Aquila?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbinbi

I have another thread discussing Trawlers vs Power Cats (PC), and I appreciate all the responses.

Just walked the FLL boat show, and looked at a bunch of boats.

One that was very interesting is the Aquila PC. There is no threads regarding them that I could find on TF.

How about build quality?
Was told they are largest North American PC seller? I find that hard to believe. Maybe most sold over 40'?
How are they different from the other big builders like FP, etc?

Anyway, I am trying to get an impression on them, I looked at this, which is pushing my size and price range, a FP 37 and 40, the (40 is so much bigger and better IMO than the 37), the new Bene Swift 41, and the Aspen, which I didn't like as much. I am not sure about the proa concept either. I spoke to Nord as well, very impressed with how they do things as a company, their new 41 seems very intriguing, but I am not looking to do anything offshore, and really wanted something that could go faster than 9 kts.

But I am very intrigued by the Aquila. It looks like they have tremendously loyal following! So does Aspen. If anyone here has one, or knows more of them, any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
*Edit* Never mind...read full post...see that you did mention Aspen...carry on!

Were you thinking of Aspen boats? Theirs is a 'proa' design, meaning one hull is bigger than the other and holds the single engine.

Last edited:
I think the Aquila shows a pretty good product. Both their 36 O/B powered versions are packed full of new ideas and their 44 & 48 boats are just what the charter boat industry was asking for. The so-called “contemporary” interiors mean that most of the furniture is cheaper and sharp edged....not the best for any kind of rough seas (and should be considered as part of the seaworthiness of any boat). The broad interior spaces are great for groups aboard in calm waters. Maintenance access is a step above most cats, made possible by the shear width of its hulls. Slow speed fuel consumption is pretty frugal for a boat this size. Live-ability is hard to beat. The common complaints of hallway staterooms and cramped heads should be alleviated by the Aquilas. Having MarineMax as their principal consumer is why they are the biggest in NA.

One note of mention, though. I’ve had my lady aboard two 44’s. The first on had a very high gloss, wood grained finish to the furniture. Loved it! But the second one had a mor contemporary gray-toned finish that stunk so bad of formaldehyde that she couldn’t even finish half the tour. Apparently a wood “product” construction of some kind.

I have another thread discussing Trawlers vs Power Cats (PC), and I appreciate all the responses.

Just walked the FLL boat show, and looked at a bunch of boats.

One that was very interesting is the Aquila PC. There is no threads regarding them that I could find on TF.

How about build quality?
Was told they are largest North American PC seller? I find that hard to believe. Maybe most sold over 40'?
How are they different from the other big builders like FP, etc?

Anyway, I am trying to get an impression on them, I looked at this, which is pushing my size and price range, a FP 37 and 40, the (40 is so much bigger and better IMO than the 37), the new Bene Swift 41, and the Aspen, which I didn't like as much. I am not sure about the proa concept either. I spoke to Nord as well, very impressed with how they do things as a company, their new 41 seems very intriguing, but I am not looking to do anything offshore, and really wanted something that could go faster than 9 kts.

But I am very intrigued by the Aquila. It looks like they have tremendously loyal following! So does Aspen. If anyone here has one, or knows more of them, any input is greatly appreciated.
Hello!

Was wondering if you’d made any decisions on your boat? I’m in a similar situation, looking to buy first boat. Mainly for weekends with the kids and some longer week/2 wk trips out of San Diego.

I love Trawlers and the N41 especially but it’s just too slow for this point in our lives, need to get places in a reasonable amount of time!

Now looking at Aspen, seems like great quality and I like the king size bed. Aquila also interesting.

Any insight you could offer would be much appreciated!

Have not made a decision yet. Have to sell my boat first. Was at FLL boat show looking in Nov. Going to MIA boat show in a month. I did decide I would NOT get a regular trawler. I have a sailing cat now, I can do 7 kts under power, 4-12 under sail. If I am giving that up, I want to know I can do from 10-20 continuously.

So I am looking at either one of the powercats or Bene SwiftTrawler. Liek the FP 37 for price, like the 40 for space. Did like the Aspen as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom