Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #21

I agree that so many accidents/ tragedies can be prevented, but their occurrence should not negate compassion.

The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
Guru

The sea does not suffer fools gladly.

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Interesting place for a battery box. Looks like some fresh (no-gel coat) glass work done on one of the pictures. Hard to imagine that no-one is stepping forward without some information.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Steve, I was talking about the 10 life jackets found. If I find issue with the story it probably because this could have been avoided. The boat was most likely on autopilot and the hopefully the man was alone. I see enough deaths right here in my town on the water every year because of stupidity. The guys boat that blew up was while they were taking on fuel? Im sure that could have been avoided. I may be insensitive but I don't like stupidity on water. There are no do overs on the water. Plenty of idiots on the dirt we don't need more in the water. Didn't mean to offend the collective but it's hard to feel bad for something that was preventable.
your right on the money Swampu and I thank you for your statement.

On the water your life can depend upon everything around you and if you have a flippant attitude like so many out there do you are on the road to disaster. I mentioned earlier that on the hard you break down all that happens is you boo hoo a bit and wait for a tow truck or other assistance. On the water its not usually that easy except maybe in southern California. I remember a few years back when a jet boat, one of those six inch above the water jobs with a blown 454 and weapers designed to make noise and go submarine at the smallest wake or wave disappeared by San Pedro. Three days later it was still missing and the seven, yes seven passengers on board were presumed dead. Well on that third day a trawler heading to Mexico found them all alive and well just a bit hungry and thirsty having only booze on board. Only down there are the seas ever so calm for that long to allow a boat of this type to be even operated at sea. They were drifting in the current without radio life preservers or anything. They stated they just went out to have fun and the motor quit. unbelievable story but true
Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #25
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
CG came up with a little more

http://m.jacksonville.com/news/crime...oat-where-body
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
.... I don't like stupidity on water. There are no do overs on the water. Plenty of idiots on the dirt we don't need more in the water....
"There are old sailors, and there are bold sailors, but there are no old bold sailors" Anon.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
"There are old sailors, and there are bold sailors, but there are no old bold sailors" Anon.
correct, the old sailors have long past learned to hire sweet young crews...te hhe....