US destroyer collides with merchant ship near Singapore - CNN
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Another US Navy collision

Another Navy collision, this time USS John McCain near Singapore. Scant detail so far, but "search and Rescue underway" does not sound good.

US Navy destroyer collides with merchant ship

https://news.usni.org/2017/08/20/uss...way#more-27607
Old 08-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Another military collision?

U.S. Navy said the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with a*merchant vessel in waters*east of Singapore and the Strait of Malacca early Monday.*
Initial reports indicated that the destroyer sustained damage to her port side aft.
The Navy did not provide any information on injuries, but said search and rescue efforts were underway.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Amazing, just saw that. There is a good write up on the last collision in G Captain. Some very strong opinions offered between the Merchant guys, and NAvy. It got a bit testy, but a good discussion.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #5

City: Houston
Does the navy still teach rules of the road
Svfd_242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Heber City
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
U.S. Navy said the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain collided with a*merchant vessel in waters*east of Singapore and the Strait of Malacca early Monday.*

Initial reports indicated that the destroyer sustained damage to her port side aft.

The Navy did not provide any information on injuries, but said search and rescue efforts were underway.

I'm stunned. I'm sure there is a way that people will explain who is at fault, but the fact that a merchant vessel can sneak up and rear end one of our multi-billion dollar vessels is making me think something is seriously wrong with our technology, or the people operating it!
Humancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svfd_242 View Post

Is the Navy capable of noticing a container ship or merchant vessel sneaking up to rear end it?

I'm not sure this is boosting confidence. Have they simply been training too much to focus on hypersonic missile that these ships just seem to be non-moving objects?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Four incidents this year with Navy vessels stationed in Yokosuka. Two collisions with shipping vessels, one with a fishing boat, and one case of running aground. I think now it's fair to say there's a problem.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Crap ... and they lost 10 sailors in this new one!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/20/asia/u...ore/index.html
Old 08-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #10
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
That's the third one tonight!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #11

Maybe with all the current threats, we just have an inordinate number of ships deployed in that area? So the chances of collisions are higher than normal? I have a family member deployed somewhere over there on the Nimitz now...he's been "in" for 3 years and this is really his first significant deployment. Rest has been occasional "training" off of California. That tells me the crews on these ships may be pretty green...
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #12
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svfd_242 View Post
They might, but undoubtedly with a special focus on sensitivity to the other ship's rights & feelings.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I know you aren't making excuses, but green crews are not an excuse for a navy with an over 200 year tradition.

Statically, it is certainly possible to get 4 incidents in a cluster. However, from the outside perspective it really looks bad and doesn't give me much confidence.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #14

Maybe "Don't ask Don't tell" extends to course changes.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #15
Guru

City: Boston Area
This is unbelievable. I know there are a lot of navy ships covering a lot of incident free miles....but this really doesn't look good. Keeping my fingers crossed for the 10 missing sailors.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #16
Guru

In the interest of redundancy reduction and minimization of repetitiveness, perhaps this thread could be continued here:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tml#post585133
Old 08-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #17
Guru

In the interest of redundancy reduction and minimization of repetitiveness, perhaps this thread could be continued here:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tml#post585133
Old 08-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Too early to opportion blame. Singapore is and Straights of Malacca are busy areas, but so are a lot of other places around the world.

The Navy likely has many more sets of eyes for lookouts than merchant vessels, better electronic aids and navigation equipment, and multiple communication options. It is hard to see how they could manage to find themselves involved in another incident where, unfortunately, fatalities seem to have occurred. Something is wrong with procedures, and bridge staffing/training/management, and maybe the operations handbook?

Ten missing, five hurt as US destroyer collides with merchant ship
Old 08-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #19

Dhays -
I agree and I'm certainly not looking to excuse this...It's a terrible situation. I'm just wondering if this really is just a "cluster" of accidents - I hope it's not indicative of a wider problem. And I don't really know if there are more ships deployed on higher alerts right now in that part of the world, but if there are, it would seem to increase the odds of this as a cluster.
Maybe they should turn on the AIS. (Oh yeah...but then the big secret would be out!)
Old 08-21-2017, 12:51 AM   #20
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
"A US Navy official told CNN the McCain had experienced a loss of steering before the collision, but that steering had been regained."

It is certainly too early to know if this contributed to the incident, or if indeed it actually happened, but . . . . .

The across-the-board funding cuts to military budgets that resulted under the Obama administration’s Budget Control Act, known as sequestration, have shrunk the number of available aircraft and warships in the American arsenal to their lowest point since World War II.

The Navy fleets had a $500-million ship maintenance budget shortfall leftover from 2016 that continues to grow in 2017. The shipyards and aviation depots are failing to get ships and aircraft through maintenance periods on time.

In February, the Navy reported nearly two-thirds of its F/A 18 strike fighter jets are currently unable to fly, grounded due to repair delays or because they are awaiting spare parts. The USMC reported 70% of its combat aircraft were unable to fly. Its usable planes are being pushed to the limit. I couldn't readily find the same availability statistics for the Navy's warships, but they are undoubtedly operationally affected as well.

Training has similarly suffered and SWO's (Surface Warfare Officers) are being pushed into the fleet with less training than ever before.

IMO, I believe we (the public) are just beginning to see the results of these budget cuts to a military deployed throughout the globe and stretched far too thin.