Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 PM   #61
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
Bruce,

I bought a chain hook from Muirs a month or so ago - it hooks onto the chain and has a large loop at the rear - plenty of room to attach two good size ropes - need to do the rope work yourself though.
George, I have a chain hook I use, and it works, I`d prefer a plate which "cups" the chain, better distributing (I think) the load. I saw the product you have on Muirs site, it`s much like what I have.
For the snubber agnostics/haters, if you don`t see a benefit, don`t have one.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:02 AM   #62
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafesport View Post
It's all about catenary.
Snubbers only need be there when catenary isn't. Catenary can disappear if either one of two properties of the rode is not sufficient. Scope ratio and the chain's wetted weight. Spell check via iPhone.
Last month we were anchored in near gale force winds which lasted for a few hours. Our V bridle snubber was stretched "fairly" taut while hooked onto the 3/8 chain. Would not the chain be equally taut whether the snubber is there or not?

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:20 AM   #63
Scraping Paint

City: -
Bruce-- You can get a chain grab plate like the one I think you are talking about from Fisheries Supply. Or you could have one fabricated by a local machine shop. The plate pictured is called a "chain gripper."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	45586  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:44 AM   #64
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Last month we were anchored in near gale force winds which lasted for a few hours. Our V bridle snubber was stretched "fairly" taut while hooked onto the 3/8 chain. Would not the chain be equally taut whether the snubber is there or not?
The chain will be relatively taut, but the stretch of the line is better than it being hard attached to the boat, not just better for the boat (and the attachment point thereon) but for the anchor itself in staying set.

Our snubber bridle looks like the one Marin pictures:

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:54 AM   #65
FF
Guru

Many times a snubber is used to make up for the crap work from the boat assembler in not having a chain stopper to secure the vessel.

Its poor practice to use the windlass, so even folks whose boats do nor blow all over are required to do the snubber dance.

http://www.idealwindlass.com/new_page_5.htm
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #66
Guru

Chain stopper does not replace the functions of the shubber other than protection of the windlass.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 10-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #67

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Liberty
Vessel Model: 57 foot Halvorsen
I have to agree with comments from Bruce K and caltexflanc, the snubber so have three purposes, with the main idea to take pressure off the anchor to assist it to stay in place by gradually applying a load in gusts and then easing off again, rather than a sudden stop, as chain will not give.

Why do anchor and winch manufacturers offer such a range of productsin relation to snubber so and attachments to chains, if there was no market or need for them ?
Liberty2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #68
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post

Our snubber bridle looks like the one Marin pictures: ]
Ours too
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #69

City: Miami
Quote:

The rode force will always equal the wind force unless you are dragging. For example a forty knot breeze on your boat can create around 1500 pounds of force. 300' of your 3/8ths chain in 30' of water equates to around 2000 pounds of force before the catenary disappears and the last link lifts off the sea floor. At this point without a sunubber your anchor will experience sudden snatch loads as your bow rises and falls on any waves. If the snubber is sized properly it will stretch say 10% or 4' for a forty footer before increasing the force on the anchor. The key thing is it acts as a dampener against shock loads once the catenary disappears. If you let out more chain you increase this force and may not even need the snubber.

Spell check via iPhone.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #70
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Chain stopper does not replace the functions of the shubber other than protection of the windlass.

People arguing against the use of a snubber on an all chain setup, even with a chain stopper, are just bring silly.

If someone doesn't want to use a snubber that's of course just fine and their choice. But the advantages of using a properly designed snubber is obvious and undeniable. Just the fact they reduce snatch loads on the anchor and the vessel in a blow is worth the price admission.

But if domeone don't believe any of that, fine. Just please anchor down wind of me.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #71
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Bruce-- You can get a chain grab plate like the one I think you are talking about from Fisheries Supply. Or you could have one fabricated by a local machine shop. The plate pictured is called a "chain gripper."
Have something similar, but it is "cupped." (Sorry, no photograph.)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
People arguing against the use of a snubber on an all chain setup, even with a chain stopper, are just bring silly.

If someone doesn't want to use a snubber that's of course just fine and their choice. But the advantages of using a properly designed snubber is obvious and undeniable. Just the fact they reduce snatch loads on the anchor and the vessel in a blow is worth the price admission.

But if someone don't believe any of that, fine. Just please anchor down wind of me.
And I'm still interested in where you find a snap shackle or snap hook that will fit in a chain link and match the working load. The various high end snubber riggers such as Rope Inc and Ultra haven't figured that one out yet either, nor have the windlass guys.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
No, because there should be more length in the snubber line than the chain to the point of snubber attachment to the chain.
Tom, When I set my simple single line bear claw hook snubber, the chain is initially slack, very soon it tightens because (I think) the snubber line stretches, I release a little more chain, then the chain stays slack. I suspect your snubber line(s) stretched in the strong wind.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #74
Guru

Marin and markpierce, thanks, the Fisheries Supply plate is what I`d prefer, even better is the curved/rolled/cupped end to go under the link for more even support. I`ll check Fisheries website, does this mean real trawler fishermen do use snubbers .
Old 10-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Marin and markpierce, thanks, the Fisheries Supply plate is what I`d prefer, even better is the curved/rolled/cupped end to go under the link for more even support. I`ll check Fisheries website, does this mean real trawler fishermen do use snubbers .
Ultra Snubbers
Old 10-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #76
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Pretty sure that's what I've got.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
And I'm still interested in where you find a snap shackle or snap hook that will fit in a chain link and match the working load. The various high end snubber riggers such as Rope Inc and Ultra haven't figured that one out yet either, nor have the windlass guys.

I think you used to be able to buy them on Silk Road.

Seriously though, some of the high end snap shackles have a high working load but as you mentioned I don't know if they will fit in a chain link.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2015 View Post
Why do anchor and winch manufacturers offer such a range of products in relation to snubber so and attachments to chains, if there was no market or need for them ?
According to a video by noted financial journalist Alan Kohler (which I just watched on "Eureka Report"), providing supply is part of creating demand, and therefore sales. He had the temerity to suggest Australia start making things! He also had some nasty things to say about the mess central banks(Aust and US incl) are causing, and he could be right.
The simple plate with slot was not on Fisheries site but a "Captain Hook" hook by Johnson Marine is, it`s on Defender too, it makes a hook by curling its 2 prongs under the chain link it grips.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:36 AM   #79
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
The simple plate with slot was not on Fisheries site but a "Captain Hook" hook by Johnson Marine is, it`s on Defender too, it makes a hook by curling its 2 prongs under the chain link it grips.
Bruce--- I copied the illustration of the Sea Dog chain gripper plate from the Fisheries on-line catalog. It's listed under anchor chain accessories or something like that. Perhaps Fisheries' full on-line catalog is not available in Australia although I have no idea why it wouldn't be.

West Marine has the same Sea Dog chain gripper plate in their on-line catalog, too.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:39 AM   #80
Guru

Thanks Marin, I searched Sea Dog, up came Fisheries Supply etc as stockists.
Ordered it, shipping cost more than the item, oh well, getting it fabricated would have been a hassle.