Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Cocoa
Vessel Name: White Rose
Vessel Model: 1988 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
Any Marine Trader Owners near JAX Ortega River?

Greetings all,

My wife and noted a listing for a Marine Trader 40 Sundeck in Jacksonville which is moored at Ortega Landing. Before we fly from Canada to take a look we wanted the broker to take a walk through video, but she says she is 4 hours away and that's too far. I will defer comments on the broker to another thread, but for now will ask for members assistance. Can anyone recommend a surveyor knowledgable on the issues common to mid-80's Marine Traders in the area? We do not want a survey at this point, just someone who will perform a walkthrough a make a video for us. Based on the outcome of that we will then decide on coming down for an inspection. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
The Cobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobber View Post
Greetings all,

My wife and noted a listing for a Marine Trader 40 Sundeck in Jacksonville which is moored at Ortega Landing. Before we fly from Canada to take a look we wanted the broker to take a walk through video, but she says she is 4 hours away and that's too far. I will defer comments on the broker to another thread, but for now will ask for members assistance. Can anyone recommend a surveyor knowledgable on the issues common to mid-80's Marine Traders in the area? We do not want a survey at this point, just someone who will perform a walkthrough a make a video for us. Based on the outcome of that we will then decide on coming down for an inspection. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
This is the selling broker or your buying broker? If the selling broker, that's bad.
One option would be to locate the marina dock-master or manager and ask him the same and pay him a few bucks for his time if he does not just agree to do it for free, anyway.

Key questions on MTs are to check all sliding windows if they have been replaced or are leaking. I just replaced some wood in mine for that reason, will need to do a whole window replacement in time. Look the engine over hard and the fuel system. What is the age of each major (costly) component. Are you comfortable with doing your own maintenance, or will you pay someone? Check the bilge for water lines.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Greetings all,

My wife and noted a listing for a Marine Trader 40 Sundeck in Jacksonville which is moored at Ortega Landing. Before we fly from Canada to take a look we wanted the broker to take a walk through video, but she says she is 4 hours away and that's too far.
St. Augustine is a wonderful town with great B&Bs and for the cost of the flight, I would look at ten boats at least. You might want to compare good ones and bad ones to evaluate cost versus condition and features so you can get a feel for the market. What's a 90k boat in Toronto might not be a 90k boat in Jacksonville.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
There is a member here that is a broker in Jacksonville. Mike, from Paradise Yachts Sales. He has an extensive blog and online presence. He is an extreme expert on older trawlers. I am sure he would go by and take a look at this boat for you. But TBH, he probably already knows about it and has seen or shown it.

Paradise Yachts, Used Trawlers for Sale, Trawler for Sale, Used Motor Yachts for Sale, Used Cruisers for Sale, and Used Houseboats for Sale, Used Boats, Used Yachts ,Yachts, Used Yacht Broker
Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post

This is the selling broker or your buying broker? If the selling broker, that's bad.
One option would be to locate the marina dock-master or manager and ask him the same and pay him a few bucks for his time if he does not just agree to do it for free, anyway.

Key questions on MTs are to check all sliding windows if they have been replaced or are leaking. I just replaced some wood in mine for that reason, will need to do a whole window replacement in time. Look the engine over hard and the fuel system. What is the age of each major (costly) component. Are you comfortable with doing your own maintenance, or will you pay someone? Check the bilge for water lines.

Good luck!
Ben, believe it or not this is the selling broker. To her credit she's willing to come out for a showing, but not for a video. Like I said, another thread....

From what info the broker has provided, the salon windows were replaced 2010 and helm windows were re-bedded then also. She admitted that there were water stains around the aft ports which is no surprise. I'm not overly concerned about maintenance on mechanical and fluid systems (as a previous boat and aircraft owner, and being retired from 20 years on submarines, fuel, water and hydraulic systems are familiar). I am however concerned about why the PO's have covered the teak bulkheads with what appears to be laminate. Is there wood rot hiding behind there? None of the posted photos show the foredeck, so I don't know if there is teak...if so, I know to be concerned about soft spots and possible water wicking deep into the Huss and stringers. All of this is why I'd like a video taken with lots of close ups. Soft spots in decks won't show up, but evidence of the signs of water damage and rot should be.

FYI I followed Tom's advice and reached out to Mike.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Is this the one with the new American Diesel?
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #7

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Quote:
Greetings all,

Do you know the name of the boat, we may have been one of the previous owners. It was a 1986 Bestway sun deck, 40 Labelle by Marine Trader. It was a GREAT boat. The owners who purchased it took it to Jacksonville and its been there since.
Hope I can help
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I would gladly do it for you. I only live about 10 miles from there. The bad part is my wife has been out of town for work and I only have tomorrow to see her before I have to go back on the tug (Wednesday) for a month. Having said that, If you send the name of the boat, I may be able to get over there on Tuesday sometime for an exterior inspection only. I don't want to commit for a Brokers appointment and miss it. My last day is usually hectic. If you still need it when I get back, I would be happy to do it.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
Is this the one with the new American Diesel?
Yes Windmill, advertised with 250 hours on a single ADC 139 HP.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntervaleII View Post

Do you know the name of the boat, we may have been one of the previous owners. It was a 1986 Bestway sun deck, 40 Labelle by Marine Trader. It was a GREAT boat. The owners who purchased it took it to Jacksonville and its been there since.
Hope I can help
No, this is not a Labelle, it is an 1984 MT40 Sundeck. I am hesitant to mention the name, but was hoping someone on the forum might be acquainted with the vessel just based on location and model. BTW, we have seen some Labelle's and it is a very nice design...our interest in the Sundeck was that this will be a Looper boat for a trip we are planning for 2014, so the single engine was of interest to us.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #11

City: Tokyo, Japan / Tampa, Florida / Washington, Virginia
Vessel Name: Mondai Nai
Vessel Model: Nordhaven 55 - 45
Quote:

No, this is not a Labelle, it is an 1984 MT40 Sundeck. I am hesitant to mention the name, but was hoping someone on the forum might be acquainted with the vessel just based on location and model. BTW, we have seen some Labelle's and it is a very nice design...our interest in the Sundeck was that this will be a Looper boat for a trip we are planning for 2014, so the single engine was of interest to us.
My Labelle had twin engine,however I had about a 450 mile range. We really liked it and the only reason we sold it is because we wanted to upgrade to a long rang blue water boat for Bahamas and Caribbean cruising.
Good luck
IntervaleII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Yes Windmill, advertised with 250 hours on a single ADC 139 HP.

Send me a PM with your email or phone number. I looked at this boat back in December. I can tell you all about it.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
From info provided, this looks like the boat:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs

Looks as good or better than many others I have seen in photos, but you never know til you're up close and personal.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
From info provided, this looks like the boat:

Looks as good or better than many others I have seen in photos, but you never know til you're up close and personal.
Yea... But there are some red flags there too. The price is the first one, the complete disregard of staging for photos is another. I won't go further because we don't know if this is the actual boat OR is it belongs to a TF member. I think if it's a Marine Trader LaBelle in Jacksonville, FL, Mike at Paradise Yachts (since he owns that exact model) will probably know about it, have shown it to another client, or may even have listed it at one point.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Guru

[QUOTE=ARoss;145990]From info provided, this looks like the boat:

That's the boat!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #16
Ben
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post

Yea... But there are some red flags there too. The price is the first one, the complete disregard of staging for photos is another. I won't go further because we don't know if this is the actual boat OR is it belongs to a TF member. I think if it's a Marine Trader LaBelle in Jacksonville, FL, Mike at Paradise Yachts (since he owns that exact model) will probably know about it, have shown it to another client, or may even have listed it at one point.
1. ADC engine is a tank. Good motor.
2. Tom's right about the staging, boat looks unprepared to show, that makes a statement.
3. Evidence of some wood neglect in some photos. (red flag - what other areas might have neglect?)
4. Lower helm has a lot of tack-ons. (red flag - look for electrical shortcuts)
5. Sundeck canvas is unconventional, I'd remove for photos.

If I were the selling owner, I'd pull this boat out of circulation, do a good cosmetic clean up, take some proper wide angle photos, plus a shot or two out at anchor, and re-market. The broker has failed him.

Still, this boat is staged to be lowballed. So an opportunistic buyer... could take advantage considering comparable boats.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

All,

I very much appreciate everyone's offers for assistance. I was able to speak with some folks who have seen this particular vessel personally and were able to describe its current condition well enough for us to determine it is not what we are looking for. Our search will continue...thanks again to all that offered assistance!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #18

City: Jacksonville
Sorry I just saw your post. I keep my 32 Grand Banks on C dock at Ortega Landing and the Marine Trader is on D dock. If you change your mind on the boat I'd be happy to go over and shoot some video on my iPhone.
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
All,

I very much appreciate everyone's offers for assistance. I was able to speak with some folks who have seen this particular vessel personally and were able to describe its current condition well enough for us to determine it is not what we are looking for. Our search will continue...thanks again to all that offered assistance!
Glad you got what you needed. Good luck continuing your search.