Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
Best Trawler Websites

All,
Just wondering, besides this site, what other Trawler sites are the best out there. The Passagemaker site isn't what it used to be.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Taras
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
All,
Just wondering, besides this site, what other Trawler sites are the best out there. The Passagemaker site isn't what it used to be.

Taras
Other sites? OTHER SITES? OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
All,

Taras
The best boating site on the Internet as far as I'm concerned is the Grand Banks Owners site. The independent one, not the GB Beacon site operated by Grand Banks themselves.

While this site is specifically for GB owners, wood and glass, there is a wealth of information and expertise that is equally applicable to any kind of boat, from how to care for teak decks to the most effective brightwork finishes to overhauling windows to how to paint the entire boat to the best care and feeding for engines, and everything in between

The more general boating forums, like this one, are great interactive entertainment-- kind of like watching Family Guy or South Park--- but that's about it in my view. I would and do act on advice from the shipwrights and former yard owners on the GB forum. I would never do so on advice I read on general forums like this one without confirming it first from other sources known by me to be experienced and reliable.

I should say that while I think the independent GB owners forum is the better of the two, GB Beacon has as one of its members one of the two most knowledgable and experienced people on the planet on the subjects of the operation, servicing, maintenance, upgrades, and repair of GBs, wood or glass. This is Mike Negley. The other person is Bob Lowe, one of the founders of the independent GB forum.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I would and do act on advice from the shipwrights and former yard owners on the GB forum. I would never do so on advice I read on general forums like this one without confirming it first from other sources known by me to be experienced and reliable.
"Everything you read on the Internet is true" - Abe Lincoln.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Always: Caveat Emptor

On all items you see, hear, or purchase... from any person or business or web/net-location (forums inc.)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Now that right there is funny.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
ROTFLMAO!!

This thread sounds a bit like asking your wife "Which of your girlfriends would be the hottest in bed?" Her reply would probably be, "None of them!"

"The more general boating forums, like this one, are great interactive entertainment-- kind of like watching Family Guy or South Park--- but that's about it in my view. I would and do act on advice from the shipwrights and former yard owners on the GB forum. I would never do so on advice I read on general forums like this one without confirming it first... "

I find it ironic and very telling that the most prolific, and some will argue most ignored, TF poster would be the one who repeatedly belittles, diminishes and demeans the contributions of others on this forum while blathering incessantly as if his is the only opinion that matters. I guess some people just HAVE to step on the backs of others to elevate themselves.

In my opinion, everyone who contributes and all contributions are welcome. I have found this board to be a great source of shared knowledge that has helped me gain a steep learning curve in all things trawlering. I have made good friends from this forum, I have learned new skills and techniques, I have tackled projects I probably would not have attempted without the assistance from others here, I have shared knowledge, spare parts, a helping hand and tools and have received it all back many times over. The tips from others here have saved my bacon and saved me loads of money.

Don't listen to the naysayers who insult the knowledge base and contributions of others here. Sometimes it takes that out-of-the-box thinker to see a problem from a new and enlightening perspective. I'm grateful we have such a diversity of passionate fellow trawlerites. It's what makes our forum a community.

If it's entertainment like Family Guy () you're looking for, there are much better sources on the internet to fill that base need.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
Old 03-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Guru

In addition to this site, you might want to join the T&T (Trawlers & Trawlering) list that publishes a daily email and also Cruisers Forum. Even though CF is primarily inhabited by sailboat types, there are many crossover areas of interest with trawlers. I figure the main differences between a trawler and a sailboat is that even though we may both travel at 7kts, the trawler is not dependent on wind direction and can travel in a straight line!!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
In addition to this site, you might want to join the T&T (Trawlers & Trawlering) list that publishes a daily email and also Cruisers Forum. Even though CF is primarily inhabited by sailboat types, there are many crossover areas of interest with trawlers. I figure the main differences between a trawler and a sailboat is that even though we may both travel at 7kts, the trawler is not dependent on wind direction and can travel in a straight line!!
BUT the sailboat can travel with empty diesel tanks!!!

Bob
Old 03-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Guru

If you join the T&T list you should be aware that the moderators are pretty heavy handed and not in a professional way, which is why I left there a long time ago. Most of the posts here at TF would get you kicked off T&T. Chuck
Old 03-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
It's amazing that Cruisers Forum is a "sister site" to TF. The difference is startling, and I'm not talking about the subject matter. I've only been focused over here for a few weeks and am amazed and disappointed at how frequently and quickly conversations devolve into bickering, belittling, and other immature behavior. Not that CF is totally free from such behavior, but it's the exception, not the norm. Perhaps we should invite the T&T moderators over for a little while to shape things up.....
Old 03-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
That is another plus for the two GB sites. There is none of this on either site and both of them are totally un-moderated.
The GB site does indeed have a lot of good info on it. But I find it lacks "critical mass", i.e. there just isn't a large enough audience and broad enough subject coverage to motivate me to go over there very often. CF has huge traffic and there is always something interesting to read and participate in, even for someone like me who doesn't sail anymore. Plus the "center of gravity" on the GB site is more around older boats than mine, so many of the topics discussed just aren't applicable to my boat, at least not yet. And the few time I have asked questions about my boat there has been very little response, I think because my boat is as foreign to them as theirs are to me.

But I do appreciate the depth of knowledge, helpfulness, and civilized attitude. I just wish there were more and broader traffic.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
ROTFLMAO!!

This thread sounds a bit like asking your wife "Which of your girlfriends would be the hottest in bed?"
When I was young and stupid I did, also mentioned twins and something to do with a single... 6 weeks later I could see a little light from my left eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Black eyes.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
Guru

Do you mean like how many of the posts to this thread actually answers the OP's question?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #16
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post

ROTFLMAO!!

This thread sounds a bit like asking your wife "Which of your girlfriends would be the hottest in bed?" Her reply would probably be, "None of them!".
I would have to ask, "how do you know??"

Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #17

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
BUT the sailboat can travel with empty diesel tanks!!!

Bob
Bob, a true statement but in fact they NEVER do. Just my observation.
On trip from Abaco to New Orleans with a couple weeks in the Bahamas, finally saw a sail boat sailing----in Lake Pontchartrain at New Orleans.
YMMV\
CCC
Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It's amazing that Cruisers Forum is a "sister site" to TF. The difference is startling, and I'm not talking about the subject matter. I've only been focused over here for a few weeks and am amazed and disappointed at how frequently and quickly conversations devolve into bickering, belittling, and other immature behavior. Not that CF is totally free from such behavior, but it's the exception, not the norm. Perhaps we should invite the T&T moderators over for a little while to shape things up.....
Most of what makes this site sometimes tedious stems from a couple of folks whose absence would significantly improve the atmospherics, as well as participation from posters who would just as soon keep their mouths shut rather than get lambasted by know it alls with personality disorders.. Like you, I don't see much of that at CF.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
If you join the T&T list you should be aware that the moderators are pretty heavy handed and not in a professional way, which is why I left there a long time ago. Most of the posts here at TF would get you kicked off T&T. Chuck
Which serves to make the material on the T & T list a lot more focussed on information rather than personality. I'm not sure it is as true as it once was but the listservs tend to attract members with low bandwidth connections. People in that situation really appreciate moderators who keep the crap of the list. I do too.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #20
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Most of what makes this site sometimes tedious stems from a couple of folks whose absence would significantly improve the atmospherics, as well as participation from posters who would just as soon keep their mouths shut rather than get lambasted by know it alls with personality disorders.. Like you, I don't see much of that at CF.
The thread started by Galaxy Girl and the replies about her ability to buy and handle a yacht of the size she desired wasn't CF's best day...