Anybody got any creative methods of mounting a BBQ grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ka_sea_ta

Guru
I just use a folding table in the cockpit to set the grill on whenever we use it. This means that when ever we are underway the grill and table have to be stored, there has to be a better way. Somebody most have devised a better method.

This means that when ever we are underway the grill and table have to be stored, there has to be a better way. Somebody most have devised a better method.
We never remove this.

Attachments

• Barbeque.jpg
    Barbeque.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 220
I haven't seen anyone with my cockpit table design (perhaps for good reason?)

I got tired of the folding cockpit table, and didn't want a permanent base mount in my small cockpit.

Last month I was playing with my emergency tiller which consists of a stainless steel vertical rudder shaft extension and a slightly tapered 2"x3" box section to slip the tiller into. I realised the rudder shaft extension was table height so I just added a mounting block onto a wooden table so it is now interchangeable with the tiller.

One negative - it rotates with the rudder.
On the plus side - it is very solid, and it also acts as my rudder indicator.

We never remove this.

We have used an almost identical mount (fabricated from 1" stainless rail tubing) for 12 years. Grill is only removed when we refinish the cap rail.

We mount our grill in the built-in rod-holders using Magma's grill hardware for that, but the same mechanism will work in most clamp-on rod-holders.

FWIW, I also attached Magma's adjustable table support hardware -- designed for use with a rod-holder and their bait cleaning or utility tables -- to the bottom of a teak tray... so now we have a folding teak table, a teak tray, and a second teak tray that mounts in a rod-holder... all "matching" (sorta kinda) and we can move all of that around the boat as necessary.

-Chris

We also have the Magma's grill on a rod holder, very sturdy and stay's put, only down side is it can get salty. On long ocean passages we put it away.

Now I'm not advocating Magma, I personally think the quality is acceptable, but not great by no means.

same thing only different

We never remove this.

I have same grill and mount, but use a 5 pound gas bottle instead of the little camping bottles.

Gordon

We have ours mounted to the rail as is common, but a good friend uses a small Weber Q that he keeps on a filet table. The table is on a pedistal that is mounted to the boat (swim platform, actually). He uses bungee cords on the grill handles that are attached to the table. He never takes it down, even when underway at much faster speeds than us (he has a large planning flybridge boat).

The grill that we use is a TEC Cherokee. We have used this for about ten years, it's a little larger than a Magma so I didn't want to try to adapt it to Magna mounts and really would like to get the grill out over the swim platform. Thanks everyone for their suggestions

We keep a full size household Weber grill strapped down on the back deck. It's not pretty but it sure beats our finicky Magma mounted on the rail next to it. I'd like to take apart the Weber and mount the kettle part off the railing, sort of like the photo below but closer in and with aluminum, and have another mount for the propane bottle, also mounted off the railing to free up deck space.

Keep us updated on what you come up with!

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/powercat_player/20100829_1123.jpg

I'd love to figure out a way to mount a medium Big Green Egg off my boat!
Maybe some sort of gimbal mount?

I'd love to figure out a way to mount a medium Big Green Egg off my boat!
Maybe some sort of gimbal mount?

Go to a local stainless steel welding/fabrication shop and bring your egg, sketch pad with existing dimensions and pictures with you. Should be less expensive than a new magma grill and far more user friendly.

Get a downrigger mount from ebay mount a piece of starboard on it and then strap a table top grill on it. You basically make your own bait cutting table and strap the grill to it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom