Old 02-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #21
Guru

Our recent RC cruise was 16 nights Perth(west coast) to Sydney(east coast) but via NZ, largely circumnavigating the south island.
A recent article in Afloat magazine here dealt with the design of cruise ships to increase accommodation at the expense of traditional ship and hull design. The one exception the author noted were Cunard ships, which he observed retain a long bow section.
April 2015 we had a Carnival cruise ship stuck off Sydney for 3 days, in weather so bad the Harbourmaster refused permission to enter the harbour with what would have been huge following swells. It would have literally surfed its way in. Too bad, they would have been great pics.
If you go big ship cruising, you have to expect some weather.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Itinerary adjustments due to weather and mechanical complications for cruise ships can be expected at least 20% of the time. Leastwise, that's been my experience. Gee, how many times have I heard that small-boat operators need to adjust their agendas due to circumstance? Isn't that part of the mystery of the seas?

Old 02-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
If you care to read about a true disaster about ships sailing into heavy weather, read Halsey's Typhoon. During WW2, Admiral Halsey turned his fleet directly into the path of a typhoon. Four destroyers went down, 90-foot waves breaking on the decks of carriers. If it hadn't been wartime and if Halsey hadn't been so revered a commander, he likely would have been subjected to a court-martial.
Apparently, my father's destroyer towed "half" a destroyer (it had been blown in half so cleanly that the watertight integrity kept the rest afloat) through that typhoon. He said they all wanted to cut it loose, but they persevered.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
A bit of bad weather on a cruise goes with the territory. Ultimately that's all that happened with Anthem of the Seas, with a few injuries and a some minor damage.

The point I was hoping to make is that to when a hurricane is forecast and your scheduled departure and route takes you directly into the path of that hurricane, do you simply go ahead or do you enact Plan B?

The Royal Caribbean head office / Captain / Cruise Director stupidity was to not change schedule or routing. A prima facie case of gross negligence in my view, and I'd love to see the injured passengers to take it to court so it can be established just who took the decision. Whoever it was failed seamanship 101. Something like 4500 passengers and crew on board and someone decides the near new huge ship can handle a bit of wind and a few waves? Hurricane? Piffle.... man up! That someone needs to be outed...

And yes, 50% discount on future cruises has zero net present value until RC tells the truth on the incident.

Lots of cruises change itinerary due to weather, and it is the responsible thing to do. Recently there was a couple who flew from Hobart to Sydney to take a cruise to Fiji. Well, weather was bad so the cruise line said we are going in the opposite direction and cruise to Hobart instead. The couple from Hobart still took the cruise - the destination isn't the major part of cruising for most people anyway, its the experiences onboard they really want.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
...However, they can give all the half price deals they want and that won't get passengers to return...
Oh sure they will. Dangle a low price in front of people and they develop amnesia. I remember the president of a major airline was caught making some insulting wisecrack about packing people into plane seats no matter how badly they were treated, as long as they offered the lowest price. It made a splash for about five minutes and long term had no effect on booking numbers. How many times have you heard people say, "I'll never fly (X) airline ever again!" - but they always do.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Oh sure they will. Dangle a low price in front of people and they develop amnesia. I remember the president of a major airline was caught making some insulting wisecrack about packing people into plane seats no matter how badly they were treated, as long as they offered the lowest price. It made a splash for about five minutes and long term had no effect on booking numbers. How many times have you heard people say, "I'll never fly (X) airline ever again!" - but they always do.
Not always.
I had a work colleague whose flight in 1st class was so bad he wrote the airline a complaint letter, adding that he would never fly with them again. The airline replied with apologies, and enclosed 2 1st class round the world tickets. Which he sent back, asking, "Didn`t you read my letter?"
Old 02-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Not always.
I had a work colleague whose flight in 1st class was so bad he wrote the airline a complaint letter, adding that he would never fly with them again. The airline replied with apologies, and enclosed 2 1st class round the world tickets. Which he sent back, asking, "Didn`t you read my letter?"
I would have kept the tickets but used them with one of the alliance partner airlines instead of the offending airline.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I would have kept the tickets but used them with one of the alliance partner airlines instead of the offending airline.
Good thought. The person was a Sydney QC who had appeared for Government bodies at several Aviation Inquiries. I wonder he didn`t think of that, maybe the tickets were limited to the particular airline, or maybe he just had too much money . You`d have to have prised the tickets out of my clenched hand.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:20 AM   #29
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
You can say that again...
Old 02-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #30
FF
Guru

"And if anyone here thinks 2 authoritative figures with different agendas/responsibilities will always come up with a safe compromise....well the world is living proof of your guess....:"

Like NASA launching a shuttle with out of temp limits on O rings?

But there was a consensus !
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: In Between
Here is the latest video from the Captain and Cruise Dirctor of the Ship. Blame it on the Weather???

Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #32
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
160+ Knots....oooops.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #33
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
160+ Knots....oooops.
How many Amp/Hours is that?

Cruise Ship - A hole in the water in which money is collected

"The two happiest days in a cruise line's life are when they deploy the boat and when it remains profitable years later."

B.O.A.T. - Bring Overeaters Aboard Today (doing one for cruise ship would take too long)

(I was bored at work)
Old 02-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #34
Master and Commander

The ship's stars:

Old 02-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #35
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
The ship rolled 20 degrees.
But when you 11 stories high, it seems like a lot.

Also, the design of these ships, broad beam and very tall, contributes to a snappy roll.

Does anyone here actually think the home office and Captain did not communicate??

They were in the North Atlantic in winter. What would you expect?

Richard
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #36
Guru

Just watched the video. Wow, those two dudes are in charge? Are you serious? 160 kn winds come from nowhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
RC said the weather was unexpected but our local weather man said called BS and said the near hurricane force had been predicted continuously for 48 hours.

Hey, can't someone from the forum go and take charge - anyone, please? You can offer much improved performance....
Old 02-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
The ship rolled 20 degrees.
But when you 11 stories high, it seems like a lot.

Also, the design of these ships, broad beam and very tall, contributes to a snappy roll.
On the trip after ours last year on Explorer OTS, the ship was reported as hit by strong winds,taking on a 15 degree list for about 10 minutes, with some pax on deck 4 getting down on their knees to pray(perhaps to avoid falling over too ).
On what amounts to a mobile floating hotel it`s easy to forget you are on a ship, which will do "ship things", like encounter bad weather and behave accordingly. Ships heading east from Australia cross the Tasman sea between here and NZ, it has a well deserved reputation for weather.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We just had an interesting thought we were discussing too. I get on a plane and I don't even think about the issues the pilots face or the decisions, I just put my trust in them.

However, if I got on a cruise ship, I would think about all of that. The difference is that I know nothing about flying, but I do have knowledge of operating a boat and the decisions to be made, including following the weather carefully.

That also brings about a sense of helplessness as I have no control over the operation of the boat. If I disagree with a decision, I have no input. I like control. That's probably part of why I'm licensed and have worked hard at learning, that I want to have knowledge to exercise control properly.

Think about it. You get in a taxi and you pay attention to how the driver drives. You have knowledge of driving.

So, that said, I would think in many ways it is easier for a non-boater to take a cruise. They don't think of the issues, don't know what a captain does. They also don't have the knowledge of what various weather and sea conditions can do. So when things are less than perfect, most of us would probably realize the ship could easily handle it, but I can see those with less knowledge thinking it was all about to end.

Something to be said about being naive, uninformed and a bit ignorant. But then when things go astray, that works against you.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #39
Master and Commander

People operating boats and planes, prefer to be in control. That's why I "sign off" when on a plane or ship where I'm not in command.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Something to be said about being naive, uninformed and a bit ignorant. But then when things go astray, that works against you.
Yep. Works for me, most days!

But then I'm not flying planes or running cruise ships. I expect more from those guys, and generally get it.