Old 02-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #21
City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
I assume you will have the boat surveyed. Ask your surveyor for a printout of the data. Many surveyors are soldboats members.

Aphorisms to live by .....
If you can live with the consequences, go for it - wg
Y'am what I y'am an' thats' all that y'am - Popeye
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #22
City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
writerly1 wrote: "Ask a lot of questions and deploy the power of silence after you get an initial answer. The urge to fill the silence is sometimes overwhelming, and you may find out things the owner originally had no intention of telling you."

He's got some good advice there -- one I've used to my advantage any number of occasions...

For instance, when it came time to buy a windlass I wanted to know which would better suit me. Recently a friend had paid to have his rebuilt so I called the company he used in Florida. I didn't ask which was best.

Instead, I asked which he'd prefer to rebuild. He told me how wonderful both units were. I kept quiet. Eventually he stated my Lewmar had a type of gearing that was important in the longevity of the unit.

I picked Lewmar -- but if I'd said anything prior to his rambling comments at the end? Well, I would be no smarter than at the beginning of the conversation.

Asking questions is important but even more so is listening to the complete answer. All the best.

But if you're asking advice: get a decent broker. The OP needs someone with experience in his corner. A neophyte is, without good advice, occasionally raked over the coals. Not all are scrupulously honest...

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat...
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #23
City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Buyers broker is probably a good idea. Another option for getting sold boat prices is Boat US. If you are a member, they will give you the average selling price based on the criteria you provide. We bought our current boat without a broker and used Boat US to get preliminary numbers.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #24
City: Washington NC Waterfront
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Marin's advice of shopping for a broker before shopping for the boat is spot on.
Ditto...If it wasn't for my broker I wouldn't be in the boat I am in.
I told him what I wanted...He knew of a boat, researched the Registration, contacted the owner....Who coincidentally was about to formally list the boat..
Bottom line...I offered 10% under market, no hassle deal and no need to deal with dreamers for months on end with the stipulation that my price was fair and firm....
He got it done, I got the boat I wanted at a fair price, and everyone went home happy..
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:31 PM   #25
City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
There is a lot of good advice on this thread. A buyer's broker is more interested in making a sale then getting the best deal for the buyer.

At the end of the day if your offer is rejected or not sufficiently countered walk away. There is a great possibility the seller will return and take your offer.

I negotiate for a living and each deal has it's own complex issues, but I know what I can do and will walk away if the deal is not right for me.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #26
Scraping Paint
City: -
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
A buyer's broker is more interested in making a sale then getting the best deal for the buyer.
While everybody does the job they do with an eye to making a living, I don't think that making a living--- a sale in the case of a broker--- is always the only motivator.

This is why I stated earlier than I think it is so critical that a boat buyer have or learn the skill it takes to judge character. I've found that the ability to do this is much rarer than I would have thought. Witness all the scams that people of all ages fall for, many of them people you would have thought knew better.

There are brokers out there who genuinely want to see a customer get the right boat and genuinely want to get the best deal for that customer. That was certainly the case in the broker we enlisted to help us buy the boat we have in the PNW. He did things on our behalf or flat out for us we never would have expected--- or asked--- him to do.

Becaiuse...... the really good brokers (or car saleseman or.....) have learned that a customer does not represent a one-time deal. If you treat them well and make a genuine effort to help them get the best boat at the right cost, guess what? If down the road that customer decides they want a different boat, or they want to seriously upgrade their boat, or whatever, guess who they're going to call?

And even if a customer never buys another boat, as we probably will not in the PNW, customers do not take a vow of silence when they're done with the buying process and have their boat. In the sixteen years since we bought our PNW boat, we have probably recommended the broker we used in the acquisition of our boat more than 200 times to people who have asked us if we had any recommendations for a good broker.

Obviously, not every person to whom we suggested talking to the broker we used did so, and even if they did, there is every chance they did not end up buying a boat through him.

But some of them did. And given the kind of boats he and the company he works for sell, a single sale represents a major chunk of change to the broker.

Would these customers have found their way to "our" broker had we not recommended him? Maybe. Maybe not. But this broker has learned the value of a good, long-lasting relationship/friendship with every person he deals with, whether they ultimately buy a boat from him or not.

Because a person in sales never knows when that customer from ten years ago, or a guy who heard from another guy to "use this broker, he's terrific," will walk in the door or punch in his number on the phone.

Based on what I read and hear, there are not a lot of boat brokers like that out in the world. But there are some, which is why I feel it is so important to be able to recognize a winner when you come across one. And that takes the ability to be a good judge of people.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote