Anyone prepping along the Florida and Gulf coast??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've noted several saying they didn't or wouldn't strip the canvas and it makes me wonder how long does it take you to do so? Just wouldn't think it was as big a task as it apparently is for some.

Not a huge deal but the predicted winds are what we get in thunderstorms hence not worth the effort right now. If predictions change it may be a different story

My friend did run extension cords to the house from the boat. No need for a transfer switch.

I shouldn't admit it but I've back fed my house with a portable generator through a 220v outlet. I did turn off the main breaker first.

After Andrew we were without power for ten days. The real problem was that our house was on a well, couldn't pump water. I rigged a Jabsco 12 volt pump to back feed my water system and carried home water in a bunch of 5 gallon cans. I could flush the toilets and take a shower.

When you have to carry the water, the rule is: If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.

I shouldn't admit it but I've back fed my house with a portable generator through a 220v outlet. I did turn off the main breaker first.

Why not? I did that for years. Put a 220vac receptacle in the garage and backfed the panel.
Turn off the main and Bobs your Uncle .

Agree. I made up a cord that goes from the generator to the dryer 220 vac receptacle. When the power is out the only thing we cannot use is the dryer and we have a clothes line to back that up. Was never a Boy Scout but still live by the motto.

Agree. I made up a cord that goes from the generator to the dryer 220 vac receptacle. When the power is out the only thing we cannot use is the dryer and we have a clothes line to back that up. Was never a Boy Scout but still live by the motto.

I was fortunate enough to have a sub panel in the garage so I could install a receptacle.
If I didn't then I would have done what you did.

OK, just now getting back on the air after several days without power. Days without power are rough as a cob, by the way. We were right in the eye. My boat survived -- tall pilings in the slip -- but driving down there to check is like going through a wasteland. A suggested read for those who are into such things: "The Last Ship" We think about our boats, and will they come through OK, but lots and lots of human tragedies also. People who cannot afford boats, and live on the margins. This area is a rough patch right now.

I was wondering about you up there, John. The reports about St. Marks on the Weather Channel sounded darned gloomy. Last thing I saw was the deck of a waterfront restaurant floating away but the interview the next morning with the lady and her little grocery store was hopeful. I guess the whole town was under water. What's next for you?

I was wondering about you up there, John. The reports about St. Marks on the Weather Channel sounded darned gloomy. Last thing I saw was the deck of a waterfront restaurant floating away but the interview the next morning with the lady and her little grocery store was hopeful. I guess the whole town was under water. What's next for you?

Yeah, the whole town was pretty much underwater. Not much of a town, actually. The marina, a restaurant, a few small stores. So far as what is next for me, I am out of the woods now and life is back to normal. Power on, boat OK (thank goodness they put in some very tall pilings!), and two generators at home which carried me through when the power was off. Thanks for the thoughts.

In our home main break panel, I installed a 60 amp breaker for the generator.
And an interlock. That has a sliding metal handle that prevents the main and gen breaker from both being on at the same time. It is either one or the other can be on.
It is very nice to be able to then selectively power the entire house using the main panel with no sub panel needed.

Many of the distribution panel makers offer an interlock.
Mine is a Square-D, Homeline panel.

JW, glad to hear you're ok.

Back
Top Bottom