Old 08-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
It's not about hurt feelings and we have NO IDEA why his speed was high (there might be a reason).

No one EVER takes all the precautions necessary and if one was missed/skipped...the root cause is WHY?...

Speed and not paying attention could be because of a passenger injury prior to the collision.

Didn't react accordingly isn't a cause necessarily... but be caused by what caused 1 and 2 ....and could continue to cause 3 or what Sunchaser posted...3 may have been unrecoverable too quickly for the average boater.

Argue? Nah...discuss what I know and don't...I leave the "don't know" for others and will just wait for the facts.

If you try to debrief and learn from bad assumptions...you only continue off into never never land.....

Now if you want to make the resultant accident into a case study and make up a bunch of parameters...then go for it because everyone guessing at what happened is already 1/2 way there.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #22
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I think I found the reason why the boat crashed.....

"Constable Chris Nordlund with Coquitlam RCMP says in this case, the driver apparently wasn’t paying attention when the boat crashed around 1:30pm, sending four of the 16 people on-board to hospital with relatively minor injuries."

Sixteen people? Operator inattention? Drinking?

Hmmmmmmm.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post

"Constable Chris Nordlund with Coquitlam RCMP says in this case, the driver apparently wasn’t paying attention when the boat crashed around 1:30pm, sending four of the 16 people on-board to hospital with relatively minor injuries."

Sixteen people? Operator inattention? Drinking?

Hmmmmmmm.
original post...for what it's worth...said alcohol DID NOT seem to be a factor...not sure if that changed.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #24

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: All Night Long
Vessel Model: Regal 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
original post...for what it's worth...said alcohol DID NOT seem to be a factor...not sure if that changed.
Also said speed was not a factor but that seems to get thrown in there too. Easier just to assume I guess.
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:58 PM   #25
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post

Yeah me too!! Judging by the uninjured members of his crew. . I would say it was totally caused by distraction!! I know where I would be looking!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheerleaders-bikini.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	32007  
Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Also said speed was not a factor but that seems to get thrown in there too. Easier just to assume I guess.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #27
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Actually, double slow trawler speed is beneficial when traversing currents and eddys when your vessels rudders (58 Meridian) are sized for a normal design cruise speed of 14 to 18 knots.

I've traversed the same area at 25 knots in stronger currents and barely felt a nudge.

This incident has garnered more TF attention than it has in Vancouver where stupid boat tricks, warm sunny days and party time are not uncommon. Except for today's rain, another ten great weather days await us in lower BC as the last days of summer bring out fascinating distress calls.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #28

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Model: 50' Gulf Commander
An update

Yacht crashes into CN second narrows rail bridge - News - North Shore News

A yacht owner has been ticketed and several people have been treated in hospital after crashing into the CN rail bridge at the Second Narrows.
Vancouver Police Department and Coquitlam RCMP's marine patrol units as well as the Canadian Coast Guard all responded just after 1:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon when a distress call went out over the radio. According to Coquitlam RCMP, who are investigating the case, the 58-foot Meridian yacht was headed east through the second narrows when it went off course and plowed into the south concrete piling.
The collision was hard enough to knock all 15 passengers on board off their feet, with four of them requiring treatment at Lions Gate Hospital, according to Cpl. Jamie Chung, Coquitlam RCMP spokesperson. One of the passengers suffered a broken arm in the fall.
According to Port Metro Vancouver, the movable rail bridge has since been inspected and is back in operation.
The captain and owner of the boat has been ticketed under the Canada Shipping Act, Chung said. He was away from the helm and relying on his autopilot at the time of the crash, according to Grant Drummond, a boating consultant and dealer who was on the Cates Park dock and spoke to the passengers when the Coast Guard and VPD brought the injured in.
"I talked to the wife. She was pretty beside herself, obviously. No one wants to be in a situation like that," Drummond said. "For us as advocates and members of the marine industry, it's a sad thing to see."
Rather than being at the controls, the owner was allegedly on the deck with his guests, most of them girls in their teens who were celebrating a birthday party, Drummond said. By the time he made it to the wheel, it was too late.
The extreme currents that flow through the Second Narrows are strong enough to pull even large yachts off course if they are simply relying on autopilot, Drummond said.
"When the tide is ripping hard - and it was a huge tide that day - what happens is you get hugely turbulent waters. You get big whirlpools and it's a very hazardous, small little stretch of water as the water gets funneled though that bottleneck," he said. "It's a miracle, just a miracle, that no one was killed and no one went overboard because that front end is just totally mangled."
Those same currents would prove even more treacherous for someone in the water, he added.
"If one of those girls had gone overboard, you probably wouldn't have seen her again. She'd be gone. That current can suck a giant tree under and spit it out 50 feet down stream or up stream," he said.
The boat was named Hakuna Matata - a phrase meaning "No worries" as referenced in Disney's The Lion King.
It would have been worth about $700,000, but Drummond suspects it is now a write-off.

© North Shore News
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #29
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir View Post
...Rather than being at the controls, the owner was allegedly on the deck with his guests, most of them girls in their teens who were celebrating a birthday party...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir View Post
"I talked to the wife. She was pretty beside herself, obviously.
This has gone from bad to worse!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:46 AM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Sunchaser for the win!
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Going under a bridge on autopilot? Now, if I were reading a book and the author put something like that in it, I would laugh out loud at such a stupid flight of fancy that very obviously would never be true in real life. Guess life really is stranger than fiction!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #32
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
The captain and owner of the boat has been ticketed under the Canada Shipping Act, Chung said. He was away from the helm and relying on his autopilot at the time of the crash,
I think there was a discussion on the safety of autopilots here not too long ago. Obviously, this guy didn't read the manual and is lacking in common sense. I'm sure he is not the only one out there who sets his boat on auto pilot and heaves the helm. You don't need to be smart to own a boat you just need money.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #33
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Going under a bridge on autopilot? Now, if I were reading a book and the author put something like that in it, I would laugh out loud at such a stupid flight of fancy that very obviously would never be true in real life. Guess life really is stranger than fiction!
I bet more people use their autopilots going under bridges than don't. That's not the first photo I've seen of sunk and damaged boats from hitting bridges especially on the Hudson River. Even on narrow twisty rivers I see people just tweaking the ap remote.You might be shocked by how many commercial jets are flown totally on AP from take off to landings.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #34
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I don't believe it is the fault of the autopilot.. or use of it. It is the lack of keeping a watch that is the issue. I run most of the time under autopilot most of the time unless in traffic or currents. The dude was a moron to set the pilot and not keep a adequate watch...

more that likely a dirty old man oogling the girls!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
I bet more people use their autopilots going under bridges than don't.
Hmmm. Perhaps I just have a different view of bridges. All the ones that I am used to do not have all that much clearance between the columns, and most of them have a lot of side currents and water disturbance from the current hitting the columns. No idea, of course, what the particular bridge in this instance was like. I suppose that I would go under the Golden Gate bridge with the autopilot on.

But, as someone else has said, the real problem was almost certainly consorting with the girls, rather than paying attention. A pleasant diversion, no doubt. But there is a time and a place for everything.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #36
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
On AP under a bridge. Cross currents around bridge. No one at helm. Classic.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #37

City: Fulton, Missouri
Vessel Name: Attitude Adjustment
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
I also spend the majority of my time underway on autopilot, but I'm in the vicinity of the helm, keeping an eye on things! And I usually hand steer under bridges because the large amounts of metal in them will affect the autopilot compass and frequently alter your course if on autopilot.
micksbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #38
Guru

City: Georgia
And you might could cut some slack if this was a transient. But if this was his home water, he should have known about the current and eddies around the bridge.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Always seems like the current sucks one toward bridge piers.

CalTrans bridge inspectors docked at bridge pier:

Old 08-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #40
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Is it possible that a beer or two with lunch clouded this guy's decision making ability?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote