Old 04-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
ASD and the Inside Passage

Well we are back from the Astoria Crab and Wine Fest and have 5 days to finish getting packed up. Our schedule is short. We plan to start in Astoria to Neah Bay, then Port Angeles, San Juan Islands, then Sidney B.C. From here we will head north. No schedule, just some places to see. The plan right now is make the Broughtons, reevaluate our condition, if favorable further north to Skagway Alaska.

We have hired Omni Marine Weather (Omni Bob) Home - www.oceanmarinenav.com to help us on the first leg of the trip from Astoria to Neah Bay. This is more of a precaution and at the Admiral's insistence as it makes her feel safer. We will go on weather standby starting May 1st.

We have a SPOT and AIS, so my friends at TF can follow. I will post here when I can. Look in my signature for the ASD blog link. AIS is a little spotty on the north coast of Washington and even worse the further north we go. Most of you know how to view our SPOT and Live ship. If you don't know, then ask and someone on TF will explain.

SPOT:

SPOT Shared Page

Marine Traffic:

AIS Vessel Tracking - AIS Positions Maps | AIS Marine Traffic

For now we are looking at our preparations list and there is very little left to do. 5-days and counting. Took 3 years to get here and now I am all nervous.....and excited.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Yahoo for you guys! If you make it into Bellingham look us up. At least stay in touch and perhaps we can meet you out in the Islands.

Bob & Jill
Old 04-25-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Well we are back from the Astoria Crab and Wine Fest and have 5 days to finish getting packed up. Our schedule is short. We plan to start in Astoria to Neah Bay, then Port Angeles, San Juan Islands, then Sidney B.C. From here we will head north. No schedule, just some places to see. The plan right now is make the Broughtons, reevaluate our condition, if favorable further north to Skagway Alaska.

We have hired Omni Marine Weather (Omni Bob) Home - www.oceanmarinenav.com to help us on the first leg of the trip from Astoria to Neah Bay. This is more of a precaution and at the Admiral's insistence as it makes her feel safer. We will go on weather standby starting May 1st.

We have a SPOT and AIS, so my friends at TF can follow. I will post here when I can. Look in my signature for the ASD blog link. AIS is a little spotty on the north coast of Washington and even worse the further north we go. Most of you know how to view our SPOT and Live ship. If you don't know, then ask and someone on TF will explain.

SPOT:

SPOT Shared Page

Marine Traffic:

AIS Vessel Tracking - AIS Positions Maps | AIS Marine Traffic

For now we are looking at our preparations list and there is very little left to do. 5-days and counting. Took 3 years to get here and now I am all nervous.....and excited.
Maybe we will cross paths. We are in Prince Rupert and plan to make Ketchikan tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:25 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
ASD, One question comes to mind--is this going to be a 1-way trip north or are you two heading back to our neck of the woods?

Whichever it turns out to be, I wish you fair skies, calm winds, flat seas and lots of Klondike Bars! (That's a joke only the insiders know!)
Old 04-25-2016, 11:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Maybe we will cross paths. We are in Prince Rupert and plan to make Ketchikan tomorrow.

I know you are weather smart. I note Dixon Entrance East is with a gale warning and seas 2 to 3 meters tonight.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:44 PM   #6
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I know you are weather smart. I note Dixon Entrance East is with a gale warning and seas 2 to 3 meters tonight.
It was about this time last year that I got the snot kicked out of me on Chatham Sound heading south into Prince Rupert. 50-56kt winds and 18' short period waves coming out of the south. I'd have happily taken a gale and 2-3 meter seas!

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:05 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Yes indeed. It's really interesting to look at windyty.com. It shows all the wind coming from the southeast up Hecaite Strait, and off shore, with pretty modest winds (15 kts or less) along the route from Rupert to Ketchikan. We are counting on these calmer conditions, plus the benefit of a tail wind, for a reasonable ride. But we will see. This will be the first time I am using the more detailed data from Windyty as opposed to the Environment Canada reports which are very generic, and seem to represent the worst case in the reporting region, but with no detail about where that worst spot is and how conditions are otherwise distributed across the region. So this will be a learning experience. Worst case we turn back and try again on Wednesday when it's supposed to be calm.

We came down Johnstone Strait in a gale about a week ago, but because the wind was behind us, it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't have wanted to go in the other direction, but down wind wasn't bad, and that should be the case tomorrow as well.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:17 AM   #8
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Below is a good Environment Canada link to see how weather systems approaching onto the BC coast are behaving...makes a good combo with the windyty site;

(Hit the 'play' button below the satellite image to see how the systems are moving)

- Environment Canada
Old 04-26-2016, 12:35 AM   #9
Guru

Also Peter I note a 3 knot ebb in early AM. Lots of fun if wind swings to SW.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
Guru

We decided to wait it out a day. It's been blowing 15-20 all night in our anchorage, and will only be worse outside. And after all, it's called "pleasure" boating. Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty calm, so we will go then.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Mount Vernon, WA / La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Otter
Vessel Model: 1985 President Sundeck 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
We decided to wait it out a day.
Sounds like a good choice.
I'm anxiously awaiting further updates about your and Alaskan Sea-Duction adventures.
Though Otter has been where both of you are going more than a few times, it will be a while before her new crew is up to the task.
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
It was about this time last year that I got the snot kicked out of me on Chatham Sound heading south into Prince Rupert. 50-56kt winds and 18' short period waves coming out of the south. I'd have happily taken a gale and 2-3 meter seas!

Richard
Should'a stopped at Brundige Inlet. The bugs would have been blown out w the wind.

Twistedtree wrote;
"We decided to wait it out a day. It's been blowing 15-20 all night in our anchorage, and will only be worse outside. And after all, it's called "pleasure" boating. Tomorrow is supposed to be pretty calm, so we will go then."
Frequently it blows more in the harbor in PR than outside in Chatham Sound ... but not in my experience in Dixon Entrance.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Should'a stopped at Brundige Inlet. The bugs would have been blown out w the wind.
I was coming from Foggy Bay and was already well into Chatham Sound heading south by the time the conditions worsened. Too late to turn around.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #14
Guru

Chatham can generate its own weather patterns, often defying predictions. Strong veering winds are then exacerbated by shallow water and lots of shoaling. Or so say the commercial guys I've talked with in Prince Rupert. We noted this same nasty pattern variation last year, but not short period 18' waves
Old 04-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #15
Guru

City: Sidney
You are in for a great adventure. Enjoy, be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction;
AIS is a little spotty on the north coast of Washington and even worse the further north we go.
Marine Traffic isn't all that bad on the BC coast. I just followed Tanglewood up to Chatham Sound. Stalled off Port Neville for a few hours but otherwise was pretty good. I think.

Sorry for stalking you, Peter.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
ASD, One question comes to mind--is this going to be a 1-way trip north or are you two heading back to our neck of the woods?

Whichever it turns out to be, I wish you fair skies, calm winds, flat seas and lots of Klondike Bars! (That's a joke only the insiders know!)
We are now officially "snow birds!" We will be returning back to the Columbia River for the winter. 100% on the bars!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #17

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
We are now officially "snow birds!" We will be returning back to the Columbia River for the winter. 100% on the bars!
Fair winds and following seas Tom, enjoy the trip and ping us when you come back through the San Juans.

Marty.....................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #18
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Enjoy every day out there!
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #19
Guru

Chapter One-Home Dock to Neah Bay

Well the adventure starts today! In a few hours we will be heading to Astoria OR, staging a Columbia River Bar crossing early tomorrow morning. Leave the bar at a NNW heading until we are 35 miles off shore, the a N heading most of the day. Lastly we will turn NNE for the entrance to Juan De Fuca Strait and Neah Bay, WA.

The dream is coming true!
Old 05-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #20
RNL

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
Looking forward to your reports and wish you a fun, safe trip. I will be in Sitka mid July if you end up in that area. My best to you !

G
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote