Approaching Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two full days. On the plane headed back home.

Learned a lot. Accomplished our objectives. We may have our manufacturer ranking worked out which was our objective.

Really good show,

Mark

Two full days. On the plane headed back home.

Learned a lot. Accomplished our objectives. We may have our manufacturer ranking worked out which was our objective.

Really good show,

Mark

Two ways to go. One just wandering around taking it in. The other is the way you went with an objective. Glad you were able to accomplish it. Sure makes it easy to compare.

Last time we walked across to the show, the funniest thing we saw was a middle aged couple. The husband trying to tell her how seaworthy a boat was and more seaworthy than another they'd seen. She was telling him how it was ugly and had no space and she wasn't going to spend time in THAT thing. He saw us smiling and very nicely turned and said, "well, guess I'm learning what I came here to learn today" and laughed. Then he said, "Let's go back and look at the other one you liked again, honey."

Just finished up 2.5 days at the show. I was really surprised that Victron and Mastervolt had no presence at all at the show. I guess the US market isn't that important to them.

I would buy online and print out the ticket. Vendor tickets at will-call are a freaking disaster. Last year I got so tired waiting in line that I bought a ticket on line on my phone, and stepped into the next line and went in. I haven't bought at the gate, I don't think. I just buy online in advance.

I don't saw you message, at the end we was at boat show really with not to much people bought ticket in 2 minutes on machine near entrance :thumb:

We also had a productive show...saw many boats new and used. We were also able to narrow our manufacturer preference down quite a bit...

Thanks for all the suggestions.....Ceviche by the Sea and Market 17 were both fantastic as was ttavelling by Water Taxi...though we got a bit wet this morning....Thanks to the manufacturers that answered our endless questions and even some who were able to give us insight and support into boats they no longer build.

Ch

The passing squalls didn't help but didn't hurt much. It was amazing to see how many booths had no rain protection.

Saw an unusual boat next to Kadey Krogen called No Limit 55. The color and design looked definitely military but it seems to be well built. It is a dutch built boat that looks like a RIB on steroids, with a cabin, and if you insist, a stand-up fly-bridge of sorts. The exterior helm is a notch in the aft of the cabin where you can pilot the boat but doesn't look like you'll spend much time there... It reminds me of a pilot boat actually. Too bad they chose Volvo for their engines.

The admiral liked the Kadey Krogen 53 best...

The funniest thing I saw was on the stern of one of the mega-yachts was back stern to the dock with several fenders between the swim platform an the dock. The fender under the staple opening had a tape sign saying "Not a step". Apparently people boarding had stepped on the fender instead of hopping over the gap??? ;)

Last edited:
I used to wonder what people with a billion dollars could possibly do with the money. After visiting the Lauderdale show, I have a better idea.

I used to wonder what people with a billion dollars could possibly do with the money. After visiting the Lauderdale show, I have a better idea.

Looking at the other end of the spectrum, the mass market of production boats, Sea Ray sure shows some trends and new approaches. Two major moves. First the 40, 46 and 51' Sundancer series now all offer flybridge versions. They've found on their L Series 59' and 65' that the Flybridge models are the big sellers. I think they may find these flybridge models outselling the express models. Then also, outboards. Not just for smaller, entry level boats but all the way through the line. They have 29', 31' and 35' models in the show. They now offer 8 outboard models from 19 to 35'. They only have three runabouts that aren't also offered in an outboard version. The center console market has been booming so now people like Sea Ray are seeing the potential of outboard models.

What does any of this mean to this forum? First, discussions we've had on outboards and their potential in trawler or cruiser style boats. I think that will grow. Second, a lot of people have left the Sea Ray Express boats looking for more space and a flybridge or have not purchased because they wanted a flybridge. Well, now for around $800k, they can get a 40' Sea Ray with a bridge. An alternative cruising option vs. a trawler type boat.

Looking at the other end of the spectrum, the mass market of production boats, Sea Ray sure shows some trends and new approaches. Two major moves. First the 40, 46 and 51' Sundancer series now all offer flybridge versions. They've found on their L Series 59' and 65' that the Flybridge models are the big sellers. I think they may find these flybridge models outselling the express models. Then also, outboards. Not just for smaller, entry level boats but all the way through the line. They have 29', 31' and 35' models in the show. They now offer 8 outboard models from 19 to 35'. They only have three runabouts that aren't also offered in an outboard version. The center console market has been booming so now people like Sea Ray are seeing the potential of outboard models.

What does any of this mean to this forum? First, discussions we've had on outboards and their potential in trawler or cruiser style boats. I think that will grow. Second, a lot of people have left the Sea Ray Express boats looking for more space and a flybridge or have not purchased because they wanted a flybridge. Well, now for around $800k, they can get a 40' Sea Ray with a bridge. An alternative cruising option vs. a trawler type boat.

Not sure I follow all of the comments, I am probably not understanding what you meant.

Sea ray has sold a 40 ft bridge boat for at least 15-16 years. If you look through the last 15 years, wide range of 40 - 56 flybridges. A few 58's.

We have had two sea rays over the years, the last a 50 ft fly bridge.

Out of brand loyalty, we spent time at the SeaRay display just to make sure. At the end of the day our requirements drop the sport yachts from consideration.

Also, sea Ray dropped their outboard powered express cruiser (370 venture) earlier this year.

Mark

Not sure I follow all of the comments, I am probably not understanding what you meant.

Sea ray has sold a 40 ft bridge boat for at least 15-16 years. If you look through the last 15 years, wide range of 40 - 56 flybridges. A few 58's.

We have had two sea rays over the years, the last a 50 ft fly bridge.

Out of brand loyalty, we spent time at the SeaRay display just to make sure. At the end of the day our requirements drop the sport yachts from consideration.

Also, sea Ray dropped their outboard powered express cruiser (370 venture) earlier this year.

Mark

They've had fly bridge boats, but now they've added them to every model of the Sundancer line above 40'. At one time after the start of Meridian, most of the bridges were dropped from Sea Ray as they dropped their Sedans and left that strictly to Meridian. Now flybridges are being put on more express boats by them and others.

Also, you're right on dropping the express cruiser, although not sure anyone noticed. But now they've added outboards to the vast majority of their runabout line. There was a time that Sea Ray had no outboards as they were the sole jurisdiction of Bayliner. But the runabout world has changed a lot. Robalo has had large increases in sales the past few years.

Seems to be the handcuffs have been removed from Sea Ray by Brunswick and no longer a concern of competition with Bayliner or Meridian. In fact, I think Meridian may be near death at this point. They didn't show at FLIBS to my knowledge and they only show two models on their site now.

Other builders have done the same with flybridges. GB added them to all the Eastbays before dropping most of the line. Palm Beach offers every one of their boats now with a bridge.

I just find the changing of lines to be interesting. I also find the increase of outboards and decrease of inboard outboards to be a continuing story. Just seem to be a couple of trends to me.

Last edited:
Did anyone else stop by the Veem booth? They have a product now that challenges SeaKeeper in the gyro stabilizer market, and an interesting propeller called an interceptor.

The trailing edge of the power surface of each blade has a keyhole slot with a plastic insert that lets you slightly change the effective pitch of the prop without repropping or repitching the prop. It builds an area of rotating water which makes the water go up and over, causing an effective higher pitch.

Who knows how effective it is, nor how long the plastic strips last when sand blasting with the silt of the intracoastal waterway. I look forward to hearing someone who has it with an real life opinion, versus a trade show presentation.

We wish we could've spent more time in the engine/electronics/stabilizer booths area....we got so busy getting on and off boats to feel out what we value and don't we never had time...

On the engine front it seems many manufacturers are ditching Cummins in favor of John Deer but CAT still seems a strong player...

Ch

Back
Top Bottom