anti-freeze question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarli

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pandion
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
I have twin Hino 150 diesel engines and I am going to change the anti-freeze in them...Does it matter what anti-freeze I use. Any suggestions?
thanks

Not sure what kind you have in there now but if you plan to go to a Dexcool type of antifreeze you need to take care. If you have the regular green type, you may have trouble with gelling and plugging down the line if you do not flush the system out well. This happened to my boat. I had to take the cooling system apart and clean the gunk out. The older all cast iron diesels seem to do just fine with the old green glycol based coolants but the newer engines with lots of aluminum seem to do better with the newer stuff. I'm sure others will chip in their experiences.

Kevin

The most reliable plan is to find out what the manufacturer recommends and use that. Kevin is correct, mixing the types can cause serious problems.

I have twin Hino 150 diesel engines and I am going to change the anti-freeze in them...Does it matter what anti-freeze I use. Any suggestions?
thanks

Your engines require a low silicate aluminum safe diesel coolant at 50/50 coolant to DI water. Please make sure you drain coolant from both drain cocks to get all of the old stuff out. If unsure of what is in there now flush the system twice with any major brand of aluminum safe coolant flushing agent (ie -Prestone) at the recommended ratio (likely 2 containers for one engine).
When filling the system pre mix the coolant and DI water and fill from the filler neck slowly allowing all air to escape. Do not forget to bleed the top of the turbo housing - there is a small air bleed screw/nut on the top. Recheck the fill and bleed after the engine comes up to temp and the thermostat is open.

Right now I have an anti-freeze that is compatible with with regular green anti-freeze and Dex. Two years ago made the mistake of using orange dex without realizing the problem of mixing the different types. I spent a week flushing it out and replaced it with what I have now. I can not un-do the block coolant drains but the manicooler drains worked fine.....so....I am planning on draining whatever I can through the manicooler and removing a lower coolant hose to drain as much as I can then I am going to pull the thermostat and impellers(they need to be changed anyway) and vacuum the remaining coolant out. I want to replace it with regular green (ethylene glycol) antifreeze.....???????
that's my plan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom