Anti fouling ultrasonic system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddalme

Vessel Name
Relenti
Vessel Make
Atlantic 30, 1983
Saw this on the internet. WWW.Antifouling system.com. Anybody tried one of these systems. Sounds too good to be true. If it works, could pay for itself just in the less aggrevation of cleaning the hull/haul out etc.

I have one in a box on my boat, provided by the PO but my skepticism and my fear of being attacked by the Bottom Paint Cartel keeps me from mounting it. Besides, I will haul in the spring, that is the time to mount it when the hull is clean and I can see if it keeps it clean.

If it worked and it discombobulated barnacles, I'm sure we would already be using them.

IMHO, too good to be true.

Last edited:
Link doesn't work. Nor does the web address. I spoke to a vendor selling a similar system at a boat show. He spoke in techno-garble. It probably works as well in the box as it does mounted.

Save yourself some dough. An underwater speaker playing Tiny Tim's Greatest Hits will pretty much keep every living thing from wanting to hang around.;)

Last edited:
Heard if you have a Rocna and a good set of boat shoes thats all you need....

These systems have been around since the early seventies at least. The companies never last long.

Larry you weren't far off with Tiny Tim. One of the systems was meant to be hooked to a radio and play music to vibrate the hull. Turns out barnacles enjoy all kinds of music.

I used to install them for another company. They work to an extent. But they are not the cure all some vlsim they are. But they can extend the life of your bottom paint. And can be used to slow or stop growth in localized areas.

I have searched far & wide for hard information on the results of someone installing an ultrasonic antifouling system.
I've seen numerous posters on various forums who write about installing such systems saying they will report back the results. If there is any follow up response at all, it states that they have had a very minor improvement with growth on steel hulls or steel components. Usually there is no further response, which makes me think their results were not worth broadcasting.

I would say these things do not work because barnacle is supposed to be blind and deaf. By the way, call Bruce, Rocna's brother in law, and he'll take care of that specialy when we use crocs sandals!

(sorry, it is just a joke)

Greetings,
Probably works just as well as the AlgeX system that uses VERY strong magnetic fields to kill fuel bugs. The AlgeX system probably aligns your fuel molecules as well resulting in more complete combustion although they don't advertise the fact.

Like most here, I have always been very skeptical of these things. If they worked why aren't the original equipment or at least an option on a new vessel.
However, a yachting friend, whose opinion I value, was given a system to try out - he works in the boating industry. He is a keen racer and says that he now cleans the hull half as often and reckons he will get twice the life from his antifouling - has made me reconsider...

Ask Oliver what he paid for his deck shoes. You'll be shocked at the price.

RTF, I'm amazed that AlgeX is still in business. I figure it's because there is no way to tell if it's working or not. They always pair them with a high quality fuel filter that removes the bugs anyway. I doubt if anyone checks to see if the bugs caught in the filter are dead or alive. Who would care? As long as the bugs are out of the fuel, it doesn't matter if you kill them first.

Ask Oliver what he paid for his deck shoes. You'll be shocked at the price.

Speaking of which......Hanging Oliver's ratty old sandals over the side may also discourage marine growth!:socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom