Old 10-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamanoFolks View Post
With the anchor chain hanging down in a loop between the bow and the chain hook when the boat swings the chain loop fetches up against the snubber. .
We let our chain grab plate down on our V-bridle snubber about ten feet or more under the water. We then feed out a long loop of chain that we let hang down to perhaps 15 or 20 feet under the water. The chain hangs straight down from the pulpit and then comes back up to the chain grab.

Even when the boat yaws back and forth, no chain gets near the two lines of the V-bridle because the only part of the chain loop that is between the bridle legs is the first section, the one dropping straight down from the pulpit.

As the boat moves around, the relative positions of the chain dropping down from the pulpit and the two legs of the bridle never change no matter which direction the boat is pointing. So they never come in contact with each other and I'm not sure that they ever even could.

But perhaps the positioning situation is different on other bow configurations.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Here's a 40' Nordhavn with one. I think it's more common than you think.

It's not even remotely "common". Just look around most any anchorage. You very rarely see it.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Preferred by whom?? You? So that in an emergency it can't be reached from deck? This is a horrible idea and one I've never seen anyone use.

If you start dragging, your %$%@#@
No, if done correctly you don't have any of those problems.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We run a 3 strand snubber through the bow eye then back up, so when deployed its pulling the boat from the eye, but is adjustable from the bow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444958931.185457.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	45483
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
It's not even remotely "common". Just look around most any anchorage. You very rarely see it.
Looking out the pilot house window yesterday afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
002.jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #26

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
I like the looks of this and have one on order along with our new Mantus anchor:

Mantus Anchors | Mantus Chain Hook - Mantus Anchors

Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:29 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Looking out the pilot house window yesterday afternoon.
Note, I didn't say you never see it. But you know as well as I that that you rarely see it compared to the standard set up.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Whimsy
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Don't think I mentioned a bow eye, just the loop of chaining hanging down from the bow pulpit to the chain snubber. That said I have seen numerous boats with a bow eye. On some I noticed that they had a loop of line that ran from cleats on either side of the bow pulpit. To deploy the chain snubber one leg of the loop attached to the anchor chain the other was kept tied off to the boat. Would be easy to adjust and retrieve. Never used one but seemed like a useful idea. Don't think it would be any more of a problem if you drag than casting off a double snubber arraignment. Besides, if one had the choice, who would anchor where dragging would put the boat in danger?
CamanoFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
jlenord and boatpoker,
I've been thinking of trying this and now certianly will.
Thanks

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:11 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Besides, if one had the choice, who would anchor where dragging would put the boat in danger?
And in a perfect world, the wind would never clock 180, all your anchorages would be empty ones, no one would anchor to close or down wind of you, etc., etc.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #31
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
I've mentioned this before, but it won't hurt to repeat our experience with either a double or single snubber. We have used a double on a KK42 that has a tendency to swing more than other trawlers. With the anchor chain hanging down in a loop between the bow and the chain hook when the boat swings the chain loop fetches up against the snubber. Trying to sleep while the chain links go bong, bong, bong on a taught snubber is only for the dead. After three days of that experience we never used a double snubber setup again. Perhaps if the snubber line had been of larger diameter the noise would have been less but then that defeats the purpose of an "elastic" snubber. YMMV.
Thank you for putting my own sentiments into words.

And i had not thought about just using a single line. I will give it a try.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Whimsy
Vessel Model: Camano 31
By the way, Marin is correct in that the bow configuration is a major factor in how snubbers work on various boats. I tried numerous double snubber configurations on the Krogen and could never find a solution until we went to a single. I did forget to say that our bad experience did involve 40+ knots of wind.
CamanoFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #33
Guru

I've seen several boats with the bow eye snubber. If I had a bow eye I'd try it that way. I see advantages.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #34
Guru

I think every place I have ever anchored I could be in trouble if I dragged. Maybe a few exceptions but not many
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Hearsay I know, but why are snubbers as described in most quarters even necessary? Are our boats designed with a weak link permitting the bow to pull off in a 10 knot gale? How about those of us that don't care how noisy the front quarters are?

So these basic musings raise the subject of why are not all the commercial fishing boats lying at anchor not using long droop in the water snubbers? How about the plus 75' yachts I have been on not hanging a little rope off the bow attached to an anchor chain 30 feet down? How about the few tens of thousands of 30 foot SeaRays lying at anchor all over the interior lakes without a snubber?

Why do those with a rope rode not use a snubber? Is a truly necessary snubber nothing more than a short strong line to affix the anchor chain to a stout part of the boat?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Indeed Tom.

With my mostly nylon line rode I have no use for a snubber at all.
The snubber is to overcome a problem associated w using a chain rode.
And unless you're in a screaming gale there's plenty of catenary in the chain rode to absorb the shock loads.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser
Hearsay I know, but why are snubbers as described in most quarters even necessary?
So, someone has spoken the unspeakable.
I would like to know how many homegrown BCers who spend most of their time on the hook, be it all chain or not, who regularly use a snubber.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
So, someone has spoken the unspeakable.
I would like to know how many homegrown BCers who spend most of their time on the hook, be it all chain or not, who regularly use a snubber.
I'm willing to bet very few who use line as their rode use a snubber.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #39
Guru

City: Miami
It's all about catenary.
Snubbers only need be there when catenary isn't. Catenary can disappear if either one of two properties of the rode is not sufficient. Scope ratio and the chain's wetted weight. The reason you don't see ships and commercial guys using snubbers is because they use lots of really heavy chain or wire when they anchor. If the wind straightens it out they let out more which is also why you don't see them in crowded anchorages. Using a bow eye snubber allows us to anchor using much less rode which reduces our swing radius. Our bow roller to keel distance is almost 20', which means if there is 6" of water under the keel and we anchor using 5:1, our swing diameter is over a football field.

Spell check via iPhone.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #40

City: Bradenton, FL
Vessel Name: Coconuts
Vessel Model: 1996 49' Krogen Express
Anchoring Question

I use twin snubbers simply to keep the pressure off the windlass once anchor and chain is deployed. I usually relieve the chain of any pressure between snubber hook and windlass and all is good. Snubber lines are 5/8".
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote