Another sailing loss of life...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
A man from a San Diego based sailing crew died and five people were injured when an angry surf tore their carbon-fiber boat apart off San Clemente Island during a two day, 139 mile race.The crew issued a mayday call after the rudder failed, but then declined help.The crew then called a commercial salvor but they could not get there due to the weather.The crew tried unsuccessfully to launch their life raft, then tried to anchor with no success.Eventually the boat drifted onto the shore where it was broken apart by the surf. A CG chopper lifted the six sailors from the water. There are a lotta questions that need answerin' here. I'm guessin' it will all be settled in court some day.

ugh we read about that over the weekend. We had sailed against that owner in the Pacific Cup in 2010. He had a Columbia 30 with the same name and he then had a new Columbia 32 built (the boat that was lost). He won his division in '10 and from all accounts is an excellent sailor.

I am sure the choice seemed right at the time as why would you want to abandon your boat over a broken rudder? Of course you would get a tow instead? Too bad everything went downhill from there and a tradegy resulted. My heart goes out them.

Back
Top Bottom