Old 02-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
"anthem of the Seas" stupidity

Passengers petrified as cruise ship sails straight into monster storm - 9news.com.au

I'm guessing that Royal Caribbean will be looking for a new Captain and possibly other senior crew as well. And perhaps they should get help with their recruiting and appointment processes
Old 02-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Its hard to say - could be the word from above was to do it and the captain was following orders. Ultimate command/Ultimate responsibility and all but the bean counters are always involved. From the news coverage it seems like the passengers are having a bad day but are in no danger. I'm wondering what the $$ of damage sustained to the ship are at the end of the day.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
2 words....Cruise Director. Captain "almost" has control of a cruise ship.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Uh oh, here we (might) go again with the mean old corporations callously drowning women and children at sea.

Looks like one of our previous trips on the Queen Mary 2 -- but then that ship is a graceful fortress that was custom designed for the rough Atlantic. Then there was the rough night on Holland America in the Gulf of Alaska. We thought about sleeping on the floor at one point, but eventually we just took the extra pillows out of the closet and built ourselves a roll-off barrier as if we were on a heeling sailboat, and moved crosswise across the bed to counteract the pitching (rolling? can't remember now). Oh, and I had to take all the loose hangers off the closet pole because they kept sliding and clanging back and forth.

You know on a cruise you can never win. If the captain forges ahead and keeps going, a thousand passengers will turn green and complain about rough weather. If you turn around or skip ports, then a thousand passengers will complain about a missed trip.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: Trenton
Titanic all over again.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
What do you expect? Stay ashore if you're scared of the sea. Gee, the outing was free and you get 50 percent off the next cruise? Nice!

Some people complain of the slightest movement on a ship. Unbelievable! If there is no motion, why go to sea?

Old 02-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What do you expect? Stay ashore if you're scared of the sea. Gee, the outing was free and you get 59 percent off the next cruise? Nice!

Some people complain of the slightest movement on a ship. Unbelievable! If there is no motion, why go to sea?
Easy, its cheap and there is tons of stuff to keep the kiddos busy.
devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
We cruised with RC last November. The Captain decided to enter port early due to an ill passenger( no not gastro, that was the next cruise). Cruise Director sounded seriously peeved about it saying it was the Captain`s call. Barring BS, Capt was the decision maker.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #9
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
2 words....Cruise Director. Captain "almost" has control of a cruise ship.
Wait a minute. Are saying that Julie McCoy trumps Captain Merrill Stubing?
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #10
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Turned around

Cruise ship that sailed in Atlantic storm headed back to Florida | Alaska Dispatch News

Have to say that the video reflects a normal crossing in the Queen Charlotte crossing or Dixon Entrance during common 45 +knot winds. Great fun in a 50+year old ferry The Ferry to Kodiak has even more and rougher seas. Both ferries are smaller by far than this behemoth.
Bet there will be tons of law suits over this whimpy sea story.

On the other hand, here we go!!!

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #11
FF
Guru

Just think of the ride they would have had in a Liberty Ship (put together in a few days) in years gone by!!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Wait a minute. Are saying that Julie McCoy trumps Captain Merrill Stubing?
What do you think? And he had more hair than me....

My niece was pretty far up in a small cruise line and she told me a few things that were hard to believe.

Ultimately, I am guessing it is similar to having an Admiral aboard his/her flagship with a ship's captain.

For military ops where going in harms way where casualties are expected is understandable...not sure cruise ship pax ever should be put in harms way.

And if anyone here thinks 2 authoritative figures with different agendas/responsibilities will always come up with a safe compromise....well the world is living proof of your guess....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #13
Guru

With the El Faro disaster still fresh in everyone's mind, it was the right decision.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Not really the best arrangement having ships leave from NY and head all the way south in the dead of winter, but there is a market for those that don't want to fly. With that said weather is not an EXACT science, yes much better then in the past.
Want to lower the risk, cruise out of NY in May or fly to Miami!
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:39 AM   #15
Guru

City: gulf coast
RC said the weather was unexpected but our local weather man said called BS and said the near hurricane force had been predicted continuously for 48 hours.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
The thing I don't quite grasp is the Cruise Lines apparently not grasping or caring about the damage to future business when they make poor decisions. I fault them often on safety issues, whether it's refusal to tow to the nearest port, refusal to return to port when 80% on board are sick or going out or continuing a trip when conditions are too bad. However, they can give all the half price deals they want and that won't get passengers to return. Half price is nothing as many cabins sell for that or less regularly. So, they're giving them nothing. The trip was free? Yeah. Miserable, scary, and you're not going to charge me? There is an apparent industry philosophy that there are an endless number of future passengers so the loss of a few doesn't really matter.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
We were just on a RC cruise to the eastern Caribbean. Halfway there a passenger needed emergency surgery. The Capt worked with the main office to come up with a plan to divert to a port (Grand Turk) in the middle of the night and life flight the guy back to Ft Lauderdale. Later, the Capt had a question and answer session where he said he had the final say on any plan. It was his decision to divert vs, helo, or offload onto another boat. I know it had to cost some money because they jacked up the ship speed from 16 to 23 kts for the 10 hour run. I would cruise RC again.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Just think of the ride they would have had in a Liberty Ship (put together in a few days) in years gone by!!!
At the height of production Kaiser was launching liberty ships at the rate of one per day.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #19
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
If you care to read about a true disaster about ships sailing into heavy weather, read Halsey's Typhoon. During WW2, Admiral Halsey turned his fleet directly into the path of a typhoon. Four destroyers went down, 90-foot waves breaking on the decks of carriers. If it hadn't been wartime and if Halsey hadn't been so revered a commander, he likely would have been subjected to a court-martial.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #20
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
A relative took 25 family members on a cruse over this past Christmas. Bad weather forced the ship to abandon their stops and they puttered around for 5 days doing zig zags in the Caribbean. These types of weather or mechanical malfunctions are not uncommon and receive no press unless spectacular outcome.

Watching the cruise ship i landings in different ports has cured me of these short hop excursions. But I would enjoy the CA to Australia trip on the Queen Mary.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote