????

Planning on over 200 -300 hours a year?

Or a 1500 - 3500 mile offshore leg?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Yep. I love my boat. Matt and I were talking today. If someone offered us TWICE what we paid... We MIGHT sell...
By Jiggity = = > Jennifer hit the nail on the head - - > Again!

That's the same way Linda and I feel bout our baby girl Tolly!
Soooo... IMHO that means:

1. Make sure the craft you offer on is exactly the brand, size and design boat you want to keep and use for a long time.

2. Before paying... "You - Personally" check it out super carefully from top to bottom - marine surveyors and mechanics as required.

3. Get real with your offer price and push the seller to get real with the sale price; especially in today's super soft market. CASH TALKS!

4. Upon purchase completion plan for years of boating enjoyment!

Also, don't be afraid to wait to locate the correct craft, i.e. a boat that's in the correct condition and available at the correct price. It took us a four (4) year search to find our Tolly. We'd been aboard many boats during our search and had been on several sea trials. When we came across the right one she gave us "that" feeling the moment we boarded and I began opening up her confines (I have a background on boats). Went for a romping sea trial the next day with surveyor and mechanic I already had lined up for a quick schedule review. I pushed her hard through the passes in 3’ to 3.5’ white capped choppy seas of SF Bay – inc WOT (4400/4500 rpm at 21/22 knots) for some minutes (owner was all a quiver on the bridge by how hard I pushed her! He even got in argument with my surveyor about that being how hard I should push her - LOL) Then I donned my mask/fins and with strong u/w flash light dove under her... she was just as owners invoice copy and as had been expressed by workers at adjacent boat yard - hauled a month prior for coats of bottom paint, new boot stripe, shined props, new zincs and good through hulls. Seller and I sat down that eve for a real-honest “CASH-VALUE” chat. That was August 30th 2008. Piloted our well surveyed, good condition, and fully paid for (affordable-value to say the least) Tolly to our preferred marina’s slip the next day. Haven’t looked back since! We’ve no plans to sell her and she continues to be a champ in every way! We use her in SF Delta cruising and on the hook during long weekends and vacations often as possible I will admit... there were circumstances that strongly affected the seller to make him want to sell a very good condition craft at the right “cash” price. That said... and like I mentioned above... “Don't be afraid to wait to locate the correct craft, i.e. a boat that's in the correct condition and available at the correct price.” I believe you will then be glad you took the time and effort to locate the boat of your dreams!

Get It On... Be Careful... And, Enjoy Your Boating Daze!! Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

So I spoke with the broker yesterday about the showing. Told him we liked the boat but that we would really need to work on the price, and we were not in a rush to push it through before the owner planned on having her hauled on the 29th. The broker actually told me that her thought i should make my first offer at $75K (she is listed at $99k) and that we could probably come to terms at $82K. Took me totally by surprise that the selling broker would assume that he should tell us where to start are bid, and the price we were going to end up at.
@Art... a 4 year search is way too long for us We've been out of the water for about 6 weeks and itching to find the next. Haven't been without a boat for 25 years!! LOVE your story though.
@ FF We thought about gas, but after reading Pascoe have settled on diesel due to the size and displacement- looking at 36'-41' with 22,000 or so displacement. Hoping to do the Loop in a few years. Reading Pascoe is informative but also frustrating as he seems to be very biased toward a few brands.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
Guru

OK so I bit off more than I could chew by offering the soldboats data. I have been flooded with requests (some of which I have provided) but it is becoming far too time consuming to continue .... sorry
Old 09-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahevala View Post
The broker actually told me that her thought i should make my first offer at $75K (she is listed at $99k) and that we could probably come to terms at $82K. Took me totally by surprise that the selling broker would assume that he should tell us where to start are bid, and the price we were going to end up at.
FYI... we have had the same experience with brokers... Offer lower than they say. I won't go into the whole story with the current boat but the broker fed us a bunch of BS (there is another offer--no there wasn't. The owner will never go that low-he did...ETC) and we got it for less than what the broker told us he thought the seller would go for. I have no idea if that is a common broker ploy or what but anyway...

To Bob of the North's comment that everyone knows they got a bargain--actually we felt like we got robbed . We found our perfect boat though. I'm glad it didn't take us four years (can't imagine Art!!) to find her!
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
FYI...We found our perfect boat though. I'm glad it didn't take us four years (can't imagine Art!!) to find her!
First of all – Patience is a Virtue! lol

Kidding aside, honestly, Jennifer Pineapple Girl and other TF contributers... I feel I should supply some explanation and put a couple caveats on the reasons for and the length of time spent during our four year search to locate our “perfect” boat to suit our current needs/desires... BTW: My wife, Linda, is very boat and water friendly but has not the boating/seafaring background or experience I posses – She is my Perfect Admiral, and I try to be her Perfect Captain!

Wife and I were boating with friends during the four years of searching and most importantly... because I’d been virtually married to boating from birth and on the water or at boat yards working into my early/mid twenties in New England I’d therefore learned boats and boating quite well. Then from age 24 to early 50’s I completely departed from doing any water actions and built businesses inland... never losing my passion for boating and the water; always feeling/knowing I’d eventually return. Soooo: When I did decide to return to boating in the SF area, knowing I still held the required seamanship skills and boat construction/maintenance/repair knowledge (not unlike remembering how to ride/repair a bike!) I indeed did need some time to research and clearly learn all the new types of boats and equipment available as compared to when I’d departed from the water. In respect – a WHOLE LOT of new items had become available as compared to when I’d completely left the water at age 24, (1974). During the thirty (30) year duration from then to 2004 when I decided to reenter, boat technology had jumped leaps and bounds. Heck – In my many young years of boating during 1950’s, 60’s and early 70’s the boats I was aboard or working on were from the 1930’s 40’s 50’s and 60’s... mostly wood, although I had gained fiberglass smarts too. Our 1977 Tollycraft and its factory installed top end features from that circa were at first a revelation (joy) to me/us! Our Tolly came fully equipped with well working necessities. This Tolly is not only a great seafaring hull and twin screw power design but she is also extremely comfortable and satisfies all our needs for continual good boating experiences with up to four (and an infant grand child) aboard for long weekends. With just Linda and me it’s like being in a small condo! I learned a lot during the last 8 years (4 yrs of research/study and 4 years of boat ownership) I’m up to speed and gleefully stepping right back into (reentering) the boating world. Since we purchased our favorite Tolly august 31 2008 I’ve purchased four other craft... a 31’ twin screw Uniflite fly bridge sport fisher, an inflatable with 8 hp o/b, one runabout 50 hp o/b to tow behind – it’s a four seater we use at nearly every Tolly outing, and a 20’ Malibu Skier I’m restoring with my grandson. Also, I’m currently looking at other craft 41’ to 57’ range wherein one may become an SF Bay and Delta tour service I might start spring 2013.

You could say it is again a boating life for me/us... and we plan to have it stay this way till our own lights burn out! At least two, maybe three... or more decades to go!!!! YAAA HOOOO!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #35
FF
Guru

"The broker actually told me that her thought i should make my first offer at $75K (she is listed at $99k) and that we could probably come to terms at $82K."

As usual the broker (who is paid by the seller) is working the comission , rather than for the seller.

The concept that EVERY boat is overpriced and the owner can be beat down , regardless of the value of the boat is rather strange!

This silly concept is what forces owners to ask Stoopid prices ,

so the broker can take his cut and the purchaser can get "the deal of a lifetime!"

FF
Old 09-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #36
Art
Guru

Way I See It...

In generality, cases regarding used items such as boats, cars, trucks, houses... etc... (especially those with more than a few years of age/use) the valuation process occurring between seller, buyer, and broker has become very-gray to say the least during this severe economic upheaval that is greatly empowered by unstable (too high) energy prices and unsustainable (too high) debt levels. Therefore, as has been the base of every (honest) sales transition ever completed, the delivered cost of product simply reflects what the seller will accept and what the buyer will pay. The difference now more than ever previously is that MORE sellers often MUST sell due to personal economic hardships; which provides an ever greater meaning and power to “This Is A Buyer’s Market.” But, Caveat Emptor, especially with boats, due to fact that the seller may have greatly neglected maintenance/repairs for too long a period of time.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Way I See It...

In generality, cases regarding used items such as boats, cars, trucks, houses... etc... (especially those with more than a few years of age/use) the valuation process occurring between seller, buyer, and broker has become very-gray to say the least during this severe economic upheaval that is greatly empowered by unstable (too high) energy prices and unsustainable (too high) debt levels. Therefore, as has been the base of every (honest) sales transition ever completed, the delivered cost of product simply reflects what the seller will accept and what the buyer will pay. The difference now more than ever previously is that MORE sellers often MUST sell due to personal economic hardships; which provides an ever greater meaning and power to “This Is A Buyer’s Market.” But, Caveat Emptor, especially with boats, due to fact that the seller may have greatly neglected maintenance/repairs for too long a period of time.
Well said ... especially the last sentence.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #38
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
OK so I bit off more than I could chew by offering the soldboats data. I have been flooded with requests (some of which I have provided) but it is becoming far too time consuming to continue .... sorry
no good deed.....
roguewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #39
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Yup there is just no one size fits all with suggested prices , brokers and owners.

I walked the dock for just over four years looking for an x commercial fishboat to convert. Through and after the goverment licence buy out.

I found one I liked while walking the docks in Cambell River. I just happened to be talking to a skip working on his boat and he pointed out a vessel that was just comming onto the market.

I managed to get a look and loved the base hull , tanks , machinery, that it was still licenced and being used by the original owner. He was changing to a vessel he could trailer using his licence as the openings for fishing where being reduced. Most good work boats stay working but changed owners with in the fleet. Thats what he was doing by purchasing a sound vessel from the fleet and working , changing his licence to that vessel. Freeing his up, however the vessel had been written off years ago.

Came home put my ducks in order and the following week contacted the owner. But a broker had showed up to list the boat a few days before I managed contact.

After one week of trying to work with the broker I negotiated there fee to just get them out of the picture once I managed good direct contact with the owner. Yes a bit of risk pre survey on my part but not big money. The vessel would have gone back into the fleet to one of broker buddies contacts had I not made the owner aware I was very interested.

Interesting game , learning curve for me any way.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #40
FF
Guru

After one week of trying to work with the broker I negotiated there fee to just get them out of the picture

Brokers don't like it but specifying IN WRITING that if the Owner finds a purchaser the broker only gets 1/2 fee , sme as if another broker found the client.

This protects the broker who might actually pay for an add , rather than just Yachtworld the listing .

Tags
buying, price, purchase