Old 12-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Don't forget to check property tax, if any, where you intend to buy. A friend who owns adjoining property got a surprise 3 years ago after another neighbor built his waterfront house. By accident his house now had a peekaboo "water view" as a result of clearing trees to build the neighbors water front house. It was not lost on the county when they raised my friends property taxes to account for his newfound view.

I helped him plant some trees that he hopes will someday drop his taxes.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #22
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Again, what is crazy money?

Do some comparison of what your house is going to sell for versus what it will take to buy in other waterfront areas.

For example if you are getting two million for your property then pretty much all of NE Florida opens up to you, even for ~1 million there are spots here. Look at Amelia Island, and Matanzas, and Palm Coast where Donna lives.

That will give you direct access to the Atlantic, though Palm Coast will not.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #23
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Don't forget to check property tax, if any, where you intend to buy. A friend who owns adjoining property got a surprise 3 years ago after another neighbor built his waterfront house. By accident his house now had a peekaboo "water view" as a result of clearing trees to build the neighbors water front house. It was not lost on the county when they raised my friends property taxes to account for his newfound view.

I helped him plant some trees that he hopes will someday drop his taxes.
Fortunately, in FL, we have something called "Save Our Homes" that will prevent that. It really should have been called "Save Us from the Guvmutt Vultures" but of course, I am very much biased.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #24
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
This lot just showed up on Craigslist if you are willing to build:

http://staugustine.craigslist.org/boa/5935413838.html

Actually, it looks a little scary!

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Wow. Is Kenny Rogers included in the sale?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #26
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
You say "Florida or the South".... Nobody has recommended anything outside of Florida. You can own a friggin Mansion here on the water for a million. Obviously, it does not sound like you need a mansion. You can find decent waterfront for $500k and if you shop hard, even less. While we are nowhere near the gulf(25miles), there is Gulf access and plenty of bays and estuaries in between. I am talking Clear Lake area Texas. What keeps the prices down???...probably the not so clear water(ironically Clear Lake is neither clear nor a lake). If you are looking for a really cool small town fishing village vibe(with clear water), try Port Aransas Texas....but it will cost you a bit more. Smaller and probably less expensive with the same quality water...look at Port O'conner Texas. And then there is always South Padre Island Texas which is fairly developed. Port A is less developed...and Port O is even less developed and isolated. I think Port A is a good mix between the bunch. Port O is pure fishing(and associated rednecks...not ragging...I are one) and not much else. I think Cardude is from that area. I think he is a redneck too...hahahaha!!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There are certainly other areas of the south. The advantage of South Florida over South Texas is climate, less heat. Further north in FL the temperatures rise as well.

One area of south Florida that is worthy of mentioning too is the keys and specifically the areas of Islamorada, Key Largo, and Marathon where there are many reasonable homes available on the water. I went with family yesterday as they were looking at hotels in those areas and saw quite a few that we pulled up online and were surprised at.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #28

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
I vote the Florida panhandle. We bought a completely renovated 5/3 on a bayou in Pensacola for $80 a Sq ft. We are 15 minutes from the pass (in the center console, not the trawler).
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote