Anyone seen Competitive Docking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNK

I read an article over the weekend about a series held in the Chesapeake area - St, Michale's, etc. - with working boats/captains competing to see who can dock the fastest. It sounded pretty exciting, especially since no one is using my boat!, and seems to involve frequent contact with pilings and docks. Each contestant is timed for backing out of their slip, turning hard and then backing into a different slip and tieing up; the best time wins, regardless of what you hit.

I had never even heard of this, and wonder if any of you have seen one of these contests?

I believe there are a few others around the country too....

There are also Lobster boat races in Maine.

Reminds me of my 1st attempt.

Just watched the competition in Solomons Sunday. It is very entertaining. Some of those guys really slam those transmissions around.

Something that would worth seeing in person.

I read an article over the weekend about a series held in the Chesapeake area - St, Michale's, etc. - with working boats/captains competing to see who can dock the fastest. It sounded pretty exciting, especially since no one is using my boat!, and seems to involve frequent contact with pilings and docks. Each contestant is timed for backing out of their slip, turning hard and then backing into a different slip and tieing up; the best time wins, regardless of what you hit.

I had never even heard of this, and wonder if any of you have seen one of these contests?

Yes, and it's KrAzY!!!!

Lobster boat races are short, maybe a half mile. I got back from our summer cruise to find the lobster boat races in Portland and then they had a tug boat race. Four big guys duking it out at six or eight knots. Great fun but watch that wake. 20230820_123719.jpg

Been to competitive docking events(Chesapeake Cowboys) many times. There are some that would not want to be associated with Neanderthals like us.

Anyone seen competitive docking?

Thanks for all the responses and videos, I am definitely going to plan to see one in person next season.
Hula hoops for throwing docking lines, what a cool idea, and that steering joystick!
PNK

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom