Old 02-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #21

City: Central Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Keep in mind when dumping your land line for cell or VOIP service that you are no longer pinging an address back to 911 dispatch services. In other words you must be able to tell them where you are located for a response.

That little nugget was passed to me a couple years ago by a good friend who is the manager for 911 dispatch in our county. A problem they are working with providers to find a solution for.

That's not an issue. You just need to set up your E911 information, which basically means entering your address manually when you set up your phone. Your provider can tell you specifically how to do that.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #22

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Quote:
Keep in mind when dumping your land line for cell or VOIP service that you are no longer pinging an address back to 911 dispatch services. In other words you must be able to tell them where you are located for a response. That little nugget was passed to me a couple years ago by a good friend who is the manager for 911 dispatch in our county. A problem they are working with providers to find a solution for.
Hadn't really thought about the 911 ping...

Can most 911 operators detect a cell phone location via triangulation of towers or via GPS from the phone?

Getting rid of our land line for me was more about simplifying communications and "Resetting" those "telemarketers" and "politicians"and '501c3s"!

My Tread on the dropping a landline and Panasonic's Cell/Home Phone technology I hope will also work on the boat. I want it to be...... be low current draw......Not interfere with or cause interference with other electronics.... provide convenience and time savings that can be used enjoying boating vs carrying around a cell phone in my pocket, or on my belt, or chasing it across the helm when that rogue wave rocks the boat.

How about just coming on board, putting your cellphone in the assigned location, and for the time on the boat, you know where your cell phone is, but you can answer it from more than one location (forward, aft, pilothouse, galley) like at home (if you like)?

Glad to hear others are already using the technology with good results.

Norm
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler

Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Norm it sounds as though MC Escher has more current info than I. The triangulation thing I'll leave to those more tech savvy. Last I heard it was a pain in the rump too but technology marches on.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Escher View Post
That's not an issue. You just need to set up your E911 information, which basically means entering your address manually when you set up your phone. Your provider can tell you specifically how to do that.
Thanks!
Here is what I found on Cell Phone 911...

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-911-services

Norm
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #25
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Actually, the 911 issue for VOIP has been solved - you just need to register your address to the phone number when you set up the account. As for cell phones, yes, 911 location can be an issue.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #26
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
or try Magic Jack with an app on your android phone. The multiple handset unit above will work wit this system, also your cellphone. Need a good broadband connection. then you won't need the landline or the cell contract.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #27

City: LaPaz ,Mexico and the Sea of Cortez
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
We moved aboard now two years ago and did the same thing with a Panasonic kx-tga410 set up with 4 remote phones. It is also set up to Bluetooth to 2 cell phones. Now the wife and I walk on board, plug our cell phones in the chargers and forget it. They are always charged and when either of us get a call it rings throughout the boat. Like being at the house. Not a real problem, you can also make your our going calls from the home phones. Better sound quality coming and going. We have a remote in the kitchen, both staterooms and the pilothouse. Had the same phones in my house when I moved out so it cost nothing to bring them here. Winner
Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #28
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
We dumped the home phone close to 10 years ago, don't miss it or the telemarketers one bit. Not willing to get up and answer my cell unless it's an expected call. I rule it; it doesn't rule; I don't come running when it calls.

Ted

Hey Ted, can I have your number? I want to call you.

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dswizzler View Post
We moved aboard now two years ago and did the same thing with a Panasonic kx-tga410 set up with 4 remote phones. It is also set up to Bluetooth to 2 cell phones. Now the wife and I walk on board, plug our cell phones in the chargers and forget it. They are always charged and when either of us get a call it rings throughout the boat. Like being at the house. Not a real problem, you can also make your our going calls from the home phones. Better sound quality coming and going. We have a remote in the kitchen, both staterooms and the pilothouse. Had the same phones in my house when I moved out so it cost nothing to bring them here. Winner
GREAT!

That was the feedback I was looking for!

Norm
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Old 02-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #30
FF
Guru

We dumped the home phone close to 10 years ago, don't miss it or the telemarketers one bit.

The robo-calls still come thru , weather you register for Do Not Call or not..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #31
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Keep in mind when dumping your land line for cell or VOIP service that you are no longer pinging an address back to 911 dispatch services. In other words you must be able to tell them where you are located for a response.

That little nugget was passed to me a couple years ago by a good friend who is the manager for 911 dispatch in our county. A problem they are working with providers to find a solution for.

NSA knows where you are!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
NSA knows where you are!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #33
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Being we been a live a board for 17 years, the only phones we have had is cell phones. We do not chase after the phone, and will not answer unless we know/recognize the number. We were also one of the first to have a portable PC, electronic charts on a PC, satellite TV, and wifi/broad band. The only hard wire to land is the shore power cord.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #34
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
I once heard explained - The cell phone is for my convenience, not yours.

Roger that!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #35
FF
Guru

STAFF carries cell phones ,we dont.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #36
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I had an early start with mobile phones, requiring a Motorola RCC for my work in Canada in the 70's. When I no longer was required to be on standby, I opted out of carrying a phone with me, and haven't had a cell or mobile for the past twenty years.

I am now re-considering this and may pick up an i-phone or something equally trendy.
Or maybe not.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #37

Well Im happy to report that now that we have had the http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073W729K/ref=cm_sw_su_dp phones for awhile they work better than expected. They system:

1. Unit will link to two cell phones (with different phone numbers) and you can answer either form any of the handsets (up to 6 handsets).
2. You can download the contacts from the cell phone into the base unit (up to 3000 numbers) and dial a contact from any phone.
3. When the phone rings what you hear from the handsets is the ringtone fro the cellphone that is ringing.
4. When the phone rings you hear the ring tone then if the caller is in your contacts it announces the caller by name.
5. We have one handset a 100 feet from the base unit and the reception and transmissions is acceptable (better if you are closer).
6. When you come home you simple put your phone in a location within say 30 feet of the base unit and it automatically Bluetooth connects the base unit to your cell phone.
7. The handsets have great displays with big fonts.

All in all I have been amazed at the value received for a little over $100. I have no connection to amazon or panasonic.

We will definitely put the same system on the boat (just with less handsets)!

Norm
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2698196731.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	27406   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1100357929.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	27408  
Old 02-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #38
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
We had the Panasonic system on the boat for all the reasons mentioned and were very happy with it, then doing the reverse, putting one in a house when we swallowed the anchor and moved back to a land home. One thing I didn't see mentioned was it is an excellent intercom system, each handset can be named (salon, galley, flying bridge etc). I had a nice Charles C Phone system on board, which had a clunky way of tying into cell phones but discontinued it once we got the Panasonics, the wireless handsets being so much more handy than the fixed ones.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote