Old 01-30-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
Guru

AnchorRescue

For those attending the Seattle boat show indoor upper floor way in back corner there is a small display with a system for retrieving a stuck anchor(Anchor Rescue). Have a look and come back with your thoughts. I was manning the CGAUX booth today and noticed the display I think the system has some merit. I will be at the CG booth Sunday morning(1/31) come bye and say hallo.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
How about a name for the system so we can check it out online? Thanks, Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:58 AM   #3

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
"Anchor Rescue"

HOME - AnchorRescue anchor retrieval
Old 01-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I think it's actually called Anchor Rescue...

HOME - AnchorRescue anchor retrieval
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Diesel Duck beat me to it by 2 minutes
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Guru

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
Guru

TF'ers must be overwhelming their website. It won't load for me.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
You can buy a lot of floats and line for $229.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
You can buy a lot of floats and line for $229.
True but we have some crowded anchorages where the floats are not appreciated. For most trawlers a one time $229 is well like none existent. I am not pushing the product just asking for opinions and since it is so new there may not be any experience out there. For those who see it at the Seattle boat show what do you think?
Old 01-31-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I wouldn't like that chain alongside my shank to impede penetration.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I carry about a 2 foot length of 5/16 chain that I would make into a loop with a shackle and tie a length of line to it. If the anchor was stuck the anchor line should be tight so dropping this chain loop on the anchor rode, it should drop to the bottom. Then I can get into the dinghy and pull from the opposite direction and hopefully break it clear.

That's the theory anyway. I've never had to try it yet.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Looks fine to me. A bit overcomplicated for what other means can be rigged for those real occasional times....

If in an area of a lot of snags, sure I might give it a try. I don't see any issues with my anchor or roller setup where it would be a problem...I also don't see it hindering anchor performance to any great degree. Would love to see one of the "anchor setting videos" of it to make sure.

My only complaint is that of your chain got covered in stucky mud...just how likely it would be to get the release to connect with it. The answer could be on the website...just didn't see it.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have used the chain loop mentioned by Windmist in post #11, once , my 45 lb Delta was stuck fast on an ancient log or maybe a discarded pipe (oil field area) I was looking for my hacksaw when I remembered hearing of the method. Using the windlass I pulled the anchor chain up tight, put the chain loop on a rope around it, the loop went straight down to and over the anchor shank. I slacked off on the anchor chain (so the shank would lie back down horizontal) and just a bit on the rope with the loop, I signaled for my wife to drive forward a bit and the anchor came loose. This was after about an hour of pulling in every direction I could, slacking, tightening, etc. It was the very first time I had used that brand new anchor. Anyway, the method worked like a charm, the water was not deep but it was cold.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I wouldn't like that chain alongside my shank to impede penetration.
I had the same thought about the chain and wonder why they don't use a thin ss wire. I also wonder if mud would cause a problem fouling the hook up between the sender collar and the lower unit. What I have been doing is storing a very large heavy shackle like 6 inches across to use like a chain loop hoping to be able to lower it down onto the shank of the anchor for retrieval. I am thinking I might have to do this from the dinghy to get a good angle to haul anchor out backward. So far I have not had the need to do so. What I have experienced is a winch failure with more chain and anchor down then I could easily haul aboard. I do carry a three part block and tackle but still that would be a major messy job. What I did was slip the whole rig chain and line with a boy attached. Then I went for repair and returned and retrieved rig. I always carry a light aluminum anchor very short chain and plait rode to use if the windless goes south.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:24 PM   #15
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Thanks Steve. That sounds good slacking off after getting the loop around the anchor and then using the big boats power to pull from the opposite direction. I still hope I never have to try it.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #16
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
I carry about a 2 foot length of 5/16 chain that I would make into a loop with a shackle and tie a length of line to it. If the anchor was stuck the anchor line should be tight so dropping this chain loop on the anchor rode, it should drop to the bottom. Then I can get into the dinghy and pull from the opposite direction and hopefully break it clear.

That's the theory anyway. I've never had to try it yet.

I use a Fortress FX-37 and that has been my plan if it ever snags something and the windlass won't pull it in.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have used a huge shackle (30ton rated) to deanchor other boats about 5 or 6 times when we were on patrol. It works great if you do it properly. The other boat (the one with the fouled anchor) must have the anchor rode tight. As the shackle slides down the rode, you can feel it bump down over the chain if you keep a little tension on the tow line. You have to be careful that you get the shackle seated fully onto the anchor and not just on the rode. If the shackle is not seated properly, when you pull, the shackle will ride up back to the surface and will pull the fouled boat towards your boat. We usually could get the anchor right up to the surface after it broke loose if the anchor was not too large. You just need to take it slow and easy. Keep an eye on the tow line when you are getting underway to make sure that the shackle is not just riding back up the anchor rode of the fouled anchor. We no longer train on this because someone (somewhere else) lost a couple of fingers when their shackle rode up and they tried to grab it so it would not damage the boat.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote