Old 05-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #41
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
I havent been using my aft shower so I put some clorox in the sump for smell. My rule float switch failed the next time I used it. Maybe the clorox ate up the seals letting water inside. I thought it was a fluke so I put some more clorox in the fwd shower sump and started using the aft shower. This time I didnt use as much clorox, and to my amazement it failed too. I think it might have been my fault adding the clorox. I just wonder what other chemicals harm these float switches?
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #42
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnawake View Post
I think it might have been my fault adding the clorox. I just wonder what other chemicals harm these float switches?
My Microphor type II Marine sanitation system has an accumulator tank and pump at the outflow. My partner tried twice to replace the submerged $200 Microphor pump with a $20 350 gph Rule bilge pump ("they look the same!") before he figured out the chlorine from the sanitizer was eating up the seals in short order. Any strong chemicals such as chlorine, dish washer soap, or solvents will take a toll on bilge pumps.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #43
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I used distilled white vinegar in my sumps to very good effect. Would actually pour it down the sink and shower drains to give them a cleaning on the way to the sump. The sump serving our master stateroom had a simple Rule switch in it for 5 years of full time live aboard use; it was still working when I proactively changed it out.

Distilled vinegar is one of those cheap simple wonder products, like aspirin. Great to pour down the heads on a regular basis and for many cleaning/freshening chores such as bilges.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #44
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
. Sumps, I suppose you could go cheap, but on my boat the sumps also act as high water back-ups.

How do your sumps act as high water back-ups? Aren't they in sealed boxes?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #45
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
How do your sumps act as high water back-ups? Aren't they in sealed boxes?
No, they are in open-topped boxes whose lip is right above the bilges. If the sump's pump/switch fails, it over flows into a bilge. If the water in the bilge gets high enough, it flows into the sump. While it's a nice and thoughtful design, a "true" high water back up is mounted at a level closer to that of the high water alarm, and of more capacity than the 2000GPH in the sumps. But why not have all the help you can get?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #46

Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
I use "Clean Potties" (CP) in my shower sump when I leave the boat. Peggy recommended this as a way to keep the sumps clean and odor free. I just wonder is this may be aggregating my failed float switch problems?
I don't use chlorine bleach. I know that will shrink rubber seals.

Thank you for the feedback on the best float switches to purchase. Sounds like my experience with Rule switches is pretty universal.

Taras
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #47
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
I use "Clean Potties" (CP) in my shower sump when I leave the boat. I just wonder is this may be aggregating my failed float switch problems?
Hmmm!! Read the MSDS Data Sheet for the product. If there is no bleach, solvents, oil lye or caustic soda, I wouldn't think it would be a problem. But I use el cheapo Rule/West Marine float switches myself and as long as the bilge stays clean, I don't seem to have a problem with switches or pumps. If you're losing switches very often, then somethings is getting to them??