Old 02-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Seabeck, WA
Anyone own, owned or know about Marine Trader 50 MY's?

I tried to search this but nothing came up. I've communicated with one owner and he was very helpful...might even be on this forum. Just looking for another perspective. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadosan View Post
I tried to search this but nothing came up. I've communicated with one owner and he was very helpful...might even be on this forum. Just looking for another perspective. Thanks.
I could have sworn that there was a MT 50 for sale in the seattle area a couple years ago. The name Mark and Julie rings a bell for some reason.

It was a single engine boat with a DD engine if memory is correct.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. W. In a previous life I thought about buying a MT 50. Looked at a number of them. They came in 2 basic configurations. Walk around decks and wide bodies. The ill maintained ones, why is this not surprising?, seemed to suffer from the common Taiwanese ills as in leaky/soft decks and windows etc. NOT a condemnation of MT's, but of poor maintenance.
A lot of teak inside. The interiors varied somewhat in that a few had separate pilot houses and others the lower station was essentially the forward end of the saloon. Saw both Lehman and Perkins powered vessels but never a single. Really good engine access from the central lower companionway/corridor as the bulkheads inboard of the engines were removable. I like them and actually put an offer in on one, was refused and I heard the boat sold 8 mos. later for less than my low ball offer.
As with EVERY vessel, get a good survey.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

I could have sworn that there was a MT 50 for sale in the seattle area a couple years ago. The name Mark and Julie rings a bell for some reason.

It was a single engine boat with a DD engine if memory is correct.
I haven't found anything in this area on YW. I think there's like five of them listed in the entire country. Although I don't believe these came with singles. At least not sure how they could unless the engine room was designed differently. I thought MT 50's all had an engine room for each engine separated by a passageway. Not saying though that there isn't one configured differently out there...I just haven't seen it yet.

DD engine...I can't figure out what this means?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. W. In a previous life I thought about buying a MT 50. Looked at a number of them. They came in 2 basic configurations. Walk around decks and wide bodies. The ill maintained ones, why is this not surprising?, seemed to suffer from the common Taiwanese ills as in leaky/soft decks and windows etc. NOT a condemnation of MT's, but of poor maintenance.
A lot of teak inside. The interiors varied somewhat in that a few had separate pilot houses and others the lower station was essentially the forward end of the saloon. Saw both Lehman and Perkins powered vessels but never a single. Really good engine access from the central lower companionway/corridor as the bulkheads inboard of the engines were removable. I like them and actually put an offer in on one, was refused and I heard the boat sold 8 mos. later for less than my low ball offer.
As with EVERY vessel, get a good survey.
Thanks. Did you ever take one out for a sea trial or did it not get that far in the pre-purchase?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. W DD=Detroit Diesel. Nope, never left the dock with any of them. I think Mr. Rolling Stone has one but he has vacated the premises (TF site) for the time being. You might try a PM (private message) or Mr. Sailor of Fortune has his phone #. Mr. RS would be the person to get in touch with as he has done a fair amount of repair on his vessel which he documented on this site. Can't remember the threads though...
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I looked at them seriously a few years back. No DDs unless someone did a strange re-power. Twins on all. I finally dismissed them as being far too top heavy for my taste. We had a poster here for years who kept his at the city marina in Charleston.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1828698_38.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	16804  
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
I haven't found anything in this area on YW. I think there's like five of them listed in the entire country. Although I don't believe these came with singles. At least not sure how they could unless the engine room was designed differently. I thought MT 50's all had an engine room for each engine separated by a passageway. Not saying though that there isn't one configured differently out there...I just haven't seen it yet.

DD engine...I can't figure out what this means?

OK, found it, the boat was on Craigs List for years. Its actually a MT 49

Then it went to a broker it seems.

Here's a link to a you tube video

When we were looking a few years ago we ran accross the boat, and liked much of what we saw in the several videos they had on the boat.

The probably only reason we didn't fly down to look at it in person is because the owner was very honest and when i asked him about the condition of the decks he indicated that there were some soft spots.

I don't know how extensive the deck issues are, or if they were repaired since then, but its a beautiful boat.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Back in the day, Marine Trader was following/copying DeFever's designs and builds. The MT49/5x plans posted by Daddyo very much resemble the 53 - 60 DeFever flushdecks still alive and well to this day as new builds. With proper weight distribution and ballasting the flushdeck design can be quite seaworthy. Think Hatteras.

I've met a fellow who recently brought his late model 60' Defever from San Diego to Seattle non-stop (is it a coastal or blue water cruiser?). A lovely and safe boat with the machinery and tankage placed very low in the deep draft stabilized vessel.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
MT50 widebody for sale at

sailingmachines.com
Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I looked at them seriously a few years back. No DDs unless someone did a strange re-power. Twins on all. I finally dismissed them as being far too top heavy for my taste. We had a poster here for years who kept his at the city marina in Charleston.
So in my quest for knowledge, I'm interested in why you thought this was too top heavy? Her draft is 4'8", full displacement hull, and 46000 lbs. Righting moment not good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
OK, found it, the boat was on Craigs List for years. Its actually a MT 49. The probably only reason we didn't fly down to look at it in person is because the owner was very honest and when i asked him about the condition of the decks he indicated that there were some soft spots. I don't know how extensive the deck issues are, or if they were repaired since then, but its a beautiful boat.
I saw the MT 49 as well and really like the looks...more trawler-like (in my mind anyway). The wife likes the MT 50 because of the room and layout. I don't dislike the MT 50...

A owner I spoke with felt these (MT 50's) did not have deck issues because they were built at the Lien Hwa factory where the Cheoy Lee's were built. Evidently, the factory typically built larger more upscale boats and the MT 50's and CL's benefited from a higher quality build because of that. The specific example he provided for the deck leak question I asked was regarding the railing stanchions. MT glassed in teak boards for the screws to go into so nothing penetrated the deck. This was just one example. He also said he is in a group of MT 50 owners (50 of them) and none have deck issues.

Do you guys hear otherwise or is it just the presumed leaking that all MT's have? I know they kinda have a bad rap for that. The picture is just one I found on the web. But it shows the draft and whatever those horizontal things are (some type of stabilizer?) on the hull.

Thanks RT for the clarification.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
So in my quest for knowledge, I'm interested in why you thought this was too top heavy? Her draft is 4'8", full displacement hull, and 46000 lbs. Righting moment not good?

I saw the MT 49 as well and really like the looks...more trawler-like (in my mind anyway). The wife likes the MT 50 because of the room and layout. I don't dislike the MT 50...

A owner I spoke with felt these (MT 50's) did not have deck issues because they were built at the Lien Hwa factory where the Cheoy Lee's were built. Evidently, the factory typically built larger more upscale boats and the MT 50's and CL's benefited from a higher quality build because of that. The specific example he provided for the deck leak question I asked was regarding the railing stanchions. MT glassed in teak boards for the screws to go into so nothing penetrated the deck. This was just one example. He also said he is in a group of MT 50 owners (50 of them) and none have deck issues.

Do you guys hear otherwise or is it just the presumed leaking that all MT's have? I know they kinda have a bad rap for that. The picture is just one I found on the web. But it shows the draft and whatever those horizontal things are (some type of stabilizer?) on the hull.

Thanks RT for the clarification.
Those are bilge keels added to address the top heavy concerns I had. The freeboard on these seems excessive to me. When you see one from astern it really shows what I'm talking about.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Back in the day, Marine Trader was following/copying DeFever's designs and builds. The MT49/5x plans posted by Daddyo very much resemble the 53 - 60 DeFever flushdecks still alive and well to this day as new builds. With proper weight distribution and ballasting the flushdeck design can be quite seaworthy. Think Hatteras.

I've met a fellow who recently brought his late model 60' Defever from San Diego to Seattle non-stop (is it a coastal or blue water cruiser?). A lovely and safe boat with the machinery and tankage placed very low in the deep draft stabilized vessel.
I must say the DeFever 60 is an outright ship. She is definitely a world girdling boat. I was aboard "Paladin" once and if I could I would have sold the children into slavery to have had her
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2209027_1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	16815   Click image for larger version

Name:	2209027_52.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	16816   Click image for larger version

Name:	3909729_-1_20120430122027_0_0.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	16817   Click image for larger version

Name:	2209027_4.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	16818  
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I must say the DeFever 60 is an outright ship. She is definitely a world girdling boat. I was aboard "Paladin" once and if I could I would have sold the children into slavery to have had her
Wow. Very nice. So you feel these are less top heavy than the MT50? My inexperienced eye doesn't see much difference between the DeFever 60 and the MT 50. I realize one can't really compare the two vessels...it would be like a Cadillac to a Chevy but it seems the proportions are similar.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
Guru

The MT has considerably more freeboard and less beam. The wetted surface on the DeFever is considerably more as well due to the deeper midship bilge and forefoot.