Old 12-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOJOURN4 View Post
I was on the other side of Spa Creek when the fire broke out. East side of building pretty much gutted. Building frame and roof still standing. West side (Entrance) did not suffer fire damage - but lots of water/smoke.
Where did they display their trophies and such items?. Any word on their demise?
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Yeah. That's going to be the sad part. The building is one thing, but all the memories.....
Old 12-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
There was a big refit in the mid 90's....... they had their chance.
Saw the Governor of Maryland, Larry Hogan, on TV reacting to the loss. He stated that the State will do everything it can, whatever that is, to help the club rebuild. So, let me see, a private club, membership in which is closed to the public, may receive public funds for rebuilding? Why? That's what insurance is for. And, if the insurance is not enough, so what. Let the membership pay. My taxes should not have to pay for a private club whose membership is limited to only those who are accepted by the membership. And this guy is a Republican!
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
The state could expedite the permitting process by getting some agencies off their back and maybe cutting the graft that Maryland is known for.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The state could expedite the permitting process by getting some agencies off their back and maybe cutting the graft that Maryland is known for.
Graft? In Maryland? Surely you jest. I once attended a zoning hearing at which the judge told a builder that he should prepare for an appeal of an adverse decision. Two days later the zoning variance was approved. In the meantime what changed this judge's mind? I don't know but I know what think. What do you think? But, you are correct. Greasing the ways through the permitting process would be a good thing. The permitting process in Anne Arundel County is incredibly difficult. Reasons? Speculation? I'll leave that to others.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #26
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Truth is, with modern permitting requirements a lot of buildings we have now would never have been built. The cost of the permits required now are probably more than the original construction costs of a lot of those buildings. Insurance companies probably do their best to mitigate their liability for buildings that don't meet current codes in ways other than just jacking up the rates. I would imagine you don't get a "new building" out of your insurance for your 60 years old "historic" business (or club). Just saying'... And I would bet a 50-60 year old building on the waterfront is considered historic to most folks.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
Truth is, with modern permitting requirements a lot of buildings we have now would never have been built. The cost of the permits required now are probably more than the original construction costs of a lot of those buildings. Insurance companies probably do their best to mitigate their liability for buildings that don't meet current codes in ways other than just jacking up the rates. I would imagine you don't get a "new building" out of your insurance for your 60 years old "historic" business (or club). Just saying'... And I would bet a 50-60 year old building on the waterfront is considered historic to most folks.
A new building paid for by insurance? It would depend on if they had a replacement value policy or a depreciated value policy. My bet is on replacement value. Of course, when anyone builds new it is usually better with added features. Therefore more expensive. I somehow think an assessment on the membership will probably be in the offing.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
If there is any county in the country that I'd expect to have difficulty getting permitted, they're in it. There are so many issues they'll have to address that will influence what they can build. Not knowing the financial situation of the club or their insurance, I have no idea if they'll be able to rebuild or not anytime soon. Assessments of members to help fund a new facility are a difficult path.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #29
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
If there is any county in the country that I'd expect to have difficulty getting permitted, they're in it. There are so many issues they'll have to address that will influence what they can build. Not knowing the financial situation of the club or their insurance, I have no idea if they'll be able to rebuild or not anytime soon. Assessments of members to help fund a new facility are a difficult path.
You are correct on all accounts. (can't speak on county issues)
However unless they have large reserves I would think it is unlikely that the members will not see some form of an assessment. That's the way it is in a private club.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #30
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Saw the Governor of Maryland, Larry Hogan, on TV reacting to the loss. He stated that the State will do everything it can, whatever that is, to help the club rebuild. So, let me see, a private club, membership in which is closed to the public, may receive public funds for rebuilding? Why? That's what insurance is for. And, if the insurance is not enough, so what. Let the membership pay. My taxes should not have to pay for a private club whose membership is limited to only those who are accepted by the membership. And this guy is a Republican!
Want to bet which way the majority of the yacht club members vote?

I mean really, are you surprised when a member of either party knows what side of his bread gets buttered and by whom?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote