Old 05-07-2017, 05:43 AM   #21
Guru

The new style anchors typically do not break out as the tide changes. Photo evidence proves that they Shuffle around never becoming uncovered. Oftentimes the anchor does not even move
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:20 AM   #22
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
That doesn't help if you're not doing it right. Study how an anchor works. Study the effects of scope. Study properly setting an anchor. Then go out and do it.
Does the phrase "Trial and error" ring a bell.

That's how I learned, about forty years ago.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"The Bahamian moor has fallen out of favor int he past decade. I suspect it is becasue the new spade anchors have proved to be so efficient, but you practically never see anyone doing the Bahamian moor except the derelict boats in So Florida."

We almost always use a stern anchor led to the bow for O nite anchoring.

It takes so little time and effort , 2 -3 min, that not doing it,, then worrying all nite seems foolish.

The system with our 50 ft Lobster boat is a 20H Danforth is tossed off the stern with a 5 ft chain leader , the rest is 3/8 or 7/16 nylon .

The coiled line is walked to the bow and the anchor simply set by tugging on it.

A few extra fathoms are uncoiled (depending on water depth) and the line secured.

DONE

In the AM the coil of line is unwound from the anchor line if needed and walked to the stern.

AS the stern will mostly be over where the anchor was dropped a tug usually is all that's needed to retrieve it.

DONE

The big advantage is the very same technique works in crowded mooring areas of the NE.

Our bow anchor is a 60# Danforth or CQR ,5 ft of chain, as I am not a fan of majic watch fobs , and its no effort to retrieve with a hyd capstan .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #24
Guru

Best way to sleep well is to get the biggest Rocna-type anchor your windlass can manage and put out a lot of chain scope. We typically put out 7-10 times scope to depth whenever there was room. With enough scope, it is the chain that changes direction, not the anchor.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Yes, it is taken for granted that modern anchors quickly reset after a reversing current or strong wind shifts. There are videos showing this unique feature offered with modern anchors.

So after all the videos, how could this happen? What the tests lack is trying to reset an anchor filled with mud! In my case, I had to pull the anchor up and clean the mud off with a boat hook. So do not be fooled by advertising hype.
Which is why Sarca anchors did not go for the now popular concave spade type fluke shape, for the very reason Foggysail just described. If you view the anchor-setting videos by Steve on Panope, you will not see a Sarca fail to set once in reversing situations, and he tested that function, big time.

So, if you wish to sleep well at anchor, get a Sarca, Excel or Super, (now also available in the US), set it properly, then sleep tight. I have never dragged since I did, and here in Moreton Bay, Queensland, we are always anchoring in channels which have quite strong reversing currents every tide change. I don't even bother with an anchor alarm, but do do a quick check about twice a night when nature calls. Just sayin'...
Old 05-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #26
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
You have a pretty large vessel. Get a Rocna #55 and you should be in good shape. BUT if you are like me I always drop a fortress anchor first on a 10' 3/4" three strand ran under the Rocna roll bar and shackled to the float hole on the shank. As I'm backing down the fortress goes in first followed by the Rocna on an all chain rode.
WHY?
I have hooked a crab trap and dragged 800' in the night.
A close friend of mine anchored in the Dry Tortugas and when the wind changed his anchor turned and scooped a basket ball size piece of coral. The boat dragged into the beach and became a total loss when pulled off.
AND
I sleep like a baby.
NO
In five trips up the east coast from Florida to Long Island Sound the two anchors have never fouled.
Happy Cruising.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #27
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Hi Scott

8 knots? That was after a few health drinks. 😁

My old Danforth and Bruce would both drag under certain circumstances but the new "modern" anchor has been 100%.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #28
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
Yes, I believe most of us have "been there and done that". I recall my first few experiences overnighting at anchor and I never slept well. Experience and an anchor alarm has made a huge difference.
Yes. Sleep will come with experience. A few things I now do:
I never reset a set anchor. Or at least not after the first time I did it and then ended up with an unset anchor.
I also don't use anchor alarms anymore. Why, because I've learned that they either turn themselves off (yes, could be an ANdroid issue) or when I get int he dingy the next morning and am walking in town, it finally goes off or it simply wakes me up about 100 times for every time the anchor actually dragged.

Oh, my Delta anchor has actually only dragged once in the last three years.

Therefore my sleep is more valuable.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
while drag queen works ok, I added a small Garmin gpsmap540 to the lower helm. This is for anchor watch duty and backup to the Garmin 5212 plotter. Self contained and only uses 0.3 amps instead of 3.8 amps. The plot of our track drawing a circle around the anchor is easy to comprehend out of a sleep. I usually wake up several times per night anyway so its a quick check to verify position.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #30
Guru

The bigger the prostate, the easier to keep anchor watch!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #31
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
I'm surprised nobody has suggested setting two anchors. Sounds like a classic case for a Bahamian mooring. Not that hard to set, and very little swing, so you can set a tight anchor watch.
Jeff F, I was in a similar situation to the OP. I was anchoring in one of the narrow channels just north of Golden Isles off the ICW. Thinking about the reversing currents I set a Bahamian mooring. This would have been fine in a wide channel. The problem occurs when you can't get the two rodes tight enough to keep the boat in a perfectly straight line. All was well for a few hours then I felt the boat bump bottom. We were just far enough out of the center of the channel to bump on the edge. It was dark, windy, and the fast current starting running. Of course when the current picked up it pulled us back to the middle with a little swinging. I had a real mess on the deck when I started to retrieve the lines. Gray mud was all over everything including me.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #32
Guru

Hi Don

I use to use a Bahamiam moore quite often with a Danforth and in the Bahamas where current rus between two islands. The problem is when you use it and other boats don't. Creates boats banging into each other at the current change.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #33
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
the bigger the prostate, the easier to keep anchor watch!!
How true
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #34
Guru

So what you are saying is before going on an extended boat trip that will include anchoring stay off my meds???
Old 05-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
If you're going to get up, start the engines and reset the anchor (in the dark) every time the direction of the current changes (every six hours), you would be better off staying at marinas.

Make sure you have a good anchor and 30' or more of heavy chain, set a scope of seven to one or more and head into the current as you set the anchor. Cleat the rode and back down under power. Set the anchor drag alarm on your GPS accounting for the swing when the current reverses.
I said "if you're worried".
For the most part IMO all will go well if the bottom is good.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:51 AM   #36
FF
Guru

"All was well for a few hours then I felt the boat bump bottom. We were just far enough out of the center of the channel to bump on the edge"

Centering the rudder will frequently solve this problem , with little effort.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:30 AM   #37
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
You learn to trust your anchor, or you change to one you can trust.

I don't bother with anchor alarms but I do wake up if conditions change. I normally wake up at the change of tide. It's very rare for us to share an anchorage with another boat, so there is always room to use lots of scope.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:51 AM   #38
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
One of the night we spent at anchor in our favorite spot, we went to sleep in a nice warm weather, and in the middle of the night I woke up hearing the noise of a strong wind, I went out on the bridge and the wind was blowing like hell, the boat was bouncing from one side to another and in the opposite direction in which we set the anchor. This scared me so I stayed up looking for any drag but the boat did not move an inch so I went back to sleep 1h later. From that day I sleep well and know that in that area my anchor is holding very very well if correctly set. I guess that like anything else, confidence comes with experience. Be confident enough to sleep, but not too much so you can keep good security practices.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
You learn to trust your anchor, or you change to one you can trust.

I don't bother with anchor alarms but I do wake up if conditions change. I normally wake up at the change of tide. It's very rare for us to share an anchorage with another boat, so there is always room to use lots of scope.
You hit upon a major point and that is no other boats and lot's of room. That's not always possible though and when it's not the entire situation changes completely. It's not my anchor I don't trust, it's all the other boats and anchors. I can control my own boat but lack control on all the others.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote