Another Poop Dump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And was a fine levied?

Another point to consider. One time I attended a bunker C fuel spill in Vancouver, BC harbour that was first reported to be 15 liters (about 5 gallons). Turned out that more than 15,000 liters were actually spilled. Pretty close estimate I would say :)
It seems now a days that politicians want to be seen by the electorate to be environmentally active. So, us boaters are easy targets. After all, we are all very rich, privileged folks who don't care about the environment. Right??? And to boot, the strict measures they impose on boaters do very, very little to actually address the real issue.

I like the way that first article worded things "To put 3,000 gallons in context: The city’s treatment plant takes in 70 million gallons of sewage a day."

Or, to put it into a different perspective, my boat hold 200 gallons of black water. Their spill of 3,000 gallons is 150 times what a spill of my boat's total black water contents would be.

If a boater accidently discharged 3 gallons into a no-discharge zone that would be a crime! Literally a crime with a fine and a record.

A 3000 gallon discharge over a 4 hour period by a government entity is being minimalized as part of the process of processing sewage. Like a golf hazard. With a public statement by the city's Bureau of Environmental Services as we need to work on a permanent solution.

HOW ABOUT a little preventive maintenance! Like inspecting pipes, drains and valves.

Aw, c'mon Action, get real. That would be expecting them to do their jobs and when they didn't....oh well, too bad, so sad.

If a boater accidently discharged 3 gallons into a no-discharge zone that would be a crime! Literally a crime with a fine and a record.

A 3000 gallon discharge over a 4 hour period by a government entity is being minimalized as part of the process of processing sewage. Like a golf hazard. With a public statement by the city's Bureau of Environmental Services as we need to work on a permanent solution.

HOW ABOUT a little preventive maintenance! Like inspecting pipes, drains and valves.
But...but...but...if they did this, how could they demand more taxes?

I know! My expectations are too high. My kids tell me that all the time.

Just 3000 gallons? Heck Victoria does that in an hour, or so rumour has it. And Vancouver system spills all the time, more rumor, to the point that it is no longer news. But heaven help me if I flush over by mistake.

Just 3000 gallons? Heck Victoria does that in an hour, or so rumour has it. And Vancouver system spills all the time, more rumor, to the point that it is no longer news. But heaven help me if I flush over by mistake.

Unlike other more Royal cites nearby, Vancouver has been vigilant about sewage for a very long time. One of my summers was spent working for the GVS&DD collecting samples at all potentially affected beaches when the Iona Island sewage treatment plant was young. That was 50 yrs ago!
I don't suppose Vancouver was better at it then than now.

Back
Top Bottom