Old 03-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The Coot's bow isn't as fine as Marin's GB so the water comes up higher (here at 6.3 knots), and the Coot is slightly bow-light despite 200 feet of 3/8" chain.

Mark,
You need to lift those fenders.. that should be good fo another .2 kt

Unless you were just getting rid of the Bay funk off the fenders..

HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Mark,
You need to lift those fenders.. that should be good fo another .2 kt

Unless you were just getting rid of the Bay funk off the fenders..

HOLLYWOOD
That's why I'm reluctant to display that photo. But not to worry, the fenders were brought aboard directly after the photo shoot. (My deck hand was more concerned taking photos of Mahalo Moi than taking in the fenders.) Be gentle, we had just left the bow-and-stern moorings at Ayala (Hospital) Cove at Angel Island.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
I wouldn't worry about it, Mark. We see boats cruising around up here all the time with their fenders out, power and sail.. We leave ours out sometimes if we're not going far and don't want to bother pulling them up. At least yours appear to be the same color as the hull which is a classy way to go.

Two of the most powerful tugs on the coast are based in Bellingham or nearby, the Garth Foss and the Lindsey Foss. They often have fairly long runs to get to the ships they're going to be assisting. You don't see them taking in all their tires and bumpers for the cruise, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	38115  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Picture of our bow wave at about 8.2 knots. Location about 6 miles from Namu, BC

Name:  Sunchaser Aug 2010.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  7.2 KB
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #25

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I wouldn't worry about it, Mark. We see boats cruising around up here all the time with their fenders out, power and sail.. We leave ours out sometimes if we're not going far and don't want to bother pulling them up. At least yours appear to be the same color as the hull which is a classy way to go.

Two of the most powerful tugs on the coast are based in Bellingham or nearby, the Garth Foss and the Lindsey Foss. They often have fairly long runs to get to the ships they're going to be assisting. You don't see them taking in all their tires and bumpers for the cruise, right?

Drift....
Marin, while we were leaving our marina on Friday, the Garth Foss was sea trialing just off the breakwater. What a stunning piece of equipment. The stack was so large I could not believe it was the exhaust so I had to look up the boat. Yeah, it needs that stack for exhausting 8000 HP of cycloidal propulsion power. Wow....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garth Foss.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	38117  
Old 03-10-2015, 12:36 AM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I wouldn't worry about it, Mark. ...
Greek tug with Liberty ship (now museum) in the left background on St. Nicholas day when all ships tooted their horns at the appointed hour. Don't most all tugs have a high bow-wave?

Old 03-10-2015, 12:54 AM   #27
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
My gypsy is a combination and works equally well with chain or rope. The rope is an 8 braid nylon, and the chain is 5/16" G4. Great combination for Moonstruck. No noise at night, and the rope rode takes the shock off the cleats. Beside that rope doesn't rust.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:18 AM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
Drift....
Marin, while we were leaving our marina on Friday, the Garth Foss was sea trialing just off the breakwater. What a stunning piece of equipment. The stack was so large I could not believe it was the exhaust so I had to look up the boat. Yeah, it needs that stack for exhausting 8000 HP of cycloidal propulsion power. Wow....
The Garth Foss has been up here for a number of years now. I don't know how the rotation with the Lindsey Foss works but we do occasionally see them on the pier together. But there's always one or the other here except when they're actually out assisting a vessel.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I can't find it quickly...but weight in the ends of a boat isn't always bad from what I have read.

It was something about being too light and affected too easily from wave forces...just don't recall the correct terminology.

Anyone have a good link to an explanation of end weight being good or bad? Tad if you are out there?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #30
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Yep, I've got the same thing sitting in the back of my pickup.

Im in Seward this week to play on the boat but the wind is 25 knots and its 20 degrees or so right now so im doing inside jobs, and staying warm.
The Admiral, being the Admiral asks: How are you going to get that barral down the dock without letting it roll in to the water? Me: a link at a time sweetheart, a link at a time! She was not impressed....

Stay warm my friend. Been in the 60-70 most of this and last week. rain returning this weekend.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
The Admiral, being the Admiral asks: How are you going to get that barral down the dock without letting it roll in to the water? Me: a link at a time sweetheart, a link at a time! She was not impressed....

Stay warm my friend. Been in the 60-70 most of this and last week. rain returning this weekend.
Thanks!

When I came down here it was 40

Now its in the teens! But, Alas it will warm up!

Today is the day to replace my old Purasan MSD with a new electro-scan with salt feed.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #32
keb

City: Portland, OR
Quote:
Yep, I've got the same thing sitting in the back of my pickup.

Im in Seward this week to play on the boat but the wind is 25 knots and its 20 degrees or so right now so im doing inside jobs, and staying warm.

Kevin,

A little thread drift here ... Having only spent time in Beautiful Alaska during the summer, it's hard to imagine that March weather compared to here, but what is acceptable outside temp for the Alaskan boater to work outside?

Kevin
Portland, OR
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by keb View Post
Kevin,

A little thread drift here ... Having only spent time in Beautiful Alaska during the summer, it's hard to imagine that March weather compared to here, but what is acceptable outside temp for the Alaskan boater to work outside?

Kevin
Portland, OR
Generally if its sunny, the 30's are OK but you need light gloves for any extended time. That's hoodie weather for me.

If its in the 40's especially if its sunny, that is a nice day to get things done.

As it is now, with highs in the 20's and windy I'm limiting my work outside to going to the truck, or the store for something. Yesterday I cut a piece of starboard using a skill saw in the cockpit and it was unpleasant.

Alaskans are weird. When it gets above 50 a good percentage, not everybody but a good percentage break out the shorts.

I've seen the jet skiers out the day the lake breaks up. Thats truly masochistic.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #34
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Generally if its sunny, the 30's are OK but you need light gloves for any extended time. That's hoodie weather for me.

If its in the 40's especially if its sunny, that is a nice day to get things done.

As it is now, with highs in the 20's and windy I'm limiting my work outside to going to the truck, or the store for something. Yesterday I cut a piece of starboard using a skill saw in the cockpit and it was unpleasant.

Alaskans are weird. When it gets above 50 a good percentage, not everybody but a good percentage break out the shorts.

I've seen the jet skiers out the day the lake breaks up. Thats truly masochistic.
If it hits 70, then we are in our cars with the A/C cranked up.....

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote