Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Anyone else blocked from Active Captain?

Coincidentally after getting into a spat with Jeffery_S of Active Captain, I now find myself blocked from Active Captain access. Attempts to log into my account continually say my password is invalid, even though I have verified it with the password recovery feature. This hasn't resolved itself after about a week, so it's not just an AC malfunction.

Has this happened to anyone else here? I have heard indirectly that it has. It all seems rather petty and vindictive, but maybe that's just me.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Yep! Happened to me a couple years ago and I wasn't even part of the discussion that got my AC account closed.

There is life after Active Captain. Don't worry.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
My login works just fine. I would send a request to Support@activecaptain.com and see if they can check on the problem for you.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
He blocked me from his Facebook group but not the Active Captain itself. Interpersonal skills are not his best attribute.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Old 03-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
You can always create a new email address on gmail, for example named ISwearILoveJeff at gmail.com and create a new account
Old 03-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
You can always create a new email address on gmail, for example named ISwearILoveJeff at gmail.com and create a new account

Understood. I'm just curious how wide-spread the behavior is.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
But if I can risk a personal opinion, if it reveals you were really blocked because of the discussion this is a very bad practice in my sense. Expressing a different point of view should not result in being banned from anywhere.

L.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
But if I can risk a personal opinion, if it reveals you were really blocked because of the discussion this is a very bad practice in my sense. Expressing a different point of view should not result in being banned from anywhere.

L.

Oh, I agree completely. And it's apparently not just me.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #10

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I verified that I can logon. If you believe this was done by the site owner, I would approach the site owner offline and discuss with him directly. I would not air dirty laundry on a public forum. This probably isn't going to help your cause. Publicly disparaging their product and brand is not going to endear yourself to them.

Keep in mind, that while access is open to everyone, it is a privately owned site. Just like forums (this one included), you don't have an inalienable right to have access. You don't have unfettered free speech. The owner can allow or ban whomever they choose for whatever reason they choose.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I was blocked out at one time but maybe not even on purpose. His attitude when I said his site was not working properly was in a nurtshell "well that's your problem."

I just deleted the rest of my post. Not worth the effort.
Mystic,Ct
Old 03-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
.......... Publicly disparaging their product and brand is not going to endear yourself to them...............
I don't think anyone ever disparaged his product, he just gets into discussions on web forums or facebook and if you push him too far, he punishes you by blocking you. He seems to be one of the "My way or the highway" people.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
I verified that I can logon. If you believe this was done by the site owner, I would approach the site owner offline and discuss with him directly. I would not air dirty laundry on a public forum. This probably isn't going to help your cause. Publicly disparaging their product and brand is not going to endear yourself to them.

Keep in mind, that while access is open to everyone, it is a privately owned site. Just like forums (this one included), you don't have an inalienable right to have access. You don't have unfettered free speech. The owner can allow or ban whomever they choose for whatever reason they choose.
There is one problem with this logic. There are companies that pay him to have his "service" on their devices. There are people that buy those devices because of that service(hence the relationship). I would think that those companies would not be too happy about him using his "service" as a personal vendetta.

I would say I do have "an inalienable right" to access when I buy a product based on that access.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Nope, that one is already taken!
Old 03-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #15

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Quote:

..except that AC exists solely by the data contributed by users. While I haven't contributed much my willingness to continue to do so would be directly impacted IF folks are being banned on the basis suggested. To put it another way, if you're asking me to contribute, I have a right to know how my contribution will be used.

My account works fine at the moment.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:

I have reached out off line.

And I don't think I have said anything disparaging about the site or AC. I have actually been complimentary about it.

I also don't see how sharing my experience is any different from anyone sharing their experience with any other marine business, and is ironically what Active Captain is all about.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #17

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I still have access, even after starting a controversial thread about Active Captain here on Trawler Forum.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Knot Salted
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian 34 LRC
Who needs activecapt?

Thanks for the knowledge. I will not go there.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
OK, so how does AC know who you are? Do you use the same screen name both places?
Old 03-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #20

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Access to information IS the product.

Do the product integration require your personal logon information, or do they ride on a licensing agreement with the 3rd party vendor?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I agree with the policy. I'm just pointing out that regardless of whether he is right or wrong, he has the right to do with his site as he chooses.

Closed Thread