Another good reason to get rid of chain...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Would be nice to eliminate this ugly perpetual rust stain from the anchor locker drain. When recovering the anchor, what is the procedure going from rope to chain on the windlass? Just had to add the picture of a "serious" boat that passed by.

Attachments

• Anchor Rode 002.jpg
    Anchor Rode 002.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Anchor Rode 005 (1280x960).jpg
    Anchor Rode 005 (1280x960).jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Anchor Rode 003 (1280x960).jpg
    Anchor Rode 003 (1280x960).jpg
    133 KB · Views: 154
What procedure?

The rope has one or two turns on the drum and when the anchor is in its roller the chain stopper is kicked to lock the 3-6 ft of chain aboard.

DONE

Would be nice to eliminate this ugly perpetual rust stain from the anchor locker drain.

The PO of my boat glued pieces of hose to the through hulls to keep AC discharge off the hull. Don't know how that would hold up closer to the bow, but it might work.

M
img_314710_0_659a3aef44d02349cb28885c5d5974b3.jpg
[/URL]b

I put those pieces of plastic hose in my discharge outlets. It's a simple job and the only reason they seem to get knocked out is if they get hit by a fender. Here are two pics of them. First is the cut piece of hose and the second is the installed piece.

img_314736_0_6efdbccf093b0685c090562c083992e6.jpg

img_314736_1_ad46046bc70862b53aaf38ceb9f4901e.jpg

I would think they'd work well near the bow where finders won't be knocking them out.

The procedure would be that once you pull up enough line that you get to where the chain starts you need to transfer from using the capstan to pull up the line to using the wildcat to continue pulling up the chain.

(I just noticed you have a horizontal windlass. That's more of a challenge when it comes to switching from pulling the the line to pulling the chain. In your case you'd have to lift the chain over to the wildcat. Unless you can get a combination line/chain wildcat.)

Depending on what style of windlass you have sometimes you can push the chain down with your foot so it starts to feed into the wildcat.

Transitioning from the line to the chain can be a PITA and potentially dangerous T&M you hands. :D

A better solution might be to clean out your chain locker, add the tubes to your drain and get new chain.

Last edited:
For the few times we anchor, getting rid of 600 pounds of weight in the bow is enticing.

ancora that largish bow wave will get smaller. It's coming half way up to the cap rail.

I'm bow light. Wouldn't bother me to have several hundred pounds more of chain if I saw the need for more rode. The Coot's anchor-compartment drain outlet is at waterline, so exterior hull rust stains from the anchor chain are not applicable.

Last edited:
The stain is likely a mix of rust and mud, latter probably hastens the former. Spray washing anchor and rode on retrieve helps. Soon after buying a previous boat I found literally inches of mud at the bottom of the unusually deep anchor locker, hiding thick diamond pattern rubber matting. Pressure washer got rid of it.

To transfer from the line capstan to the chain gipsy, bring in the line untioll the chain just touches the capstan.

Then using a short line which is attached to the cleat on your windlass that has a clevis hook at the end...

grab the chain with the clevis hook.

Then you can release the line from the capstan and calmly put the chain on the gipsy.

Thank you for that method of switching from line to chain on the windlass. Sounds feasible to me. Yes, the ol' girl does run "bow down." Don't know how detrimental it is but we do not take anything more than a light spray in 6' (my limit)seas.

mmmm and I just ordered 550 ft of 5/16 BBB chain for the inside passage trip at $3.19 a foot.

Alaskan: i hope you bought it online from china. I hear it's all the same :)

My boat maybe from that part of the world, but my chain will be American made baby!!!!

Yes, the ol' girl does run "bow down." Don't know how detrimental it is but we do not take anything more than a light spray in 6' (my limit)seas.

From your avatar photo your boat doesn't look bow down to me. It looks pretty much level. Water has a strange habit of moving when you push something through it. The water coming up on either side of your bow looks pretty like every other boat I see cruising around other than planing boats or semi-planng running at speed. How far up the water comes depends on speed and the shape of the hull. But I would by no means consider your boat to be plowing based on your photo.

This is our boat at eight knots and our boat has a much finer entry than yours, again judging by your photo. So the water is not pushed as high on either side of our bow by the forward motion of the boat.

And we've got 200' of chain stored right behind the stem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
... How far up the water comes depends on speed and the shape of the hull. ..

The Coot's bow isn't as fine as Marin's GB so the water comes up higher (here at 6.3 knots), and the Coot is slightly bow-light despite 200 feet of 3/8" chain.

Marin you seem to have some weight hanging of the extreme stern. What do you figure the dinghy and motor weigh? Coot is going to plough along at 6+ no mater what you put in the chain locker or on the stern. The bow wave reminds me of a tug going at max speed all the water is pushed forward most likely a full FD hull.

Last edited:
A 9' Livingston weighs about 160 pounds. The outboard weighs about 40 pounds. When we mounted the dinghy and motor some six months after buying the boat we did not notice any appreciable change in trim. If there was a change it was probably less than an inch judging by the narrow strip of bottom paint that has always shown between the water's surface and the bottom of the boot stripe.

The trim is changed more by the amount of water in the fresh water tanks. From full to empty (170 gallons) it changes the amount of bottom paint above the water level at the stern by an inch and a half by measurement.

mmmm and I just ordered 550 ft of 5/16 BBB chain for the inside passage trip at $3.19 a foot.

Yep, I've got the same thing sitting in the back of my pickup. :)

Im in Seward this week to play on the boat but the wind is 25 knots and its 20 degrees or so right now so im doing inside jobs, and staying warm. :blush:

Last edited:
Marin West marine lists 5/16 chain at .95lb/foot and 3/8 at 1.4lb/foot so your dinghy and motor could account for balancing up to 200 foot of chain in the bow. The weight in the extreme ends of the boat have the longest fulcrum in affecting for and aft attitude and hobby horse tendency. Even when balanced those end of fulcrum weights have detrimental affects which of course may not be apparent unless we talk Americas cup or other race and performance oriented craft.

The Coot's bow isn't as fine as Marin's GB so the water comes up higher (here at 6.3 knots), and the Coot is slightly bow-light despite 200 feet of 3/8" chain.

Mark,
You need to lift those fenders.. that should be good fo another .2 kt

Unless you were just getting rid of the Bay funk off the fenders..
:socool:
HOLLYWOOD

Mark,
You need to lift those fenders.. that should be good fo another .2 kt

Unless you were just getting rid of the Bay funk off the fenders..
:socool:
HOLLYWOOD

That's why I'm reluctant to display that photo. But not to worry, the fenders were brought aboard directly after the photo shoot. (My deck hand was more concerned taking photos of Mahalo Moi than taking in the fenders.) Be gentle, we had just left the bow-and-stern moorings at Ayala (Hospital) Cove at Angel Island. :blush:

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it, Mark. We see boats cruising around up here all the time with their fenders out, power and sail.. We leave ours out sometimes if we're not going far and don't want to bother pulling them up. At least yours appear to be the same color as the hull which is a classy way to go.

Two of the most powerful tugs on the coast are based in Bellingham or nearby, the Garth Foss and the Lindsey Foss. They often have fairly long runs to get to the ships they're going to be assisting. You don't see them taking in all their tires and bumpers for the cruise, right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Picture of our bow wave at about 8.2 knots. Location about 6 miles from Namu, BC

Sunchaser Aug 2010.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it, Mark. We see boats cruising around up here all the time with their fenders out, power and sail.. We leave ours out sometimes if we're not going far and don't want to bother pulling them up. At least yours appear to be the same color as the hull which is a classy way to go.

Two of the most powerful tugs on the coast are based in Bellingham or nearby, the Garth Foss and the Lindsey Foss. They often have fairly long runs to get to the ships they're going to be assisting. You don't see them taking in all their tires and bumpers for the cruise, right?

Drift....
Marin, while we were leaving our marina on Friday, the Garth Foss was sea trialing just off the breakwater. What a stunning piece of equipment. The stack was so large I could not believe it was the exhaust so I had to look up the boat. Yeah, it needs that stack for exhausting 8000 HP of cycloidal propulsion power. Wow....

Attachments

• Garth Foss.jpg
    Garth Foss.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 67
I wouldn't worry about it, Mark. ...

Greek tug with Liberty ship (now museum) in the left background on St. Nicholas day when all ships tooted their horns at the appointed hour. Don't most all tugs have a high bow-wave?

Last edited:
My gypsy is a combination and works equally well with chain or rope. The rope is an 8 braid nylon, and the chain is 5/16" G4. Great combination for Moonstruck. No noise at night, and the rope rode takes the shock off the cleats. Beside that rope doesn't rust.

Drift....
Marin, while we were leaving our marina on Friday, the Garth Foss was sea trialing just off the breakwater. What a stunning piece of equipment. The stack was so large I could not believe it was the exhaust so I had to look up the boat. Yeah, it needs that stack for exhausting 8000 HP of cycloidal propulsion power. Wow....

The Garth Foss has been up here for a number of years now. I don't know how the rotation with the Lindsey Foss works but we do occasionally see them on the pier together. But there's always one or the other here except when they're actually out assisting a vessel.

I can't find it quickly...but weight in the ends of a boat isn't always bad from what I have read.

It was something about being too light and affected too easily from wave forces...just don't recall the correct terminology.

Anyone have a good link to an explanation of end weight being good or bad? Tad if you are out there?

Yep, I've got the same thing sitting in the back of my pickup. :)

Im in Seward this week to play on the boat but the wind is 25 knots and its 20 degrees or so right now so im doing inside jobs, and staying warm. :blush:

The Admiral, being the Admiral asks: How are you going to get that barral down the dock without letting it roll in to the water? Me: a link at a time sweetheart, a link at a time! She was not impressed....:angel::rofl:

Stay warm my friend. Been in the 60-70 most of this and last week. rain returning this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom