Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Seabeck, WA
Country: USA
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 53
Anyone own, owned or know about Marine Trader 50 MY's?

I tried to search this but nothing came up. I've communicated with one owner and he was very helpful...might even be on this forum. Just looking for another perspective. Thanks.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Wade & Maureen
Trawler Dreamers
Wadosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar


 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadosan View Post
I tried to search this but nothing came up. I've communicated with one owner and he was very helpful...might even be on this forum. Just looking for another perspective. Thanks.
I could have sworn that there was a MT 50 for sale in the seattle area a couple years ago. The name Mark and Julie rings a bell for some reason.

It was a single engine boat with a DD engine if memory is correct.
__________________

__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,459
Greetings,
Mr. W. In a previous life I thought about buying a MT 50. Looked at a number of them. They came in 2 basic configurations. Walk around decks and wide bodies. The ill maintained ones, why is this not surprising?, seemed to suffer from the common Taiwanese ills as in leaky/soft decks and windows etc. NOT a condemnation of MT's, but of poor maintenance.
A lot of teak inside. The interiors varied somewhat in that a few had separate pilot houses and others the lower station was essentially the forward end of the saloon. Saw both Lehman and Perkins powered vessels but never a single. Really good engine access from the central lower companionway/corridor as the bulkheads inboard of the engines were removable. I like them and actually put an offer in on one, was refused and I heard the boat sold 8 mos. later for less than my low ball offer.
As with EVERY vessel, get a good survey.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member
 
City: Seabeck, WA
Country: USA
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

I could have sworn that there was a MT 50 for sale in the seattle area a couple years ago. The name Mark and Julie rings a bell for some reason.

It was a single engine boat with a DD engine if memory is correct.
I haven't found anything in this area on YW. I think there's like five of them listed in the entire country. Although I don't believe these came with singles. At least not sure how they could unless the engine room was designed differently. I thought MT 50's all had an engine room for each engine separated by a passageway. Not saying though that there isn't one configured differently out there...I just haven't seen it yet.

DD engine...I can't figure out what this means?
__________________
Wade & Maureen
Trawler Dreamers
Wadosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member
 
City: Seabeck, WA
Country: USA
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. W. In a previous life I thought about buying a MT 50. Looked at a number of them. They came in 2 basic configurations. Walk around decks and wide bodies. The ill maintained ones, why is this not surprising?, seemed to suffer from the common Taiwanese ills as in leaky/soft decks and windows etc. NOT a condemnation of MT's, but of poor maintenance.
A lot of teak inside. The interiors varied somewhat in that a few had separate pilot houses and others the lower station was essentially the forward end of the saloon. Saw both Lehman and Perkins powered vessels but never a single. Really good engine access from the central lower companionway/corridor as the bulkheads inboard of the engines were removable. I like them and actually put an offer in on one, was refused and I heard the boat sold 8 mos. later for less than my low ball offer.
As with EVERY vessel, get a good survey.
Thanks. Did you ever take one out for a sea trial or did it not get that far in the pre-purchase?
__________________
Wade & Maureen
Trawler Dreamers
Wadosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,459
Greetings,
Mr. W DD=Detroit Diesel. Nope, never left the dock with any of them. I think Mr. Rolling Stone has one but he has vacated the premises (TF site) for the time being. You might try a PM (private message) or Mr. Sailor of Fortune has his phone #. Mr. RS would be the person to get in touch with as he has done a fair amount of repair on his vessel which he documented on this site. Can't remember the threads though...
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar
 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,397
I looked at them seriously a few years back. No DDs unless someone did a strange re-power. Twins on all. I finally dismissed them as being far too top heavy for my taste. We had a poster here for years who kept his at the city marina in Charleston.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1828698_38.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	16804  
__________________
Cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar


 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadosan View Post
I haven't found anything in this area on YW. I think there's like five of them listed in the entire country. Although I don't believe these came with singles. At least not sure how they could unless the engine room was designed differently. I thought MT 50's all had an engine room for each engine separated by a passageway. Not saying though that there isn't one configured differently out there...I just haven't seen it yet.

DD engine...I can't figure out what this means?

OK, found it, the boat was on Craigs List for years. Its actually a MT 49

Then it went to a broker it seems.

Here's a link to a you tube video



When we were looking a few years ago we ran accross the boat, and liked much of what we saw in the several videos they had on the boat.

The probably only reason we didn't fly down to look at it in person is because the owner was very honest and when i asked him about the condition of the decks he indicated that there were some soft spots.

I don't know how extensive the deck issues are, or if they were repaired since then, but its a beautiful boat.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,870
Back in the day, Marine Trader was following/copying DeFever's designs and builds. The MT49/5x plans posted by Daddyo very much resemble the 53 - 60 DeFever flushdecks still alive and well to this day as new builds. With proper weight distribution and ballasting the flushdeck design can be quite seaworthy. Think Hatteras.

I've met a fellow who recently brought his late model 60' Defever from San Diego to Seattle non-stop (is it a coastal or blue water cruiser?). A lovely and safe boat with the machinery and tankage placed very low in the deep draft stabilized vessel.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Ted
Guru
 
Ted's Avatar
 
City: Campbell River
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 630
MT50 widebody for sale at

sailingmachines.com
Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member
 
City: Seabeck, WA
Country: USA
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I looked at them seriously a few years back. No DDs unless someone did a strange re-power. Twins on all. I finally dismissed them as being far too top heavy for my taste. We had a poster here for years who kept his at the city marina in Charleston.
So in my quest for knowledge, I'm interested in why you thought this was too top heavy? Her draft is 4'8", full displacement hull, and 46000 lbs. Righting moment not good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
OK, found it, the boat was on Craigs List for years. Its actually a MT 49. The probably only reason we didn't fly down to look at it in person is because the owner was very honest and when i asked him about the condition of the decks he indicated that there were some soft spots. I don't know how extensive the deck issues are, or if they were repaired since then, but its a beautiful boat.
I saw the MT 49 as well and really like the looks...more trawler-like (in my mind anyway). The wife likes the MT 50 because of the room and layout. I don't dislike the MT 50...

A owner I spoke with felt these (MT 50's) did not have deck issues because they were built at the Lien Hwa factory where the Cheoy Lee's were built. Evidently, the factory typically built larger more upscale boats and the MT 50's and CL's benefited from a higher quality build because of that. The specific example he provided for the deck leak question I asked was regarding the railing stanchions. MT glassed in teak boards for the screws to go into so nothing penetrated the deck. This was just one example. He also said he is in a group of MT 50 owners (50 of them) and none have deck issues.

Do you guys hear otherwise or is it just the presumed leaking that all MT's have? I know they kinda have a bad rap for that. The picture is just one I found on the web. But it shows the draft and whatever those horizontal things are (some type of stabilizer?) on the hull.

Thanks RT for the clarification.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Wade & Maureen
Trawler Dreamers
Wadosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar
 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadosan View Post
So in my quest for knowledge, I'm interested in why you thought this was too top heavy? Her draft is 4'8", full displacement hull, and 46000 lbs. Righting moment not good?

I saw the MT 49 as well and really like the looks...more trawler-like (in my mind anyway). The wife likes the MT 50 because of the room and layout. I don't dislike the MT 50...

A owner I spoke with felt these (MT 50's) did not have deck issues because they were built at the Lien Hwa factory where the Cheoy Lee's were built. Evidently, the factory typically built larger more upscale boats and the MT 50's and CL's benefited from a higher quality build because of that. The specific example he provided for the deck leak question I asked was regarding the railing stanchions. MT glassed in teak boards for the screws to go into so nothing penetrated the deck. This was just one example. He also said he is in a group of MT 50 owners (50 of them) and none have deck issues.

Do you guys hear otherwise or is it just the presumed leaking that all MT's have? I know they kinda have a bad rap for that. The picture is just one I found on the web. But it shows the draft and whatever those horizontal things are (some type of stabilizer?) on the hull.

Thanks RT for the clarification.
Those are bilge keels added to address the top heavy concerns I had. The freeboard on these seems excessive to me. When you see one from astern it really shows what I'm talking about.
__________________
Cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar
 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Back in the day, Marine Trader was following/copying DeFever's designs and builds. The MT49/5x plans posted by Daddyo very much resemble the 53 - 60 DeFever flushdecks still alive and well to this day as new builds. With proper weight distribution and ballasting the flushdeck design can be quite seaworthy. Think Hatteras.

I've met a fellow who recently brought his late model 60' Defever from San Diego to Seattle non-stop (is it a coastal or blue water cruiser?). A lovely and safe boat with the machinery and tankage placed very low in the deep draft stabilized vessel.
I must say the DeFever 60 is an outright ship. She is definitely a world girdling boat. I was aboard "Paladin" once and if I could I would have sold the children into slavery to have had her
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2209027_1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	16815   Click image for larger version

Name:	2209027_52.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	16816   Click image for larger version

Name:	3909729_-1_20120430122027_0_0.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	16817   Click image for larger version

Name:	2209027_4.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	16818  
__________________
Cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member
 
City: Seabeck, WA
Country: USA
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I must say the DeFever 60 is an outright ship. She is definitely a world girdling boat. I was aboard "Paladin" once and if I could I would have sold the children into slavery to have had her
Wow. Very nice. So you feel these are less top heavy than the MT50? My inexperienced eye doesn't see much difference between the DeFever 60 and the MT 50. I realize one can't really compare the two vessels...it would be like a Cadillac to a Chevy but it seems the proportions are similar.
__________________
Wade & Maureen
Trawler Dreamers
Wadosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Guru
 
Daddyo's Avatar
 
City: Cruising East Coast US
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,397
The MT has considerably more freeboard and less beam. The wetted surface on the DeFever is considerably more as well due to the deeper midship bilge and forefoot.
__________________
Cruiser
Esse Quam Videri
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
City: Texas
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 158
This thread is probably dead but I looked at "Tortuga" a MT50 for sale in clear lake Texas and absolutely loved it. It was a walk around. One of my favorite aspects was the engine room, it didn't have the usual corridor, the entire space was open and had a door on either end, so basically the aft cabin was separated from the front by the engine room... but doors on either end of the engine room allowed access
Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
City: Texas
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 158
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198.../United-States

It's sold already but the pictures are still up and they have one if the engine room, I was so impressed.
Also, I'm 6'5" and the salon level had amazing head room (probably 6'7") but the lower lever with the engine room and bedrooms had about what my 37 does for headroom.
Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #18
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,459
Greetings,
Mr. N. Indeed a very nice MT 50. I've never seen that ER layout before. Might be a newer development of the the model.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:24 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
City: Texas
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. N. Indeed a very nice MT 50. I've never seen that ER layout before. Might be a newer development of the the model.
I talked to that boats previous owner, he told me the non-wide body models of his vintage had no hallway, whereas the wide body models had the hallway and seperate engine rooms.
My online research was pretty inconclusive because I only saw one other for sale with the large single ER.
What I like about the wide body is the half bath upstairs.
The walk around models had 3 heads but they were all downstairs... that made no sense to me.
__________________

Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012