Anyone boat with a cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backinblue

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Moon
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 355
I know dogs are pretty common on a boat, anyone have any experience with cats? We are considering adopting a found stray but wondering if that will seriously hamper our cruising. Online info is inconclusive and just wondering if anyone has any real experience or feedback. Seems like they would be easier and less maintenance than dogs, but not sure how well they adapt to boats. Thanks for your help!

We've boated with our cat for years without any problem. Cats seem to adapt pretty well. The only thing I can think of that could be an issue is motion sickness. It hasn't been a problem for our cat, but I have medicine from the vet with us just in case.

You may want to ping CruisersForum. Cats seem more common with sailors for some reason.

I'm in Mazatlan and berthed two slips down from a couple on a Westsail 32 (sail) with an adult cat who is cute as a button and wanders the dock.

I'm guessing Laura on Muirgen will drop a note - they have three cats aboard. When we were in Turtle Bay (Baja), one of the Ha Ha sailboats adopted a kitten - Slowgoesit volunteered some of their 400 lbs of kitty litter to help them with a good start.

My wife and I lived aboard with two cats. One was prone to seasickness even at the dock. The other was a bit of a wanderer which can be a challenge.

I like cats a lot. Have also had dogs but that didn't work out well on a boat. If we didn't travel so much we'd have pets again. But just decided thst as much as we love the animal company, they impinge on mobility too much for us.

Peter

Our 20+ year old cat "indoor only" doesn't realize she's on a boat. Same as home. Getting her to/from the boat is more of a deal. Her older "sister" (since passed) didn't mind the boat or the car ride to the boat.

-Chris

For international cruisers cats have multiple advantages over dogs. Often dogs are hard to get clearance. Often require a visit to a local vet at additional expense and inconvenience. Often you spend more time and money getting pratique for a dog than you and crew needing to pre arrange the required visits. Cats you simply leave aboard,keep a low profile and bobs your uncle.
Cats do get seasick but word on the street much less frequently than dogs. Many folks put the litter box in the guest shower and along with their bedding kit and just leave them alone in a seaway. Although people train their dogs to defecate on a mat or the swim platform walks and exercise are usually needed to keep their spirits up. Exception is very small dogs. Hence the high frequency of them among boat owners. Cats generally are happy never leaving the boat. But even comparing a small dog to a large cat the dog is more work and inconveniencing. As long as you leave out water and food with a clean litter box you can go off for a few days away from the boat. A dog needs to go with you.
So far see a lot of cats with long distance cruiser families but more small dogs among those who are strictly regional or inland/protected waters. Dogs are great if walks aren’t an issue. Cats can be a better choice if daily availability to land isn't a common occurrence. The first year we had our last sailboat having a lifelong land cat on the boat was a non issue. But people say the younger a cat (or dog) is acclimated to boat life the better.
As Peter says I think for the above reasons cats are more frequent on sail than power. Think sail is more likely to not be regional so more likely to not have suitable land available for walks. Love both dogs and cats but think you will have much fewer concerns with a cat.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Lobke and I've been sailing with us for years!
When we are on an island, I can walk around happily, even at night.
If we are not on an island, I am not always allowed to walk around, but it is usually allowed together with my owner.
Well, daddy still doesn't realize I'm the boss.
The other day we were very far away and I climbed through the window at night, well that was a party for me there, and handsome men in Denmark!
In the morning I mewed daddy out of the bed, he didn't understand anything, stupid boss!
Sick, sometimes I get sick when my house goes up and down but that is rare and only lasts for a short time!
I also sometimes imagine, I get tasty kibble, shhhh!
The other day I was launched off the bookshelf, which was a shock.

Lobke,

6guffG7.jpg

Oh yes, sometimes we are anchored and I run circles around the wheelhouse, what fun!
The other day I flew out of the corner and I ended up in the water.
Then I swam around the boat because there is a swimming ladder at the back, via the stairs I climbed back on board, good huh!
Had to take a shower under the freshwater afterwards, that was less!

7CU3vUE.jpg

Last edited:
You can check out the Cruising Sea Venture videos on Youtube. Their two cats are often featured!

I appreciate everyone's prompt replies. We need to make a decision by tomorrow at the latest.

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
No thank you. No pets aboard for me. I've got a damn cat at the house that has adopted me and I feed her and let her hang around because I'm a nice guy but I've never had a pet that I felt was part of "the family".
The only cat I would consider having in a boat of ours would be a 3126 or 3208. Possibly a 3116.

I think this photo of our dear, late Donatello can give you an idea of how well a cat can adapt on a boat. You may stumble across it elsewhere in this forum.

Donatello was introduced to the boat when he was only about 6 months old. By the time he was one year old, he had learned to use the toilet at home. We never imagined that his toilet skills would be transferable to the boat, but he proved us wrong without any encouragement. We kept about 1kg of litter on board, just in case we needed to pull it out for a long day in rough weather, but we never had to. He had a routine to use the toilet right after eating in the morning and then he was fine until we tied up in the late afternoon/evening..

Attachments

• D.jpg
    D.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 9
I appreciate everyone's prompt replies. We need to make a decision by tomorrow at the latest.

What kind of boat and what are your plans?

Hippo mentiond international. I have a friend who moved to Costa Rica a couple years ago. To bring his dog in, he needed a certificate from a veterinarian no more than 10 days prior to entering. On the other hand, quite a few people in the Baja Ha Ha had dogs and seemed to have no issues entering. I have no idea where you'd find kitty litter or car food in Mexico though in sure there is something.

Gone with the Wynns adopted out their cats prior to sailing to New Zealand. Apparently brining in an animal is very difficult there, perhaps impossible.

That said, nothing brings a smile faster than a cat nuzzling in your lap in the morning.

Please update with whatever you decide. Cute picture. Tough to say no I'm sure......

Peter

Thanks Peter, I'll let you know how it turns out. We cruise locally on the 35' boat in my picture and rarely more than a week at a time, maybe 2 tops, but that would include some marina visits. International is not a concern at the moment.

Thanks Peter, I'll let you know how it turns out. We cruise locally on the 35' boat in my picture and rarely more than a week at a time, maybe 2 tops, but that would include some marina visits. International is not a concern at the moment.

One of the new/improved features of the web-based mobile site is virtually all info about a poster is stripped away - no avatar, no location, no boat information. On a PC it's all visible.

Given you're really just talking about short vacations, I'd have no hesitation in keeping the car and bringing it along. The companionship far outweighs the hassle factor. Only possible unknown is seasickness. The one cat we had that was prone to seasickness just broke my heart to see her sick. She was a really sweet cat and I just hated to see her in distress.

Good luck.

Peter

I have seen lots of contented cats on the dashboards of Class A motorhomes cruising the highways. I would think they are lower maintenance than fluffy.

Attachments

• fluffy.jpeg
    fluffy.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 4
My cat doesn't like sitting on my wife's lap when she is swinging (gently) on the porch. That tells me he wouldn't enjoy being on a boat. However, I really wouldn't want an animal onboard especially if crossing international borders. It's just too restrictive when wandering around.

Although, I have thought about a single goldfish in a round jar hung from the overhead. That would be cool.

Had a friend with a 48 Catamaran. His cat stayed onboard one year for the whole year, never got off and the boat travelled NJ to the Keys/Bahamas and back.

Didn't mind the motion it seemed but to like to sit/wander too close to the edge of the boat much of the time for my friend to relax.

Most of the liveaboards and serious cruisers I knew in FL had cats vs dogs, often multiple cats.

Thanks for everyone's helpful and honest feedback, both pros and cons. We will be taking the cat into our home tomorrow. How and whether it ends up boating with us is still TBD until the season starts again in a few months, but as usual TF has been a helpful resource. Thanks again.

we have a cat (second one) on the boat I work on.... she lives 24/7 on the boat....she has 4 trans Atlantic crossings and many other sea miles up and down the coast...very adaptable animals...and a welcome distraction to day to day routine at sea...Very much a part of the crew and becoming quite the celeb..

We rescued a stray cat last winter. The poor guy found a refuge in our greenhouse during winter. Spent the winter there sleeping on pile of tarp some days at -25C or less. I found him one day while I was grabbing some planting pots to prepare my seeding, he was scared like hell and ran far away. Still came back for sheltering so we feed him. Took few months before being able to just stay near him. With patience the little guy came to know us. Now nearly a year later he is a dog cat. When I work he is sleeping on the couch in my office, when my wife watch TV he is beside her, when we cook he lays down nearby watching us, when we go out on the deck to fire the bbq he needs to be with us.
Today it was time for his first pet visit. No need to say we expected a real adventure, he is ok with us but just to see friends at home and he becomes crazy, just the noise of me drilling something and he hides under the bed.
We took him, put him in a the travel bag, few moaning but nothing more. Put him in the car, no drama. Drive 20 minutes, no drama, got his check up, vaccine etc no drama, went back to home, went to hide for an hour in my workshop in the basement but got out and back for his normal routine.

All that to say that if your cat is good with you, feeling in security and in a place he has what he needs it will be fine.

I never thought I would be able to get him in the car without a sedative, I though he would have put the travel bag in pieces with his claws as sharp as a razor but no, nothing at all.

Just take care of your little guy, be patient and pretty sure there will be no drama.

L

Cats on out boat!

As Peter stated above, we have three cats who have been on our boat from PNW to Alaska, and now down to Mexico.
All of them have traveled extensively with us in a motorhome as well. Biggest issue there is getting Callie TO the motorhome. Bandaids were generally involved after the fact. . . . On the boat, the only issue is that one of our cats, Callie, our "Coal Mine Canary" lets us know when it's time to put the paravanes out, or there will be a mess to clean up!
We finally found an anti nausea med that works great for her, take one day prior to departing, and so far, 3500 miles later, and all is well!
Fraulein is 18 years old, and she takes everything in stride. Aside from a couple of incidents where she went walkabout in marinas, no issues whatsoever.
Cato initially freaked out whenever we first woke the dragon (started the engine), so Laura has gotten to preparing a cave for him to snuggle into, and now he comes out, and wanders around while running.
If you travel to Alaska, beware of eagles, who have been known to snatch unwary cats and small dogs from off the decks. We kept ours inside when traveling in those areas.
We've not had any issues with going into Canada, or Mexico. We had their shot records etc ready, but weren't even asked for them.
On Kitty litter. In Mexico, clumping kitty litter is a little more difficult to come by, so we stocked with a little over a 12 month supply, so around 740lbs when we left. Same with canned cat food . . . . . . As with boat spares, we may have taken it at little to extremes . . . :angel:
We use two covered litter boxes, one forward in the foc'cle, and one in the aft head. Scoop them once a day, and no problems.
Pictures below show how stressed out they can get on the boat!

Attachments

• Callie.jpeg
    Callie.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Deck time.jpeg
    Deck time.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Not on counter.jpeg
    Not on counter.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 9
  • Lounging.jpeg
    Lounging.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 8
Let us know how it goes, Bob. Maybe you will add to the positive chorus here. :)

Well we are definitely adopting the cat, it will arrive at our home soon. Looks very sweet and luckily has been cared for the last couple months by someone who found it abandoned at a gas station but he cannot keep it. He has also taken it to the vet. How well it adapts to the boat is TBD in the spring. If it doesn't work out, finding someone to care for it when we are away shouldn't be too hard. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks.

If you travel to Alaska, beware of eagles, who have been known to snatch unwary cats and small dogs from off the decks. We kept ours inside when traveling in those areas.

Pictures below show how stressed out they can get on the boat!

Very cute.
When I lived on a ranch outside Los Angeles, we were warned to also cover the tops of outdoor kennels because the (ginormous) owls would scoop up little wienerdogs and small pets.

As Peter (MVWeebles) stated and My husband Scot (slowgoesit) shared we have our three cats aboard with us. They all have their unique personalities, but all have embraced the travel life and seem to for the most part be totally okay with the lifestyle.

I think they are easier then a dog in the way that you don't have to take them to shore if the dog isn't deck trained. But with any pet there is some issues with travel that you should consider before getting one. It does make it less convenient to leave your boat. And you do have to be aware of the issues with customs. Like I'm having a hell of a time finding information on the requirements for customs on bringing the cats into Costa Rica. So if you are doing cruising be aware of that.

Then there is the normal things, like where do you put the litter box if you have one or do you toilet train? Can you get the food, litter, medical etc when you are cruising etc?

Overall, I really enjoy having the cats onboard. I don't know if I would adopt one if I was cruising foreign just because of the hassles, but we had them and I wasn't going to rehome them at this point of there life. Plus it really does feel like home to have my cat to cuddle with when life gets stressful.

It does allow me to contain to have a instagram page for one of our cat's as my stress relief and now I can post his travel adventures if I want. https://www.instagram.com/manyfacesofcato/

All it all, there are tons of FB pages for cats on boats and pages and pages on cats on board that will give you all the information and support you need that with your new baby. Good luck with her/him... hope you post pictures if all goes through.

Go for it! I would love to have a pet on board. We had friends that lived on their boat with a cat. Boat didn’t leave the mooring so don’t know about sea sickness. Their cat would actually jump in and swim. Came back on board via a rope left over the stern. Fun to watch. Other friends years ago trained their cat to use the head. No litter box. No clue how they did that.

"Other friends years ago trained their cat to use the head. No litter box. No clue how they did that"

I trained my rabbit to use the toilet. Cat's have got to be smarter than bunnies.

This thread reminds of Tania Aebi's solo sail around the world with her cat Tarzoon. As I recall when she landed in New York Tarzoon took off, but then was miraculously found. (Probably can't blame the cat for wanting some land time after a trip like that.)

Hi, I'm Lobke and I've been sailing with us for years!
When we are on an island, I can walk around happily, even at night.
If we are not on an island, I am not always allowed to walk around, but it is usually allowed together with my owner.
Well, daddy still doesn't realize I'm the boss.
The other day we were very far away and I climbed through the window at night, well that was a party for me there, and handsome men in Denmark!
In the morning I mewed daddy out of the bed, he didn't understand anything, stupid boss!
Sick, sometimes I get sick when my house goes up and down but that is rare and only lasts for a short time!
I also sometimes imagine, I get tasty kibble, shhhh!
The other day I was launched off the bookshelf, which was a shock.

Lobke,

6guffG7.jpg

Oh yes, sometimes we are anchored and I run circles around the wheelhouse, what fun!
The other day I flew out of the corner and I ended up in the water.
Then I swam around the boat because there is a swimming ladder at the back, via the stairs I climbed back on board, good huh!
Had to take a shower under the freshwater afterwards, that was less!

7CU3vUE.jpg

Lobke, you have a great sense of humor!

We have always had a cat aboard...our latest is a Persian/Ragdoll with the Ragdoll part in dominance.

Attachments

• Helm Cat.jpg
    Helm Cat.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2

Just do it. I've cruised with my cat for several years with no issues. He actually likes it.

Back
Top Bottom