43 seems rare and with Luggers yet.
1980/2010 43' Tollycraft Tri-Cabin MY “Seawind V”

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Tsawwassen/Point Roberts
Vessel Name: Tolly Roger
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 SC
That boat was re-powered in 2010 with those engines. Along with the power he has spent a "Ton" of money with several other upgrades. It is a fantastic looking boat. I think that asking price IS in USD.

Tolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolly Roger View Post
That boat was re-powered in 2010 with those engines. Along with the power he has spent a "Ton" of money with several other upgrades. It is a fantastic looking boat. I think that asking price IS in USD.
You are correct and I did the edit.
Thanks.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:36 AM   #4
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
What do you make of this Art?
43 seems rare and with Luggers yet.
1980/2010 43' Tollycraft Tri-Cabin MY “Seawind V”
Yup... 43' Tolly is rare, nice boat. Cost seems a bit high, but again... nice boat! I believe a full-on, hard chine, planing hull; may be SD. I'm quite sure not a FD.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Good catch Hawgwash.

I know several people who've owned the 43 and loved the vessel. Seaworthy, separate forward head, good space and decent ER access. Tolly specifically designed this vessel for offshore duties and from owner and Tolly Club info it is better than the very good 44 in this regard.

A well known delivery skipper I know brought one up the west coast and was genuinely surprised at its offshore and bar crossing capability. On paper, this vessel would be on my shortlist at its listed price for consideration. A very rare find IMHO. There are many 43s out there but few I'm aware of that have been refit like this one. More will show up though as refit time appears and few new vessels in this size range offer what the Tolly can.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Why not just get a 48? Tons of those around in everything from original to restored and upgraded. I know Luggers are a good engine, but the top end and cruise speeds must have been reduced dramatically.

Keith
Old 01-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Why not just get a 48? Tons of those around in everything from original to restored and upgraded. I know Luggers are a good engine, but the top end and cruise speeds must have been reduced dramatically.

Keith
The OP was regarding a 43, not a 48. Very different boats, both excellent. The detailed listing says JD 4 cylinder engines. These will drive the boat quite nicely at its designed cruising speed. Originally most 43s came with the DD 8.2s. Savvy owners ran them very easy. Lots of extra space and reliability improvements with this engine change.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #8
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
My research so far shows that: 1980 was the year Tollycraft introduced 43'er on test basis. Records show 1985 was the last year of production. I'm going to do more research and hope to post what I find re the 43' Tolly.

The 48' Tolly is also a fine boat. I nearly purchased one. Only real problem I noted was engine accesses too limited for my liking. Also, 48' Tolly is displacement hull. I much rather planning - for many reasons. I've heard great things about the 44' Tolly from owners.

Happy Tolly Daze! - Art

PS: Our 34' Tollycraft tri cabin is simply a superb boat for handling, comfort, and durability. It's size, draft, accommodations and economy along several levels (e.g., berthing, nmpg, upkeep... etc) suits our current needs to a "T" in SF Delta.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post

Keith
The one I looked at in Charlston (Lone Star) had natural 3208's in it. I wonder what the output of the Luggers is? Lone Star was very well kept with lots of upgrades and was VERY nice. I suspect it went for well less than $100k perhaps as low as $75.

I know this must be a great boat, but for $225k it needs to be near perfect with everything addressed, all systems renewed, all potential fresh water leaks renewed like rebeding everything...stanchons, Windows and so fourth. Those engines are the cats ass though and a MAJOR chunk of change.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Also, 48' Tolly is displacement hull. I much rather planning - for many reasons. .
Art

Ten years ago I took a 48 to survey, had it out of the water, extensive sea trial etc. Looked in depth at several 44s and 43s too. The 48 hull may be called FD by some but it looks to me like and behaves like SD. The 43 is called a FD by many.

The 48 cruised quite nicely at 18 - 19 knots with Cummins 6Bs loafing around 2100 RPM as I best recall. Some owners could chime and set me straight I'm sure.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Tolly 48 called FD? Really?

Next someone will be claiming their Bayliner 47 is FD just because they choose to run it slow. (Not Kevin)
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Tsawwassen/Point Roberts
Vessel Name: Tolly Roger
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 SC
The 43 is a boat that is on our short list for a “maybe – one day” - so I too am gathering as much info as I can.
Here’s what I know to be true so far……

48 were built between 1980 and 1985 with 1983 being a popular year. (There are 6 in the Tollycruisers Group.)
Most were equipped with Cat 3208’s although there are more than a few GAS 454’s and a few more that have been repowered. The 8.2 Detroit’s were a factory option and gave the boat more HP. Unlike the 48’s of that era I have not seen a 43 with 2 cycle Detroits.

I have been told that both the 48 and 43 were designed to be driven as a single although that was a hard sell at the dealer level so very few were ever factory built. I know of only 1 that has a factory single screw.
It is a Monk design and like the 48 has a deep keel, rounded (soft)aft chines and a high forward freeboard. All the literature and specs I have sell the 43 as a semi-displacement hull.

The 43 is very similar to the 48 in layout but without the dinning sette. The 43 has a forward (and aft) separate shower stall in the head. The 43 has considerably less wood on the railings and the cap rails. All 43’s should have teak interiors and queen walk around in the aft cabin.
Engine room access is from the hinged stairs from salon to galley as well as 3 or sometimes 4 generous sized hatches in the salon floor. These hatches have often been completely covered with carpeting but can be uncovered for better access.

Like all Tolly’s from the mid 80’s upgrading to the newer designed windows and the 3 doors is an expensive but worthwhile project.

Interestingly enough, several years after Tollycraft ended, a company up here in BC, Forbes-Cooper, took the 43 molds, stretched the hull to 46’ and built a few as the “WestCoast 46”, and many of them are single screw. The 46 gave the boat a larger cockpit like the 48. YachtWorld shows a few for sale.
Tolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
The West Coast 46 is one of our favorites and has been on our short list should we ever decide to move up.

http://one4yacht.com/yachts/westcoas...single-engine/

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolly Roger View Post
That boat was re-powered in 2010 with those engines
The current owner purchased the boat in 2006 with that power at 4300 hours. I don't know current hours but that boat is meant to be used.

This one, though I haven't seen it yet, is like Stout42 that was on here for awhile, if you saw it; dump money in with a 3 yard bucket, it never comes back.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Our boat is a 2006 Westcoast 46 that we bought in Vancouver in 2009. It's powered by a single 270 hp 6bta Cummins. There were about 25 made, and I'd guess that around 1/3 are singles and 2/3 are twins. It's not a stand up engine room, but with a single there is a lot of space. The boats can come with exterior teak, or with no wood on the exterior. Ours has no exterior wood, and that was one of the plus's for us.

I've taken a close look at a couple of Tolly 43's and the layout and functionality is very close to the 46. The hull shape is as described for the Tolly 43, I'd never heard anyone describe it as full displacement, even though it has soft chines. It only drafts 3'6" and with twins will cruise at 16 knots.

The extra 3' in the Westcoast's cockpit make it a lot more usable. It does add more lift though and the water tanks need to be almost full for a level ride.

Overall, it has been a very good boat for us. It handles well and has a lot of space for it's size. It's fuel efficient and about as maintenance free as is possible in a boat this size. I can answer questions for anyone considering a Westcoast 46.
Lyle
Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #16
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Getting back to the 1980 43 in the original posting...$225K for a 1980 with $200K in refit/upgrades.

So here's a brokerage 1980 43 with 3208s for $119 with over $90K spent in last couple of years including new tanks, paint, canvas, swim step, and windows. I'm not sure about the "beautiful boat" broker hype though - here's a shot of the ER:
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
The West Coast 46 is one of our favorites and has been on our short list should we ever decide to move up.

Westcoast 46 Aft Cabin built by Forbes Cooper | One 4 Yacht Fractions
What a nice looking boat, with only a 3ft 6in draft in wonder how she handles