Old 04-28-2015, 06:22 AM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Hi Peter and thanks for the response. However you make it sound like Dans set only one out of every four times whereas in reality they probably set in one out of 100. And once set the holding power of a Dan is good. Some new anchors are "scope specific" though. I'm anxious to see how my Supreme sets w/o it's roll bar. Would like to find an average bottom to do some "setting" .. does sound like work though.
Eric, small but important point of order…but I made no remark about the set percentage of the Danforth, but did you really mean it only sets about once in a 100 tries..? That sounds a bit harsh, even for a Danforth. I had one on my yacht, and it did better than that, but did not do well when a fluke tip picked up a shell, plastic bag, tin can, or other rubbish on the bottom.

Also, I too am very interested to hear how your bar-less Manson Supreme sets sans roll bar.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #42
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
An anchor survey of TF members local marina would be interesting. I did quick survey a while back, but don't have the exact numbers with me.

From memory, the Marsh stockless anchor (what I use) was about equal in popularity with admiralty anchors (each about 25%). After that Rocna's were 3rd most popular at about 20%.

A local survey may indicate a local trend for no particular good reason, but it may say something about the local bottom and the anchor required for that environment.

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #43
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
An anchor survey of TF members local marina would be interesting. I did quick survey a while back, but don't have the exact numbers with me.

From memory, the Marsh stockless anchor (what I use) was about equal in popularity with admiralty anchors (each about 25%). After that Rocna's were 3rd most popular at about 20%.

A local survey may indicate a local trend for no particular good reason, but it may say something about the local bottom and the anchor required for that environment.
You'll also find out how many anchors never get wet. In the grand scheme of boating, there is a very small percentage of boaters that actually anchor out overnite.

windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote