ASD 2019 Alaska Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom,

Good to see you were wearing your “Life Alert” around your neck, LOL!

We are in town and can connect with you if you stop by Bham. Fuel is cheaper here than Friday harbor if you wanted to fill up before Canada. The transient dock has had room on it lately. Our cruising plans are in flux due to a family issue that has popped up.

Send me a pm if you're coming and we'll get together.

Ken, if circumstances keep you closer to home, we might connect. We'll be generally within the Salish Sea. Only
dates certain are Friday Harbor on July 16, Ganges in the 19th and23rd. Desolation Sound in August; might get as far as the Broughtons.

Last edited:
Ken, if circumstances keep you closer to home, we might connect. We'll be generally within the Salish Sea. Only
dates certain are Friday Harbor on July 16, Ganges in the 19th and23rd. Desolation Sound in August; might get as far as the Broughtons.

Bill..I'll be in contact. We'd like to cross paths with you this summer.

Tom, you jerk, you're just trying to make me more jealous, aren't you.

It's working. Have a great trip.

I'll be watching.

Bill..I'll be in contact. We'd like to cross paths with you this summer.

Stay in touch. I'm in Tacoma, varnishing, but got to back to Ashland Wed. to supervise bathroom remodel.

Ken, we will connect. I will be stocking up on AA.

Our next stop will be Fossil Bay on Sucia Island tomorrow. No schedule. We do want to be in Sitka mid June.

Question: Where do you stay while in Sitka?

Our next stop will be Fossil Bay on Sucia Island tomorrow. No schedule. We do want to be in Sitka mid June.

The Sitka harbormaster will likely put you in the Eliason docks where most of the transient slips are. As you approach Sitka heading south, once you pass through the breakwater Eliason is the first group of docks on your left. Harbor operations there are well-run. If you're going to be around there for several weeks, ask them about giving you a monthly rate...might save some bucks. We normally do this in Craig when the salmon are in.:thumb:

Speaking of the Craig area, if you haven't seen the west side of Prince of Wales island, you should try it. Inside Dall island on the lower west side of POW is Cordova bay. Very few boats go there, great fishing and prawning. The upper section of the west side of POW is El Capitan, Davidson inlet and sea otter sound. Another great area and not heavily travelled. Great bottom fishing at Corontion and Warren islands if ocean conditions allow.

Well here we go! Fishing that is. Purchased our fishing licence for both B.C. and Alaska.:rofl:

Gotta love the internet sometimes.....:socool:

Last night was interesting with 42mph winds in Echo Bay on Sucia Island in the San Juans. We will do a little hiking today and head to the gulf Islands tomorrow. I want to avoid Bedwell tomorrow as it is a training post for Canadian Customs, so I am told.

Attachments

• IMG_4468.jpg
    IMG_4468.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4469.jpg
    IMG_4469.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4470.jpg
    IMG_4470.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4471.jpg
    IMG_4471.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4472.jpg
    IMG_4472.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 88
Echo bay is beautiful. This time of year it doesn't look too crowded. Last year we stayed on the opposite side of the island and it was really nice as well.

I've not had a problem entering Canada at Bedwell. It is nice to catch it in the morning before the custom docks get busy, but every time it has been a very quick and easy phone conversation at the dock.

Ditto my experience at Bedwell. But the float is small.
We almost never enter at any other place.

Last night was interesting with 42mph winds in Echo Bay on Sucia Island in the San Juans. We will do a little hiking today and head to the gulf Islands tomorrow. I want to avoid Bedwell tomorrow as it is a training post for Canadian Customs, so I am told.

We now have Nexus so we don't stop at Bedwell anymore, but the last time I was there, two agents spent three hours tearing the boat apart, including but not limited to going through all my spares in the engine room and checking all bilge areas. We've never had any infractions with the Canadians in 30+ years coming in, so maybe we were statistically selected. Oh, but I did have one more bottle of wine than I was allowed.:facepalm:

We now have Nexus so we don't stop at Bedwell anymore, but the last time I was there, two agents spent three hours tearing the boat apart, including but not limited to going through all my spares in the engine room and checking all bilge areas. We've never had any infractions with the Canadians in 30+ years coming in, so maybe we were statistically selected. Oh, but I did have one more bottle of wine than I was allowed.:facepalm:

Wow, that would really suck. Maybe I've just been lucky?

I really need to get Nexus, I just need to find the time and make an appointment for an interview for my wife and I....

How long is your boat overall? It would be good to meet up in Sitka, but if we are out you could use our slip. Otherwise you can tie to the transient dock or they just assign you a hot berth in one of the marinas.

Speaking of the Craig area, if you haven't seen the west side of Prince of Wales island, you should try it. Inside Dall island on the lower west side of POW is Cordova bay. Very few boats go there, great fishing and prawning. The upper section of the west side of POW is El Capitan, Davidson inlet and sea otter sound. Another great area and not heavily travelled. Great bottom fishing at Corontion and Warren islands if ocean conditions allow.

Yes indeed, the West Coast is a great area. I trolled there with my father in the mid fifties. We visited Craig, and Edna Bay last year in Helen Marie before heading to Sitka. Didn't see many non commercial boats.

We are at present in Ganges, heading for Silva Bay tomorrow. Hope to cross to Pender on Thursday.

We are at present in Ganges, heading for Silva Bay tomorrow. Hope to cross to Pender on Thursday.

If you'd like a break from on-the-hook food when you get to Pender Harbour, at Madiera Bay there's a great pizza takeout place behind the strip mall with the liquor store. (Figured you might be headed that way anyway).:D

ASD
Buns, don't forget cinnamon buns. We have tasted about a dozen in lower BC. Ladysmith Bakery, IGA at Pender Harbor and the Port McNeil Tia's cafe were last year's winners. Don't forget Island Farms ice cream on Vancouver Is.

It is important to freeze a few buns in baggies. We warm them up on the engines. Great for those cold foggy cruising mornings.

ASD
Buns, don't forget cinnamon buns. We have tasted about a dozen in lower BC. Ladysmith Bakery, IGA at Pender Harbor and the Port McNeil Tia's cafe were last year's winners. Don't forget Island Farms ice cream on Vancouver Is.

It is important to freeze a few buns in baggies. We warm them up on the engines. Great for those cold foggy cruising mornings.

OH yeah, don't forget Nancy's in Lund

ASD

SC, Have you had the buns at Meyers Chuck AK? Our all-time favorites.

If for whatever reason you need a quick pull out North of Nanaimo, French Creek is a working harbour, the pub there has decent food and there is a small chandlery there if you need something quickly.

If you pass on the east side of Lasquiti Island, wave as you pass Qualicum Beach. I could be on one of the many beaches there walking my dog.

If you have to stop in at Comox, I'd be more than happy to join you there for a pint and a bite, a relatively decent pub there. Comox is where I keep my boat but unfortunately it is still on the hard for refit which seems to go on forever.

And as I just looked at your Spot location, I'm guessing you will staying in Montague Harbour.

Comox is a nice spot. I've only been there twice, but have been impressed both times.

Dave,
We both, ASD and Pairadice, stayed in Comax last trip, and yes it is a nice spot with a great restaurant right above the marina.

Back
Top Bottom