Old 04-22-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Anyone wanna buy a boat company?!

For only $300k you too can own your very own boat company!!! LMAO!

Who among us is gonna step up and buy it?! The hull design was actually pretty cool but I also wish they had a pilothouse or cabin style above deck. This design is only good for FL, Caribbean etc. Cool boat but obviously it didn't sell and now the company is for sale for peanuts.

Blue Planet 32E Test Drive - Blue Planet Catamarans - Setting the Environmental Standard - Powered by Torqeedo electric outboard motors

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #2

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
How do you make a small fortune in the boat business?
Start with a big fortune!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
We have a friend who owns a marina in Massachusetts. He regularly says, “Do you know how make a million dollars? Buy a marina for 2 million”.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
I have friend in auto racing that say the exact same thing.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
For only $300k you too can own your very own boat company!!! LMAO!

Who among us is gonna step up and buy it?! The hull design was actually pretty cool but I also wish they had a pilothouse or cabin style above deck. This design is only good for FL, Caribbean etc. Cool boat but obviously it didn't sell and now the company is for sale for peanuts.

Blue Planet 32E Test Drive - Blue Planet Catamarans - Setting the Environmental Standard - Powered by Torqeedo electric outboard motors
The map makes it look like it is Jarrett Bay just north of Beaufort, NC. Interesting. I have never heard of them or recall seeing them at boat shows. $300k, huh? not bad if you can find the right people.

**EDIT** Oh... now I know why... They are UGLY :-) http://www.blueplanetcatamarans.com/
Old 04-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Hmmm, boat is innovative. 2 heads? Forget to put the lid down you will not be welcome in bed without a hot soapy shower.
I suspect this is real 'hands on company' in other words, you pay your employees and you work for free.
Hey, at least the guy tried, for that, I give him credit.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:21 PM   #7
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Too bad it has such small windows! I understand small windows for offshore boats but I don't see this design as an offshore boat.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #8
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
When we were on the farm we used to say if we won a million dollars we would probably keep farming until it was all gone. I guess they kept making boats until all theirs was gone.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #9

City: Alexander
Had one, sold it “before” I ran out of money, ha
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #10

City: Kiln,MS
Interesting concept. I don't think it's practical without another means of propulsion. The electric drive setup looks pretty small so it probably wouldn't take much power to move the boat. It would be interesting to see what a diesel electric setup could do for efficiency.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #11

City: Alexander
My good friend Mort Ray, Ray Electric Outboard.
http://www.rayeo.com/
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #12
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT View Post
Interesting concept. I don't think it's practical without another means of propulsion. The electric drive setup looks pretty small so it probably wouldn't take much power to move the boat. It would be interesting to see what a diesel electric setup could do for efficiency.
Others have tried and failed. From what I understand, there is too much loss converting diesel to electricity, and driving electric motors to push props. With all the losses in props, apparently you're better off with a direct drive system where the engine runs a tranny and that drives the prop.

On a cat, it seems like having one or two generators supplying house power, charging batteries and pushing the boat along at a decent clip, it seems like it would be better to have one engine pushing both electrically driven props rather than having a yanmar in each hull. But again, I must be missing something...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Others have tried and failed. From what I understand, there is too much loss converting diesel to electricity, and driving electric motors to push props. With all the losses in props, apparently you're better off with a direct drive system where the engine runs a tranny and that drives the prop.

On a cat, it seems like having one or two generators supplying house power, charging batteries and pushing the boat along at a decent clip, it seems like it would be better to have one engine pushing both electrically driven props rather than having a yanmar in each hull. But again, I must be missing something...
It's common in large boat/ships. I know there will be some efficiency lose in the generator but I don't know what it would work out to compared to conventional setup. It would be interesting to see what could be accomplished with a dual gen setup like you described. Run one gen for slow speed and greater range and still have the control on both drives or run both gen for greater speed. Iirc a 10kw Diesel gen will burn just over 1 gph at full load. So if you could achieve 12kn you could get aprx. 6nm mpg. Anywho. Just thinking out loud.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
It's common in large boat/ships. I know there will be some efficiency lose in the generator but I don't know what it would work out to compared to conventional setup. It would be interesting to see what could be accomplished with a dual gen setup like you described. Run one gen for slow speed and greater range and still have the control on both drives or run both gen for greater speed. Iirc a 10kw Diesel gen will burn just over 1 gph at full load. So if you could achieve 12kn you could get aprx. 6nm mpg. Anywho. Just thinking out loud.
Put the diesel in RIB and tow it behind you.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #15
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thats some good "thinking out loud" I can use that info. I have an 8K Westerbeke generator and am thinking about putting a 4 K electric motor clutched to the main prop shaft for emergency propulsion if the Volvo ever fails.

If I can get 2 knots and do it with diesel its better than a gasoline outboard for "take me home" and will be in full control, on entering my slip, from the helm. If I can get 0.5 gallons per hour I will have a range of 400 hours.....if the generator could hold up to that at half load.

Thanks.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Thats some good "thinking out loud" I can use that info. I have an 8K Westerbeke generator and am thinking about putting a 4 K electric motor clutched to the main prop shaft for emergency propulsion if the Volvo ever fails.

If I can get 2 knots and do it with diesel its better than a gasoline outboard for "take me home" and will be in full control, on entering my slip, from the helm. If I can get 0.5 gallons per hour I will have a range of 400 hours.....if the generator could hold up to that at half load.

Thanks.
Half load for extended periods of time is no problem. The electric clutch/motor idea is definitely interesting. The only thing you may want to think about would be a way to control speed of the motor when you engaged it. when you do an across the line motor start. The amps is something like 8x rated amps. It also is hell on gens to start if not properly sized.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Put the diesel in RIB and tow it behind you.
Lol that would work but it seems like a lot of extra work. Although I would be curious to see what it would run with two 200 hp ox diesel's on the back.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:52 PM   #18
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Quote:
Half load for extended periods of time is no problem. The electric clutch/motor idea is definitely interesting. The only thing you may want to think about would be a way to control speed of the motor when you engaged it. when you do an across the line motor start. The amps is something like 8x rated amps. It also is hell on gens to start if not properly sized.
Would that starting current be that high if the electric motor was not loaded (clutch open)? I would have the option of either a DC motor or an AC motor since the gen set puts out both. One or the other might be easier to speed control. I built a "chopper" control for a DC motor back in the 70s when I built a hybrid car. Dont know about AC speed control.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #19
Guru

Years ago there used to be something called a 'cruise generator'. It was installed on the main shaft. I guess if you rewired it, it just might run as a motor. SHRUG
Old 04-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Would that starting current be that high if the electric motor was not loaded (clutch open)? I would have the option of either a DC motor or an AC motor since the gen set puts out both. One or the other might be easier to speed control. I built a "chopper" control for a DC motor back in the 70s when I built a hybrid car. Dont know about AC speed control.
The load would be minimal with the clutch open but as soon as you engaged it the amps would spike not to mention it would be the marine equivalent to dumping the clutch on a street car. The best option would probably be a vfd. You would be able to use a bias signal to control the speed. So you can engage the clutch then use basically a throttle lever to bring up the speed. Only down side would be trying to reverse the direction without a lot of complicated wiring/controls. DC is pretty easy to change direction with just a couple of contactors. Down side is high amps compared to the ac motor plus having to figure out a way to control the voltage/speed. One possible way would be to setup the gen with rectifiers to make DC and use the voltage regulator to vary the output voltage. Most avr have a on board voltage pot at the very least. Some may have an option for an external pot. Or worst case swap it for one that does.