Old 09-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Approaching Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show

The Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show is approaching!

Is there anything new or exciting that we should be looking for / at when we go?

Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show

PRIME TIME PREVIEW
Thur. Nov 3, 10am - 7pm
(Ticket valid any show day)

GENERAL ADMISSION
Fri. Nov 4, 10am - 7pm
Sat. Nov 5, 10am - 7pm
Sun. Nov 6, 10am - 7pm
Mon. Nov 7, 10am - 5pm

I want to look at new electronics and see what pod drives have done new (excluding volvo).
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #2

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
I'm making all to go this year, never did before.

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Steamboat Springs CO.
We are going as well...looks like boats on display being updated on the website daily...

Ch
man n black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
Guru

City: Vermont
I'm making my annual pilgrimage too. Taking an upgrade class at MPT the week before.

On my shopping list are LED interior lights, and a small fixed mount VHF for our tender.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm making my annual pilgrimage too. Taking an upgrade class at MPT the week before.
What class?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
What class?
A lot of people working in Leadership and Teamworking or Human Element Leadership Management with only 3 months remaining to get the STCW endorsement.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Leadership/management classes will fill up quickly as BandB states. avoid the rush if you can. The Quality Maritime school in St Pete/Jax has every other week classes in each location. No affiliation, just info. Another BS class .
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #8

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
We are wanting to narrow our manufacturer options.

Planning spending most of the time on the docks.

Mark
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:34 PM   #9
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Save the traffic hassle. Park at the Galleria Mall and walk to the Hilton Hotel and take the water taxi.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A lot of people working in Leadership and Teamworking or Human Element Leadership Management with only 3 months remaining to get the STCW endorsement.
That's coming up next.

Right now I have a pending renewal and upgrade that I'm trying to get completed and issued. Part of it is to change my scope from Inland to Near Coastal (the other part is a tonnage upgrade), and requires that I test on a bunch of other stuff. For some reason, the class that meets the requirements is the OUPV to Master 100 upgrade class. I've had a Master 100 for years, so I'm scratching my head as to why a class to upgrade to what I already have meets the requirements, but I have send the letter I got from the CG outlining what's required, and MPT assures me the class meets those requirements. I asked twice, of two different people spaced out across a couple of months, and got the same answer, so I'm going with it.

Once I have my renewal squared away (my current license is actually expired at this point), I'll start chipping away at the STCW requirements so my license is "international" vs "domestic". But I need to focus first on getting the renewal complete.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
That's coming up next.

Right now I have a pending renewal and upgrade that I'm trying to get completed and issued. Part of it is to change my scope from Inland to Near Coastal (the other part is a tonnage upgrade), and requires that I test on a bunch of other stuff. For some reason, the class that meets the requirements is the OUPV to Master 100 upgrade class. I've had a Master 100 for years, so I'm scratching my head as to why a class to upgrade to what I already have meets the requirements, but I have send the letter I got from the CG outlining what's required, and MPT assures me the class meets those requirements. I asked twice, of two different people spaced out across a couple of months, and got the same answer, so I'm going with it.

Once I have my renewal squared away (my current license is actually expired at this point), I'll start chipping away at the STCW requirements so my license is "international" vs "domestic". But I need to focus first on getting the renewal complete.
Just be sure you discuss both with them as it's easier to transition prior to January 1 than after. A lot of it is complicated and thank goodness they generally seem to have a good grasp of it all and you can sit with them and get a good outline of the process.

We started with inland. First tickets were 25 Ton Inland. We are currently at 200 Tons. Where it drives one bonkers is where there are sea days, sea days since original ticket and sea days above certain tonnages. For 500 Tons we need 176 more sea days since obtaining our initial ticket.

I think you're typical of us all that you ask twice of two different people there on all these issues.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #12
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I'll be there, most likely checking out the newest from the Local CC companies and maybe some sporties depending on which ones make it.

Peter, we'll have to meet up again! I'm gonna try and go all 4 days.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
I'll be there, most likely checking out the newest from the Local CC companies and maybe some sporties depending on which ones make it.

Peter, we'll have to meet up again! I'm gonna try and go all 4 days.
You be. I'm planning on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, trying to beat the crowds on at least the first two days.

And our shoes are not interchangeable (unless you want to walk around in clown shoes), so your footwear is safe.....
Old 10-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Just be sure you discuss both with them as it's easier to transition prior to January 1 than after. A lot of it is complicated and thank goodness they generally seem to have a good grasp of it all and you can sit with them and get a good outline of the process.

We started with inland. First tickets were 25 Ton Inland. We are currently at 200 Tons. Where it drives one bonkers is where there are sea days, sea days since original ticket and sea days above certain tonnages. For 500 Tons we need 176 more sea days since obtaining our initial ticket.

I think you're typical of us all that you ask twice of two different people there on all these issues.
I would love to roll more things together into a single upgrade, but at this point the risk is too high that doing so will delay my renewal past the 1 year that I have to complete the outstanding course requirement. Because of our cruising, it's hard for me to find blocks of time to take courses, which in my case requires flying to FL, staying in a hotel, etc.

I didn't realize that the requirements get harder after 2017. I knew that tickets would start to be restricted in scope starting then, but I honestly haven't studied it real carefully. I do know of 3 or so courses that I need - I think the ones you mentioned earlier - but I think I'm close to an Oceans scope and maybe another tonnage upgrade, so I need to figure out what's the next logical upgrade "package" to put together.

Fortunately I have no regulatory need for the license, but I want to learn as much as I can, and improve my skills and knowledge as much as I can. Plus, when my financial guys tells me I'm going to have to go get a job as a greeter at Walmart, I can instead get a job running a boat somewhere...

And for those talking about FLIBS, sorry for the side track. We should probably continue this in a new thread if there is more to say....
Old 10-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
I would love to roll more things together into a single upgrade, but at this point the risk is too high that doing so will delay my renewal past the 1 year that I have to complete the outstanding course requirement. Because of our cruising, it's hard for me to find blocks of time to take courses, which in my case requires flying to FL, staying in a hotel, etc.

I didn't realize that the requirements get harder after 2017. I knew that tickets would start to be restricted in scope starting then, but I honestly haven't studied it real carefully. I do know of 3 or so courses that I need - I think the ones you mentioned earlier - but I think I'm close to an Oceans scope and maybe another tonnage upgrade, so I need to figure out what's the next logical upgrade "package" to put together.

Fortunately I have no regulatory need for the license, but I want to learn as much as I can, and improve my skills and knowledge as much as I can. Plus, when my financial guys tells me I'm going to have to go get a job as a greeter at Walmart, I can instead get a job running a boat somewhere...

And for those talking about FLIBS, sorry for the side track. We should probably continue this in a new thread if there is more to say....
I haven't looked in detail at all the scenarios and would just suggest having them outline all paths and requirements from where you are. We just do it as a learning thing with the license secondary. We never consider ourselves the equals of many we know with decades of experience, but we do like the recognition of what we have studied. We try to learn, in class and on the water. With the miles we cover, the time on the water, it's important to us, not to anyone else, just us for us. We probably should feel the same way about the mechanical side, but we just don't. There we have learned only the minimum basics and for our safety. We'll cross to the Bahamas alone, but never going to cruise oceans without someone with greater mechanical skill with us.

A lot of people do try to couple training with FLIBS.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #16
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
You be. I'm planning on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, trying to beat the crowds on at least the first two days.

And our shoes are not interchangeable (unless you want to walk around in clown shoes), so your footwear is safe.....
Sounds like a plan!

I'll be wearing flip flops.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post

I'll be wearing flip flops.
Wifey B: At the start of each day.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Steamboat Springs CO.
Made the hotel..now heading out for Ceviche. Thanks for the restaurant recommendations Capt. Bill!

Ch
man n black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by man n black View Post
Made the hotel..now heading out for Ceviche. Thanks for the restaurant recommendations Capt. Bill!

Ch
Hope you like it.

Try the shrimp soup.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #20

City: Gustavia
Vessel Name: Soler Fox
Vessel Model: Selene 62
just book my flight ticket I will be there saturday sunday, Now I need to book hotel ...

Any recommendation?

Hugues
101TUG is offline   Reply With Quote