Old 02-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
I would use and marine title company to handle the transaction and title. That is what, most bank and broketd do, and the buyer should not object letting a third party hand it.
Which brings my thought back to using a broker as well.

And the method Clynn describes for the cashier's check is how I was suggesting to handle that.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
100 percent scam. Not even 1 percent doubt.
You want to believe its not a scam and they use that to rip you off.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #23
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
I would use and marine title company to handle the transaction and title. That is what, most bank and brokers do, and the buyer should not object letting a third party hand it.
That's a possibility. Some of the sites I've checked have 'buying and selling kits' that include purchase agreements, bills of sale, and the red tape associated with transfer of ownership. That could be useful, too. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
100 percent scam. Not even 1 percent doubt.
You want to believe its not a scam and they use that to rip you off.
Agreed. I'm really not sure how someone like this can sleep at night.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #24
Guru

I thought it was a given that the contact was a scam so didn't address that.

How do they sleep at night? Who knows how some human minds work.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Dave, how about listing it here on the TF Classifieds. It doesn't cost anything. Maybe you'll find someone you have a little info about...maybe even had prior conversations with. Not a guarantee that they won't scam you, but I have found all dealings here on TF to be on the up and up.

Best of luck in your sale. Upgrading, downgrading or getting out of boating?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
That's a possibility. Some of the sites I've checked have 'buying and selling kits' that include purchase agreements, bills of sale, and the red tape associated with transfer of ownership. That could be useful, too. Thanks..... I'm really not sure how someone like this can sleep at night.
I suspect they sleep very well, on other people`s money.
Something in the contract that payment comes by what we call a "Bank Cheque"(maybe the same as your "cashier`s check)", and goods not delivered until deposited funds available from your Bank to be withdrawn, by you, may help,by sending them running.
Despite that, scammers will always find ways to scam, just stay well clear of them.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #27
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Shaleen
Vessel Model: 41 Sundeck
Two boat purchased both through a broker. They both wanted a wire transfer of funds, PERIOD. If your buyer can't do this, something is wrong. Paypal is a joke when it comes to this kind of transaction as are cashiers checks or personnel checks. Cash will work, if you want to sit and count it.

I have taken in large amounts of cash on items I have sold on Craigslist with no problems. I have also purchased items like vehicles on CL. I made sure I had a VIN number to check firsts and verified it on the vehicle before the seller got the money. It is prudent to do so. Depositing over 10K in cash will make the bank do some extra paperwork. But if nothing is wrong, there is no issue for this to happen. The times I have done it, they asked where the money came from. I said the sale of a car (or pickup). The filled out the form and took the money to a machine to count.

I wouldn't purchase a boat with the kinds of funds involved without either a broker involved or a marine title company if a broker was not involved. Not to say it is foolproof, but it greatly reduces the issues that arise with ownership of the boat that is being sold.
S41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Dave, how about listing it here on the TF Classifieds. It doesn't cost anything. Maybe you'll find someone you have a little info about...maybe even had prior conversations with. Not a guarantee that they won't scam you, but I have found all dealings here on TF to be on the up and up.

Best of luck in your sale. Upgrading, downgrading or getting out of boating?
Hey, there's an idea. I forgot about the classified section on here. I never spent much time in that part of the site, I guess. I doubt many people on here would be interested in a craft like mine, but what the hay, why not.

I'm getting out of the game for a few years. If all goes well, I'll be starting a new career as a Seaway Pilot soon. There's an apprenticeship period that may last a year or two, and the pay is a lot less than what I have been making, so I'll need to tighten the ol' belt for a while. Eventually, if I'm lucky, I might be able to get something a little more in tune with the ethos of this site.

Cautiously optimistic is the phrase. Fingers crossed!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #29
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"Wire transfers can be reversed within 24 hrs and can also be faked.
Please, please see you own bank and clearly get confirmed that the funds are now yours completely and un-reversible before releasing your property."

I had my bank hold the wire transfer until they could get confirmation from the sending bank that it was legit. When, after trying to get confirmation for several days without success, I informed the buyer that there was no point in continuing.
That was with the buyer using a well known bank, Wells Fargo.
I never heard any more from the buyer. Nor did my bank hear anything more from his bank.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Cash baby... CASH!! For the relatively low amount of full price you are asking. If they want you to sign a check.... go to their bank with them (before you release the boat to them) and sign it in front of the teller - that gives you cash!

Be very careful who you deal with; for-sale boats sometimes get stolen. If they want a ride then tell them that cost $50... deductible off the final agreed price if they purchase. If no purchase, no refund. That makes sure the BS Lookie-Lous just trying to wrangle a "Free" fun boat ride and waste your time are immediately weeded out.

Or: You could have them sign a bonafide sale contract with deductible down payment of $500 and then take them for a "free" ride. If sale does not happen then (written in the contract) 90% if the down payment will be refunded - - > That method creates full intent of the buyer and you still get $50 for the ride if sale falls through!

Happy Private-Boat Sale! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I have delivered boats for buyers wo have bought over the internet and have never seen the boat...they do exist and are legit...so don't rule out the possibility if you can stand jumping the doubt hoops.

Why is Paypal a joke?

It is basically a 3rd party money handler...good enough that major retail chains are accepting the concept.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Why is Paypal a joke?

It is basically a 3rd party money handler...good enough that major retail chains are accepting the concept.
Paypal isn't a joke, but the possibility of getting a transaction reversed is too great for me to take a chance on using them for a major transaction.

I find Ebay and Paypal have fairly good buyer's protection programs. However, the seller's protection isn't there at the same level.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Often times, the scammer is not going for the big kill nor are they really interested in actually taking delivery of what it is that you are selling. They will send a fraudulent check for more than what you are asking (either the total price or a deposit) with some reason as to why they are sending too much. The reason can either be to cover cost of shipping, pay their broker's commission or something other. The scammer then will request you immediately send off the excess to a third party (his broker, shipping company or whatever). This, before the scammer's check is found to be fraudulent. The scammer is actually the third party.

I have seen this attempted with boats and aircraft.
OkSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkSkipper View Post
Often times, the scammer is not going for the big kill nor are they really interested in actually taking delivery of what it is that you are selling. They will send a fraudulent check for more than what you are asking (either the total price or a deposit) with some reason as to why they are sending too much. The reason can either be to cover cost of shipping, pay their broker's commission or something other. The scammer then will request you immediately send off the excess to a third party (his broker, shipping company or whatever). This, before the scammer's check is found to be fraudulent. The scammer is actually the third party.

I have seen this attempted with boats and aircraft.
That is a very common one. They do that on apartments and home rentals as well. They're so nice, willing to pay the entire year up front. So it's $12k and they send a payment of $13k. Just send us $1k back.

Keep your scam alarm on at all times. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If it seems not to make sense, it doesn't. If your instinct tells you not to trust it, don't.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:18 PM   #35
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I thought it was a given that the contact was a scam so didn't address that.

How do they sleep at night? Who knows how some human minds work.
Ask Bernie Madoff! Bet cha he slept real well all the decades he ripped of over a thousand people of billions of dollars in his "false-stock" Ponzi Scheme. I'll even bet he sleeps OK in prison... pissed off... but well slept!
Old 02-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #36
Guru

Nigerian Prince responded, and urged me to sign up for paypal. He's hoping I will be reasonable and work with him. He says he's in Austin, TX, and is 'out of reach.' He says he can't access his bank account online, only paypal.

Seriously, dude? Austin is 'out of reach?' How are you emailing me?? How is it even conceivable that you would have access to email and paypal, but not your bank?? What is this, 1990? Is your sister on the phone, so you can't use dialup? Gimme a break.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Nigerian Prince responded, and urged me to sign up for paypal. He's hoping I will be reasonable and work with him. He says he's in Austin, TX, and is 'out of reach.' He says he can't access his bank account online, only paypal.

Seriously, dude? Austin is 'out of reach?' How are you emailing me?? How is it even conceivable that you would have access to email and paypal, but not your bank?? What is this, 1990? Is your sister on the phone, so you can't use dialup? Gimme a break.
Ok, why did you communicate further with him. You should have sent him to spam. Every second you spend playing with this guy puts you at risk. If he'll try to scam you, do you think it's beyond him to hack into your email or to use any glimpse of information you give him in some way. He may be selling your boat next week, even without owning it.

Do not communicate further with scammers. It's like telemarketers, every minute you talk you increase the risk of being taken advantage of. What you consider the least piece of information, professional scammers can take advantage of you.

Next email he sends you an attachment. You open it. You just gave him access to every contact in your email.

I'm being very serious in warning you or others. You may think you're giving them no information but you're an amateur in their game and they are pros.

Block them. Cut off all communication. Run, don't walk.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #38
Guru

Already done. I responded to his last email saying I didn't want to do paypal, and that'll be the last time he hears from me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SJB.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	49045  
Old 02-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #39
Art
Guru

Quote:

Ask him to mail you two $100 American bills. Tell him that will be considered a deductible down payment and that his cash deposit will give you assurance he is genuine. Tell him that thereafter you guys can do business. Tell him not until you receive the $200 down payment is there any need to further discuss. If he's a stupid scammer... maybe you will get lucky and be paid $200 for your efforts he kept using the time of. Chances are he will stop contact once you require $200 dp.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #40
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:

LOL...Hysterical..