Old 09-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #161
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Like Larry and Eva on Bucky in Longboat, St. Pete Beach was fine. I'm near the west end of a canal close to the Gulf. It is protected.

Across the way and all around are McMansions -- three story duplexes (called "zero lot line" so the builders can charge more) ... in any event there's no real place for wind to build.

I'm surrounded by bigger boats. That's no surprise is it?!?

Tuesday I helped a neighbor. Lowering his awnings was supposed to take an hour. Three or four hours later we were done. So too was I!

No final trip to Walmart, just bunk time.
Then I was an idiot. I had not personally checked the weather radar so when I heard the storm would be here Thursday we figured a quick trip to Walmart in the morning would be fine.

Well, it wasn't. The doggone storm was here with torrential rains.
On Monday I had picked up an automatic bilge pump for Algae.

After bailing out 75 gallons of water from Algae I rested... just long enough for more torrential rains to dump another 50 gallons in the dink. That's when I did the final bail out and wired the new pump.

I was wet and didn't care. The pump worked flawlessly. I like it far better than the regular pump I had to turn on with a switch. I know -- decadence prevails.

Life is very good afloat and that $30 SeaFlow 750gph pump is overkill. But it works and was not expensive. For now it's just in the dinghy hooked to the battery terminals.

Once the rain stops I'll wire it properly with a fuse, three-way switch (maybe) and such. In this application I'm happy at present. I would have had to bail out the dinghy multiple times were it not for the SeaFlo.

Anyway, I digress. Late afternoon Thursday we had a white out for between five and ten minutes. I literally could not see the bow of my boat from the pilothouse I could see the neighbor's boat. His second boat was invisible as were the trees on the other side of the mangroves.

He lost some tree branches in his yard. Across the road (not waterside) the house lost a lot of tiles from their roof. They already have blue tarps up.

I will say I was very glad to be safely tucked into a secure place. Having spent tropical storms at anchor, tied is much easier on my psyche.

Still, it is exhausting. I meant to write last night and simply stayed awake to watch until tide turned. I was too tired to think words.

That's life here on the beach.

I am anxiously waiting for reports from my northern friends. My Carrabelle friend Kim said water was over the fuel dock at C-Quarters. Apalachicola pal's boat is fine though water is filling the marina on the east end. His Morgan is tucked around the corner in that protected area.

J, in St. Pete and glad of it!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #162
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Up here in CT it will be some bad weather but nothing like the south. Our Yacht Club has cancelled all weekend cruising plans.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #163

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Janice,
Good to know you're safe and sound...
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #164
Guru

Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
Janice,
Good to know you're safe and sound...
I have to admit I cannot recall the last time I was in a white-out. It was spooky. The trees I could not see are less than 20 feet from Seaweed. Ditto the 50' Hatteras. It's about 20' from me as well. Neither were visible. I could not even see the piling 5' from the bow of Seaweed.

I'm glad, very glad, I was not at anchor for that!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #165
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Janice,

Wow, you worked your tail off! Glad you're ok. Here in St. Pete we really didn't have it so bad..... (maybe)
Old 09-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #166

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Ride
Vessel Model: Albin 36 D/C Hull 46 Dec 1978
Janice - glad all is well. Wow.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #167
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Up here in CT it will be some bad weather but nothing like the south. Our Yacht Club has cancelled all weekend cruising plans.
Hold your breath....the jury is still out when and where and how strong it is leaving the Jersey coast on Tues...could be a Cat 2 and hit the middle of Long Island for all that can happen with these storms.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #168
FF
Guru

"Up here in CT it will be some bad weather but nothing like the south."

However we are down on rainfall so a nice fresh water washdown would be nice.

Not nice for the vacationers and businesses that live off the crowds tho......
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #169
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Not taking any chances. Lines are doubled, extra fenders are out, generator exercised.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #170
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Hold your breath....the jury is still out when and where and how strong it is leaving the Jersey coast on Tues...could be a Cat 2 and hit the middle of Long Island for all that can happen with these storms.

Perhaps.
I'll see what monday brings and decide if I need to do anything.
Right now our local weather liars are saying the high pressure will fend off a hit.
Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #171
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Glad you are safe and sound Janice! Sounds like you had quite the experience.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #172
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Perhaps.
I'll see what monday brings and decide if I need to do anything.
Right now our local weather liars are saying the high pressure will fend off a hit.
Sorry Jay...don't mean to jinx you....So for right now...looks to develop back into a hurricane off Jersey.

It could do anything at that point and forbid...strengthen too much.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:20 PM   #173
Guru

What was best was no damage to my boat or friends...

And too I will admit the happiness of knowing that once I plugged in the inverter I could go back off the grid without a problem. Everything except the air-conditioner can be powered via solar and my wind genny.

Still I cannot forget that there are 100k houses in St. Pete (according to the news broadcast) without power tonight. That's a lot of misery.

Having been in Andrew (south Florida) and then moving to Pensacola just in time for Ivan, then Katrina...w ell being power sufficient is critical. After Ivan we probably could have saved the carpet in Kidlet's house if we'd had electricity to dry out the rugs. No power was dreadful.

On the other hand Kidlet's house had propane for cooking. We became friends with neighbors. You'd be surprised how nice folks are when they find out you can make them their morning pot of coffee!
Old 09-03-2016, 12:02 AM   #174
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
For those of you lucky enough to dock your boat behind your house, have you thought of powering your house with your boat genny?

A lady I know was able to power a refrigerator, lights and fans after Andrew with her boat's generator. I thought that was pretty clever.

Of course another option is to move onto the boat if your house is without power. But then you lose a refrigerator full of food.

Are you all familiar with the Third Day Barbeque? The third day after a hurricane all the meat in your freezer has defrosted. Everyone has a Barbeque that day.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:22 AM   #175
FF
Guru

"For those of you lucky enough to dock your boat behind your house, have you thought of powering your house with your boat genny?"

Those that have run the loop have seen an island summer estate that was run from the boat gen set , as the norm in the 20's and 30's.

The problem with a std house is a transfer switch is still needed so the street power lines are not electrified , which could kill a power company repair guy, or fry your noisemaker when street juice is restored.

Safest would be a power cord with desired items plugged in , instead of doing the house.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:54 AM   #176
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Are you all familiar with the Third Day Barbeque? The third day after a hurricane all the meat in your freezer has defrosted. Everyone has a Barbeque that day.
Yep! Participated in a few of those.....happens in NC after ice storms too!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #177
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
For those of you lucky enough to dock your boat behind your house, have you thought of powering your house with your boat genny?

A lady I know was able to power a refrigerator, lights and fans after Andrew with her boat's generator. I thought that was pretty clever.

Of course another option is to move onto the boat if your house is without power. But then you lose a refrigerator full of food.

That was our plan. Run a line from an exterior boat receptacle to the garage fridge freezer and put the house stuff in there (kitchen fridge-freezer is built in). Then, because the A/C would be out, go sleep on the boat.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #178
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"For those of you lucky enough to dock your boat behind your house, have you thought of powering your house with your boat genny?"

Those that have run the loop have seen an island summer estate that was run from the boat gen set , as the norm in the 20's and 30's.

The problem with a std house is a transfer switch is still needed so the street power lines are not electrified , which could kill a power company repair guy, or fry your noisemaker when street juice is restored.

Safest would be a power cord with desired items plugged in , instead of doing the house.
Never though of that, but it's an option, and ya, would require a transfer switch which is not hard to install. I've been lucky, never without power for more than a few minutes... ever, so I can argue to just take my chances. However, I have a Honda 2000 that will power a few refrigerators and lights and cover the basics.

But AC would be awful nice if it's hot (and usually is during hurricanes).

Overall, solar would be really nice, and be independent.. no grid or gas requirements.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #179
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Sorry Jay...don't mean to jinx you....So for right now...looks to develop back into a hurricane off Jersey.

It could do anything at that point and forbid...strengthen too much.
We'll add some lines and fenders but won't bother stripping canvas.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #180
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
We'll add some lines and fenders but won't bother stripping canvas.
I've noted several saying they didn't or wouldn't strip the canvas and it makes me wonder how long does it take you to do so? Just wouldn't think it was as big a task as it apparently is for some.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote