Anyone boat with a cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update, one of our cats, Cato, chased three pelicans off the bow yesterday, then two of them spooked him, and I saw him tear across the fore deck and down the companion way . . . something didn't sound right, I went outside, . . . no cat . . . there was a wind blowing and we were streaming on the anchor with the current.

Looked over the side, off the stern, couldn't spot Cato anywhere, then went to the stern, and hear some splashing under the swim step. He had grabbed onto one of the metal supports for the swim step, and was freaking out. I was able to reach under the swim step and grab him.

Wet and wild-eyed! I think he may have gone partially under the boat. . . . . Freaked us out! Could have ended very badly. We will have to modify our behavior with regarding unrestricted "yard time" for the cats . . . .

A sailboat liveaboard friend of mine always left a rug remanent hanging ofver the side for his cats to climb back on board. It worked well.

I guess if in a current, as far down stream on deck as practical may suffice.

A sailboat liveaboard friend of mine always left a rug remanent hanging ofver the side for his cats to climb back on board. It worked well.

I guess if in a current, as far down stream on deck as practical may suffice.

Yep, we're in search of carpet today. Plan is a piece of plywood, maybe 1' x 2' long, covered with carpet and a foam "noodle" on the water end to keep it floating, rather than just straight up/down. Hinge, or tie wrap it to the back of the swim platform . . .

Unless you have really old cats, and I am NOT a cat guy, but I believe I have seen them scramble up trees pretty darn quick.... the vertical carpet my friend had was all that was needed... :)

Good luck (to the cats too) either way.

Unless you have really old cats, and I am NOT a cat guy, but I believe I have seen them scramble up trees pretty darn quick.... the vertical carpet my friend had was all that was needed... :)

Good luck (to the cats too) either way.

Well, although still spry, our oldest cat on board is 18 years old.

The cat is slowly taking over the house. Boat time will begin in the Spring and I'll post some pics and an update, good or bad. I like the toilet trick, but no clue how to train that, although this cat does seem pretty intelligent. Maybe some day.

A little late to this thread but I would not hesitate to take a cat cruising. They are very adaptable and typically prefer being around their people. We cruise with the two. They prefer the dirt home but aren't voting members of the crew so are boat cats as well. One has an iron stomach and the other gets seasick/carsick right away then is over it. We do use the drugs for long passages or when rough conditions are expected and short rations. We truly enjoy their company along the way and they seem to accept the inconvenience begrudgingly but are happy to be with us.

As far as cat boxes go we use the Tidy Cat Breeze system. You can easily carry a years supply of pellets (12 x 3.5lbs) and pads (11 bags of 8). The pads go under the pellet tray and gets changed every 4 days or so. Downside is the pads go in the trash but upside the smell is neutralized so carrying them around isn't really a bother. It is rare that we are away from the trash for more than 2 or 3 weeks. We also use a Litter Genie which is a locker for the solid waste. It will hold several weeks worth of waste odor free. The best aspect of the Tidy Cat Breeze system is that it is truly dustless and doesn't track. A few pellets may get out of the box but simple and easy to pick up.

The one aspect that we have not solved is the long rough passage where the cats are afraid to move around and go to the cat box. We have had a mess or two related to this but only on the roughest of passages where it is extremely difficult to move around the boat. Perhaps puppy pads strategically placed will address this rare occurrence.

Good luck to you and enjoy a cat along the way.

Update, one of our cats, Cato, chased three pelicans off the bow yesterday, then two of them spooked him, and I saw him tear across the fore deck and down the companion way . . . something didn't sound right, I went outside, . . . no cat . . . there was a wind blowing and we were streaming on the anchor with the current.

Looked over the side, off the stern, couldn't spot Cato anywhere, then went to the stern, and hear some splashing under the swim step. He had grabbed onto one of the metal supports for the swim step, and was freaking out. I was able to reach under the swim step and grab him.

Wet and wild-eyed! I think he may have gone partially under the boat. . . . . Freaked us out! Could have ended very badly. We will have to modify our behavior with regarding unrestricted "yard time" for the cats . . . .
Brave cat confronting pelicans!There are float support harnesses with a handle for dogs, has no one designed one for cats? Expect resistance from the cat but isn`t there scope for a cat specific redesign?

Wow! That was a stroke of good fortune to discover Cato soon enough!!

We have read about carpet/burlap/netting over the side and have such to put over. But...

A corresponding part to this strategy is to train your cat to know where it is and how to use it. This is where we struggle. The book we read this in insisted that it is necessary to THROW your cat overboard and guide him to where he can climb up. We could not do this. We thought that maybe we will have a visitor do this, so the cat won't associate the unspeakable act with us. Still, we have not been able to bring ourselves to go through with it.

A corresponding part to this strategy is to train your cat to know where it is and how to use it. This is where we struggle. The book we read this in insisted that it is necessary to THROW your cat overboard and guide him to where he can climb up. We could not do this. We thought that maybe we will have a visitor do this, so the cat won't associate the unspeakable act with us. Still, we have not been able to bring ourselves to go through with it.
TF had a member, long gone(perhaps not by choice),"Semi Planing" I think. He related how without warning he threw his young daughter overboard at speed to teach her safety onboard.:nonono: Unsure if a PFD involved. Many TFers suggested alternative teaching methods.

A land based condo owner had a cat who spent most of the day on my boat.

A land based condo owner had a cat who spent most of the day on my boat.
I have not been so active in TF lately and therefore just noticed your signature, OldDan. So sorry to learn of your health challenges! Best wishes for a speedy recovery and healthy new year!

Yes, I have twin Cats. Their names are 3208P and 3208S. Sorry, couldn't resist. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Travels with 3 cats

We have a Grand Banks 42 with 3 cats not including the engines. Good to have kitty nausea meds from vet for travel days, but otherwise they are pretty good aboard. We have a litter box in the forward stateroom and order Chewy delivery when we need supplies. When we go to marinas they do like to hop off, so keeping watch is necessary.

I know dogs are pretty common on a boat, anyone have any experience with cats?

We boated extensively (45K miles over 20 some years) with two cats onboard. They readily adapt. Regular feeding schedules, never have to take them ashore so you can anchor out wherever it suits you without regard to beach access or weather, good companions. Only concern was them jumping ship when we were in a marina (less than 50% of the time). I made some folding screens which fastened to the door frames with velcro which kept the cats inside and the mosquitos and other bugs outside when we wanted the doors open for ventilation! Rough passages didn't seem to bother them, but one time returning from the Dry Tortugas we ran into some really rough seas for 4-5 hours with blue water over the bow and both cats sprawled out on the deck in the aft cabin (the calmest place on the boat) until it was over.

Forgot to mention: kept a covered liter box in the forward head with a rubber pad underneath; moved it to our aft cabin under the stairs to the aft deck when we had guests aboard. Kept their food and water in the forward stateroom.

Last edited:
We have 2 Jack Russell "Terrors" and 2 indoor cats. We've spent 1 to 2 weeks out on our boat with all, some and none aboard. The dogs are pretty good about doing "their business" on the swim step. The cats share one covered litter box in the "guest" head. Since my cat decided to run from dogs, they are now prey and MUST be kept separated. When these dogs get their Jaws on prey, the DON'T let go. So now it's either both dogs and cats stay home with daily checks by our nice, and dogs come with. Or dogs go into a very high end kennel at $80 per day and cats come with. Our solution: 2-3 days dogs come. Longer cruises, cats. Cats are much lower maintenance. Just be sure to duct tape over floor drain. Clumping litter could easily accumulate and clog. Also the advice about eagles is spot on. We lost a cat from our foredeck one night at anchor fr9m an eagle. Later heard many similar stories, even small dogs being snatched. ??????

Our ships cat got off the tug when we were tied up at the cruise piers in Manhattan... Non of us realized it.... Company sent us to Philadelphia..We didn;t realize cat wasn't aboard until we were halfway down the New Jersey Coast...We put out the word on our company vessels that were still working up in Manhattan.... A week later, she jumped from pier to one of our crew boats.. Capt called me and she got back with us... Crew says she just wanted a party week in Manhattan....

I have not been so active in TF lately and therefore just noticed your signature, OldDan. So sorry to learn of your health challenges! Best wishes for a speedy recovery and healthy new year!

Now up to8 heart attacks and one ‘heart arrest’
Thank you for your good wishes.

Oh ya! We gotta cat! We were up at the head of Seymour inlet with a tide to make 5 hours away at Nakwakto Rapids. “Where’s the cat!” Nowhere to be found. Checked all over the boat! Cupboards. Hanging lockers! Everywhere! We lower the skiff. Drive around the shore in the pouring rain. An hour later we find the cat way way back in the galley cupboard under the sink!

:banghead:

She actually enjoys the boat…except when it is CVR—“Cat Vomit Rolly”

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_6388.jpg
    IMG_6388.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
One of the boats competing in the Sydney-Hobart yacht(sailboat)race starting today has a cat named Oli onboard for the race. Owner says he rarely if ever gets seasick and finds a good spot to curl up during bad weather.
Speaking of weather, Australia`s east coast has been beset with thunderstorms and heavy rain outbreaks. There has been some massive hail storms with tennis ball size ice, the system is said to be moving south and offshore, likely to affect the 100+ fleet competing this year. Let`s hope Puss copes ok.
Here`s a news article about Oli. As you`ll see, the boat is in the 2 handed division and unlikely to trouble the competitive boats:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11...ams-on-sylph-vi-in-sydney-to-hobart/103141204

Last edited:
[SNIP]

As you`ll see, the boat is in the 2 handed division and unlikely to trouble the competitive boats:

Do they count the number of paws as well as the hands? :thumb:

There is a boat starting in the Sydney to Hobart yacht race today with a cat on board.
It has sailed Sydney to New Zealand & back before without problem

We’ve got two cats aboard and have no problems. In my opinion, much easier to take care than a dog. They don’t need walks, and use a litter box which is easy to manage. They do fine on the deck and love being outside when possible. They are restricted to being inside or on the fly bridge when under way.

All the old sailing ships from around Great Britain used to have a 'ships cat' onboard, initially they were to to keep down any mice and rats. They were all loved by the ships crew and some became quite famous.
I love cats as they are much less trouble on board than dogs. They make great pets if you bring them onboard when they are very young and train them. The only problem is that they are inclined to wander if you are in a marina so I would highly recommend only females, and getting them speyed at the vets as early as possible. They can be trained to walk on a lead quite easily and make great companions.
p.s In the UK there is a tax free agricultural diesel which has a red dye called quintinrazahole added to it. There is a technique using cat litter to remove this dye.
Me,,avoid paying tax that politicians waste,,,never !

Last edited:
Here`s more info on Oli the cat in the Sydney Hobart Yacht race:
Last check the boat was still "racing" but at the "tail" of the fleet.
About 51 seconds separating them after nearly 2 days of racing, a lucky lift towards the finish line saw Law Connect (which even the owner describes as a "shitbox") cross ahead of Andoo Comanche.
My ex next door neighbour, a skilled sailor/navigator, (his ex wife still lives next door and they remain on friendly terms) completed an amazing 50th continuous Sydney Hobart.
Always an interesting race to follow.
Here`s a pic of the Handicap winner. Looks like fun?
a408b802f26505bf3233631573470bcc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom