Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2016, 06:53 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hampton Va Back River
If the raw water pump is the same as my raw water pump 6500 watt MCCK onan, then yes the water pump seal is available direct fit from U. S. Seal MFG. # PS-163.

This will have a SS instead of brass cup base. It will not have the large flat ceramic washer, just reuse your OEM ceramic washer. Oberdorfer pumps use the same flat ceramic washer in their pumps, so you could get one anyway. It looks like a fender washer with a 5/8 inch center hole which has a rubber grommet on it's back to seal to the pump shaft.

Price I paid was under $10 for the seal.

For example
http://www.hottubwarehouse.com/us-se...fqPxoC-irw_wcB

shows the seal with the washer, #32154.
http://www.oberdorferpumps.com/pumps...gal-pumps/60p/

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
I was concerned because my gauge was pegging, however it only goes to 60 and backs off a bit when the engine warms up so I think my operating oil pressure is probably 55 - 58.
My MDJE manual lists minimum oil pressure at #20 on page 13 under Starting. But same here, pressure is like 50 lbs at start, drops down to 35 after running for a few minutes. It's been that way since the boat was new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan MDJE.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	57153  

Old 10-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Just to be sure I understand correctly, when you run the gen set

1) the oil level in the crank case goes down faster than normal consumption

2) Oil appears and accumulates in the drip pan

3) Water (or perhaps coolant) also appears and accumulates in the drip pan

4) You have observed the engine vibration turning the mix into a mike shake.

With that you have already gone a long way to diagnosing the problem.

Have you checked to see if your coolant level is dropping? Any way to figure out if the "water" is sea water, coolant, or something else?

It seems you just need to figure out where the fluids are leaking from. I know, easier said than done, but it's definitely easier than randomly replacing parts.

I've found that the heavy duty blue paper shop towels that you can buy in any hardware or automotive store are great for tracking down leaks. Whatever fluid hits them leaves a very evident stain because of the towels blue color. Stuff a bunch of them in strategic places in and around the engine, you you will pretty quickly narrow down where the leaks are coming from. I've even taped or zip tied them around things that I thought might be leaking. I had one stuffed into a corner by my coolant pump weep hole to nail down a leak that I had.

Find the leaks, then figure out how to fix it. The raw water pump sounds like a strong candidate based on what people here are saying about this particular unit, so be sure to dress that well with towels. I'm not familiar with that gen set so can't offer specific advice.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Ft pierce
Vessel Name: Resolute
Vessel Model: 2000 47' Selene
I had that gen. But a Honda portable if u have to. The Onan is prehistoric.
jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs1958 View Post
I had that gen. But a Honda portable if u have to. The Onan is prehistoric.
My 6.5 MCCK with water lift muffler is quiet. Just makes a whirring sound. 1800 rpm, sure it is from 1970 also. It is FWC and so then has survived. It also has control-o-matic, it autostarts on demand, which seems like a worthwhile idea to save fuel.

I installed a wire to bypass the DC charger converter from wanting to always run the gen, basically put the wire to the charger before the sense circuit..
Old 10-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #26
FOG

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
My MDJE manual lists minimum oil pressure at #20 on page 13 under Starting. But same here, pressure is like 50 lbs at start, drops down to 35 after running for a few minutes. It's been that way since the boat was new.
Thanks. Found it on page 15 of my manual. Says the same thing.
BTW the pressure in mine is 45 lbs at start up, then drops down to 30 once warmed up. Maybe a few more hours or lower viscosity oil.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #27
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
The 6.5 MCCK gasser is a very social machine. Not real accurate governor or regulator, but very quiet and smooth. Much like BMW opposed twin bikes.

MDJ diesel twin is a rock crusher. Oil pressure if anything over 20psi hot should be fine. If bottom end does not send chunks across engine room, oil pressure is good enough. And noise level won't be much different.

Just kidding, a little bit.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
The 6.5 MCCK gasser is a very social machine. Not real accurate governor or regulator, but very quiet and smooth. Much like BMW opposed twin bikes.

MDJ diesel twin is a rock crusher. Oil pressure if anything over 20psi hot should be fine. If bottom end does not send chunks across engine room, oil pressure is good enough. And noise level won't be much different.

Just kidding, a little bit.
Mine burns 1/3 gallon per hour while running the heat pump-AC, charger-converter and fridge.

There is a vaccuum boost along with governor spring to kelp maintain cycles close to 60.
Under heavy loads, the volts will drop but I compensate by having it set about 123 to 125 with no loads. I also have 8 gauge wire, likely should be 6 gauge wire to the distribution panel, but this was installed with that wire many decades ago and it just works fine anyway.