Any suggestions for insurance for wooden boats....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
covered in fiberglass living in Hurricane riddled Northern GOM?
I've called several insurance providers for Port Risk insurance while I rebuild my boat and no one wants to cover The Rose>>>>>> Any help would be appreciated.

I'd send a private message to Peter (PauHana) and get the straight poop from him as I believe he's a marine insurance underwriter.

I have a Markel policy through Peter. 1972 wooden GB.

covered in fiberglass living in Hurricane riddled Northern GOM?
I've called several insurance providers for Port Risk insurance while I rebuild my boat and no one wants to cover The Rose>>>>>> Any help would be appreciated.

Questions-

1) Is the boat cold molded?

2) Is the construction methodology (fiberglass over wood) original to the vessel or was the fiberglass added later by a party other than the manufacturer?

2) Who is the manufacturer of the vessel?

Questions-

1) Is the boat cold molded?

2) Is the construction methodology (fiberglass over wood) original to the vessel or was the fiberglass added later by a party other than the manufacturer?

2) Who is the manufacturer of the vessel?
Good Morning,
Originally the boat was cypress plank, it was built in 1953 at the Cavasovich boat yard here in Biloxi Ms. The boat was c-flexed in the 70's also in biloxi at Kramer Marine. Thanks Paul

Hi, Paul- none of the domestic markets I know of will offer coverage for a vessel that has had 'glass refit over an existing wood hull.

Some domestic markets may consider offering coverage if there is detailed documentation that the vessel has undergone significant structural refit, including extended time on the hard so the vessel planking and structure has the opportunity to completely dry prior to application of the 'glass.

That sounds like I'm up the creek without a paddle

Lloyds should have coverage options for you.

Ask around the shrimp boat fleet you have in the area. Many of their hulls are going to be woodies, some c-flexed. I suspect you will find the majority of those running around without insurance, or maybe just liability.

hagerty will likely bind coverage

Nah, I have a woody built in 1955 by Blanchard for the US Navy, it is also covered by Markel, so all is not lost

In Aust. we add to that "in a barbed wire canoe".
Sounds like you have some chances of cover after all. Something is better than nothing, especially for liability.

Roger that,

In Aust. we add to that "in a barbed wire canoe".
Sounds like you have some chances of cover after all. Something is better than nothing, especially for liability.

Well, where I grew up the creek was named....it was up s... creek without a paddle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom