Old 02-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #1

City: Brookings
Vessel Name: Stargazer
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
Anyone heard of this tool?

There's supposed to be a tool out there that is used for removing the material between deck boards, and this tool is supposed to use vibration to cut through the caulking.* It's supposed to be a German tool, and quite pricey, but there's also supposed to be an American*knockoff version.

The tool can also be used for getting behind the wooden window frame and will cut through the adhesive that binds the glass to the frame.* This is actually what I need it for, but I can't find anyone who has actual knowledge of this tool.

I see from the blogs that some folks use piano or guitar wire to fashion a tool for this purpose, but if there's a tool out there that's actually made for this kind of cutting, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Mike
coyote454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Guru

Mike, I beleive you are talking about a FEIN saw. Have a look
http://www.feinus.com/

-- Edited by Capn Chuck at 20:32, 2009-02-04

-- Edited by Capn Chuck at 20:33, 2009-02-04
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #3

RE: Anyone heard of this tool?

Chuck,

That tool looks like it may work.* I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow and check it out.* With three cracked windows on my little ship, this will be quite a project for the summer, and this tool may make it more bearable.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Guru

Mike, Beware they are expensive so shop around. You can find better prices on the net.
http://www.coastaltool.com/a/fein/fein-multimasters.htm

-- Edited by Capn Chuck at 21:28, 2009-02-04
Old 02-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products

Seems like Rockwell has something along this line, seen some ads on tv for one.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 AM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

The Fein Multimaster is the 2nd. best and most useful tool on board my boat behind my cordless drill.*I call it my "teak eraser". The sanding is very effective and the tool is heavy, so you don't get all that vibration that wears your hands out. I have some "J" blades to remove deck caulking when I'm re-doing parts of my deck and they work great. The plunge saw is great for removing glass, etc. I HIGHLY recommend one of these. They're also very useful around the house.

-- Edited by Keith at 09:11, 2009-02-05
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Guru

I'll second all the good things you've read about the Fein Multimaster. I'll add that if/when you buy one, buy the kit that has an assortment of blades and tools. Individually they are way more expensive than buying them in the kit. The kit comes with a great case that stores everything together.

Ken
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #8

Do need one to keep from breaking an already broken window or just want a neat tool. I would think if you wait until summer and warm weather you could certainly get the old out and new in without the extra cost. Money would be to me better in the fuel tank.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #9

Larry,

I have three salon windows that all have serious cracks through them, although you can't feel the crack on the inside or the outside of the glass yet.* They all should be replaced, but I'm reluctant to start prying off the outer wooden frames without having a tool to cut the adhesive that's between the glass and the frames.*

I've read where some folks used piano wire to fabricate a cutting tool, but I'm leary of trying this myself.

The Fein sounds like it has a blade for cutting through the adhesive, so although pricey, that seems my only option at this point.

Thanks to all for their input.

Mike
Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

A few hand tools can do the same thing.* A thin flexible putty knife slipped between the frame and the window will cut through the caulking and/or sealant.* 5 bucks.* To remove the old deck caulking take a hook nose carpet knife and cut down both sides of the seam. 5 bucks.* The take a regular flat blade screwdriver and run/ream it down the seam to remove the remaining old caulking and/or *wood - 2 bucks. 10 to 20 buck of hand tools can to the same job.*

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products

I say go for the new toy, I mean tool. Love that new tool smell.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #12

Like Phil/Fill said take your time and being carefull it's not that hard. I've owned several wood boats and all old. Window trim is usually pretty flimsy, and if you break it not that hard to duplicate. I guess I was just trying to save you a little doe for a tool that will be of limited use. Just my thoughts on the subject and I know a couple cracked windows would bug me to.

When you go to get the glass cut sometimes the glass shop will have some neat things to use and loan them or give them to you. I know when I repaired the rear windows in my aft cabin my glass shop, where I bought the glass and rubbers, mounted in steel, gave me a neat little plastic tool and a few good directions. So when you get ready to do them go and talk to you glass man and see what he has to say.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
LarryW wrote:

Like Phil/Fill said take your time and being carefull it's not that hard. I've owned several wood boats and all old. Window trim is usually pretty flimsy, and if you break it not that hard to duplicate. I guess I was just trying to save you a little doe for a tool that will be of limited use. Just my thoughts on the subject and I know a couple cracked windows would bug me to.
Once you buy a Fein Multimaster and find out what it can do it will quickly become a very used tool. And you will be the most sought after guy on the dock.

-- Edited by Capn Chuck at 17:03, 2009-02-05
Old 02-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

I have removed several windows with out the tool or piano wire, etc. All you need is a little package of the thin wood shims for setting doors, windows etc. You can get a pack at any hardware store. Slowly drive the shims in around the window between the glass and the frame and between the cabin side and the frame. The process is you go all the way around the window several times driving the shims in farther each time until loose. The whole process takes several minutes that's all. After getting the frame off the real fun is getting the 5200 like stuff off the backs of the frames. Painters 5 in 1 tool, sand paper, and acetone usually does the trick.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA

I have the Fein tool and it is wonderful.* Phil is right though, you don't really need it.* I have replaced port lights by using a putty knife and a heat gun.* You begin to insert the putty knife between the frame and the bulkhead and apply heat to the exposed part of the putty knife.* As the blade heats up, you can work the putty knife in and around the window frame.* Small wedges very gently driven in behind you as you work around the frame will also help.* Be very careful to not let the blade get so hot as to discolor or char the frame.

Good luck.....

Phil...good to meet you at the boat show and thanks for your kind words over on the PM site.

Peter
OkSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:39 AM   #16
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

A flexible fillet knife can do wonders on caulk and glass. I used my Dexter Russell to take out some fixed glass in the pilothouse.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
Guru

You've received some good advice about how to take your windows out. I've no doubt they all work. Your circumstances may well allow you to use the more labor intensive ones. For me, time on the boat is precious. I enjoy tinkering and dinking around with all the little things that always seem to need attention, but I hate hard labor. I enjoy drinking Crown and admiring the job when it's done.

I don't enjoy paying a fortune for new teak to rebuild a frame that split from driving wedges under it. I don't enjoy spending hours sanding a frame that could be sanded in minutes with the right tool. Cuts on my hands from my fillet knife make work a little slower for a few days. And we're only talking about one project.

When you need to cut out a clean, square, neat hole for a new electrical outlet the Fein tool will do the job nicely. When you need to sand into the corner under the toe kick in the galley while refinishing the cabin sole, the Fein tool will do the job nicely. When you are sanding the window opening prior to putting in the new glass, the Fein tool will do the job nicely. When you're reefing the deck seam to make a repair or to redo the entire deck, the Fein tool will do the job nicely.

Now the question is, do you want to buy the tool now, or later? After you sweat your way thru a few of the jobs you'll eventually find one that you really need the Fein tool for and you'll break down and buy one. Buy it now and save the effort. It is a great tool.

Ken
Old 02-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #18
Guru

Not yet. I'm waiting for some special occasion for someone to bring a bottle my way. Good?
Old 02-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #19
Guru

I'll have to give it a try. There are those special moments when something really smooth is good. I'll hide it in the back of the cabinet so the riff raff doesn't find it.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #20
Guru

The problem that you might think about with window frames is that you don't always know what someone else did before you. While I might bed the frame with a soft non hardening putty, knowing I might be doing this job again in 15 years, others might be planning a permanent repair and bed it back with 4200 or heaven forbid 5200.

So while one boat owner found the job easy another might find a whole 'nother animal. Prepare for the worst, act surprised when it's easy.

Ken