Any advice to a new boater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New owner here as well.

I am new to the big boat world as well. I just bought a 1987 Sea Ray 41. Although it is not a true trawler by definition it still has the same systems as a trawler. I plan on cruiser her at trawler speeds.

I just completed my purchase this week. My boat was originally for sale for $55,000 and we agreed on a price of 46,000. There were somethings wrong with the boat that the seller fixed including three house batteries, bilge pump and a broken AC fan in the aft cabin. I had the engine surveyed by a Diesel engine surveyor and a regular boat surveyor. I thought this was critical to my purchase and I would suggest that you do the same. I am a little overwhelmed by all of the systems in the boat and look forward to learning them one by one. My surveyor went over most of all the equipment but I am nowhere near ready to understand at all. I wish you the best of luck with your purchase

1. Identify make/model number of every system on board (engines, gears, AC, water pumps, coffeemaker, whatever) and then acquire a softcopy manual for that... to have available on your ship's laptop/tablet/whatever...

2. Assuming you'll want to do some (most?) of your own work, gradually learn how to service/maintain each of those systems.

3. Learn everything you can about using spring lines to dock...

4. Use the boat as often as you can...

-Chris

1. Identify make/model number of every system on board (engines, gears, AC, water pumps, coffeemaker, whatever) and then acquire a softcopy manual for that... to have available on your ship's laptop/tablet/whatever...

2. Assuming you'll want to do some (most?) of your own work, gradually learn how to service/maintain each of those systems.

3. Learn everything you can about using spring lines to dock...

4. Use the boat as often as you can...

-Chris

Good points Chris. Using the boat is so important. I'm making a concerted effort to take my new boat out at LEAST once a week. During the week Im so busy with my career but I'm planning to go out at least once every weekend.

Boats need to be used. A dock queen is a certain recipe for premature aging and repairs.

Lots of older threads have explored this subject, but this one has generated the best concentration of good advice.

Moving to twins for the first time, whether you get an instructor or not, you need some quiet time with your twins and a dock. Tell any "helpers" on the dock that you need the uninterrupted practice time and do just that. Preferably on a dock that is away from other distractions, working up to docking in current and/or wind, from different directions.
You will master the skill faster this way, then will avoid embarrassment when you can come into any dock, in any conditions and land without losing paint.

Lots of older threads have explored this subject, but this one has generated the best concentration of good advice.

Moving to twins for the first time, whether you get an instructor or not, you need some quiet time with your twins and a dock. Tell any "helpers" on the dock that you need the uninterrupted practice time and do just that. Preferably on a dock that is away from other distractions, working up to docking in current and/or wind, from different directions.
You will master the skill faster this way, then will avoid embarrassment when you can come into any dock, in any conditions and land without losing paint.

Great advice koliver.

Just because someone has received instruction doesn't mean the learning stops. I advise boaters to practice what was learned in a situation similar to what you outlined.

On a used boat (any boat for that matter), there are only 3 states of any piece of equipment:

1) About to fail
2) Not working
3) Just replaced

Start using stuff. Once it fails, start researching, take it apart, fix it. At the end of the journey, you'll know that piece of equipment inside and out, whether you eventually fixed it or replaced it. There is almost never a shortage of things to work on on a boat.

To add to that excellent input:

Starting with the survey report as a To Do list, keep it going. When you discover something that's not working properly, or simply not to your liking, add it to the list. It is likely to get longer, not shorter, even as you knock out projects, but that's OK - at least you'll never forget all the things you want to do.

You can also use the list to be more efficient in your projects. When you tackle a bilge project, for example, your list will help you see all the things you should do in that area while you're there.

I also keep a maintenance log, of virtually every fix, upgrade, modification, etc., in some detail. It helps me remember what I did when and how, and (I think) will be valuable to whoever owns the boat after me.

Don't hit the docks
Don't hit the rocks.

Collect experience--do what is comfortable but expand your envelope comfortably.

Don't hit other boats.

Don't hit the docks
Don't hit the rocks.

Collect experience--do what is comfortable but expand your envelope comfortably.

Agreed.

Attachments

• dreamweaver_aground.jpg
    dreamweaver_aground.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 52
Rule 1.
Don't hit other boats.

Rule 2.
Don't hit the docks
Don't hit the rocks.

Have good insurance in case Rules 1 and 2 are broken.

Both times my boat has been in an accident, it came out of the yard better than before the event. Once was my fault, running aground on a piling in the middle of nowhere. The other was an allision with a 60 Hatt while anchored. (Yes, my anchor held us both in the SF Bay Slot during Fleet Week's crowded waters!)

Sometimes, sh!t happens. It just happens...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom